Why do so many people have trouble spelling "Squier"?

What's Hot

Comments

• SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 720
    It’s one of those wierd things I guess …
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7364
    Sporky said:
    Offset said:
    More to the point, why did Fender name their budget offshoot 'Squier'?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier

Victor Carroll Squier was the idiot in question.
    Bloody idiot being born with a surname. 
    Bloody idiotic grandparents for passing down that wrongly spelled surname.  They should have changed the spelling to Squire knowing that the name would be so commonly used in the years to come.

There used to be a driver at work that was given the name Lord as a first name because I believe one of his forebears had that as a surname, but his parents gave him the middle name "Mick" that he adopted as his first name for most purposes other than on official documents like his drivers licence.  Not "Michael", but just plain old "Mick".  He took great pride in introducing himself in certain settings as Lord Mick McInulty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7364
    RickLucas said:
    Bargains can be had by searching for Squire instead of Squier.
    I've had several bargains from eBay years ago by searching for misspelled brand names like Fedner, Squire, Gibsin, etc. that weren't being found by others and attracting bids.  Years ago the search function was very specific, but these days it will unfortunately find and include the correctly spelled adverts in most cases.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72519
    A friend has just bought a Squier Esquire… or is it a Squire Esquier?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28593
    Make sure you say it "sex choir". 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As noted in regards to why Fender picked that brand out of the ones they owned or could have used, they picked that one because it was the same length word as Fender and also ended with an ER, so in the same font as the Fender logo, it looks broadly similar.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4936
    Billy Squier, Chris Squire.
    Squier guitar, Medieval knight's squire.
    I tend to just dismiss anything the person is saying if they can't be bothered to read what's on the headstock of the instrument they're trying to sell or claiming is the greatest.
    It's too prevalent to be just typos or slisdexia.

There's that and writing "GB" (gigabytes) as "gb" (grambits) or "Gb" (gigabits).
    How can you trust someone's technical assertions if they bon't even know the difference between a bit and a byte.
    I once had a "discussion" with someone about it and they claimed they were the same; I said you lend me £1000 and I'll pay you back £100 and we'll be quits.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28593
    Wouldn't you owe them another £25?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3545
    Sporky said:
    robgilmo said:
    Perhaps they suffer from dyslexia, What I dont understand is how some people can be so judgemental and critical of others without actually knowing their circumstances.
    I'm autistic. I find misspelled words and bad grammar very, very annoying. They scream at me from the page.

Perhaps your own judgementalism should be tempered with consideration of others' circumstances. 
    Not understanding something isnt the same as being judgemental, assuming someone is an idiot, had a bad education, blame the parents etc etc because they miss spelled a word however, is. 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72519
    To be honest, people who can't tell (or spell) the difference between "break" and "brake" annoys me more for some reason.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23024
    ICBM said:
    To be honest, people who can't tell (or spell) the difference between "break" and "brake" annoys me more for some reason.
    In principal I agree with you...
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9670
    I get unnecessarily annoyed by people who say "draw" when they mean "drawer". And English is my second language.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18910
    Sporky said:
    Wouldn't you owe them another £25?
    £24 shirley?
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 151
    It really isn’t a natural way of spelling the word and I’ve found myself double checking it at times. It is a pity that eBay caught up with spelling errors as a few years ago it was always worth trying to get into the head of a poor speller/common typo mistakes and look for a bargain. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9670
    Yes, a few years ago I snapped up a nice Campagnolo cycling jersey because it was listed as Campagnola!
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    robgilmo said:
    Perhaps they suffer from dyslexia, What I dont understand is how some people can be so judgemental and critical of others without actually knowing their circumstances.
    Have you not met any humans before?
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4563
    Er - OK...

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• TanninTannin Frets: 5517
    Face facts: it's an awkward spelling for a low-salience name. Everybody can spell the glamourous major names like Fender, Gibson, Guild, Martin, Taylor, Marshall, Vox, even Rickenbacker.  (Well, nearly everyone)

Why? Well partly because they are (mostly) easy names to remember and spell (stand fast Rickenbacker with it's weird extra  K and missing H, and Marshall with the extra L). And partly because they are important names, names that live in your headspace if you are a guitarist or even just a wannabe.  We naturally pay more attention to important names, take extra trouble to remember them, even (shock! horror!) check the spelling before we post. 

But unimportant low-rent names like ... er ... like whatever it is Fender call their cheap stuff .... who cares?
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3092
    I'm just glad Steve Via doesn't play one :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2962
    Tannin said:
    Face facts: it's an awkward spelling for a low-salience name. Everybody can spell the glamourous major names like Fender, Gibson, Guild, Martin, Taylor, Marshall, Vox, even Rickenbacker.  (Well, nearly everyone)

Why? Well partly because they are (mostly) easy names to remember and spell (stand fast Rickenbacker with it's weird extra  K and missing H, and Marshall with the extra L). And partly because they are important names, names that live in your headspace if you are a guitarist or even just a wannabe.  We naturally pay more attention to important names, take extra trouble to remember them, even (shock! horror!) check the spelling before we post. 

But unimportant low-rent names like ... er ... like whatever it is Fender call their cheap stuff .... who cares?
    If that's true, how is it that everyone can spell Harly Benton correctly?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom