Why do so many people have trouble spelling "Squier"?

What's Hot

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5510
    Bigsby said:
    Tannin said:
    Face facts: it's an awkward spelling for a low-salience name. Everybody can spell the glamourous major names like Fender, Gibson, Guild, Martin, Taylor, Marshall, Vox, even Rickenbacker.  (Well, nearly everyone)

Why? Well partly because they are (mostly) easy names to remember and spell (stand fast Rickenbacker with it's weird extra  K and missing H, and Marshall with the extra L). And partly because they are important names, names that live in your headspace if you are a guitarist or even just a wannabe.  We naturally pay more attention to important names, take extra trouble to remember them, even (shock! horror!) check the spelling before we post. 

But unimportant low-rent names like ... er ... like whatever it is Fender call their cheap stuff .... who cares?
    If that's true, how is it that everyone can spell Harly Benton correctly?
    Because it is spelled exactly how it sounds. The only likely misspelling is the one you just provided, and that not very likely. Even then, it is an easy misspelling to overlook. Who would notice? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7361
    edited April 28
    I'll just stick with my Matron acuostic and my Dannylektro.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11327
    edited April 28
    There's nowt so quier as folk.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4935
    edited April 28
    Tannin said:
    Face facts: it's an awkward spelling for a low-salience name. Everybody can spell the glamourous major names like Fender, Gibson, Guild, Martin, Taylor, Marshall, Vox, even Rickenbacker.  (Well, nearly everyone)

Why? Well partly because they are (mostly) easy names to remember and spell (stand fast Rickenbacker with it's weird extra  K and missing H, and Marshall with the extra L). And partly because they are important names, names that live in your headspace if you are a guitarist or even just a wannabe.  We naturally pay more attention to important names, take extra trouble to remember them, even (shock! horror!) check the spelling before we post. 

But unimportant low-rent names like ... er ... like whatever it is Fender call their cheap stuff .... who cares?
    As you may well know, Rickenbacker (with the 'k)' is the family name; they Americanised it in WWI (along with Eddie Rickenbacker, the famous flying ace), so anybody arging about the correct spelling is a century out of date.
    Bigsby said:
    Tannin said:

Hardly Bentone?

• BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2961
    prowla said:
    Tannin said:

As you may well know, Rickenbacker (with the 'k)' is the family name; they Americanised it in WWI (along with Eddie Rickenbacker, the famous flying ace), so anybody arging about the correct spelling is a century out of date.
    Bigsby said:
    Tannin said:

Hardly Bentone?

Shirly it's Harly Bentone?
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5058
    Tannin said:
     …check the spelling before we post. 
    I suspect the reason for most of the misspellings on here is that people don’t bother to read through and check what they’ve written before they post it. Or even after they’ve posted it, when it’s still possible of course to edit a post and correct any errors. It’s the same with emails and other messages in everyday life, standards are definitely slipping… 

(…rants on about how they don’t teach English proper like wot they dun in the 60s and 70s when I wuz at skool…)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 646
    Tannin said:
    I suspect the reason for most of the misspellings on here is that people don’t bother to read through and check what they’ve written before they post it. Or even after they’ve posted it, when it’s still possible of course to edit a post and correct any errors. It’s the same with emails and other messages in everyday life, standards are definitely slipping… 

(…rants on about how they don’t teach English proper like wot they dun in the 60s and 70s when I wuz at skool…)
    They probably would not notice. I edit texts for a living. I find clients misspell easy words, even some that are crucial in their work. They have done so for years, without being corrected. They have blindspots; I suppose we all do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11806
    What's wrong with Squires?

The Clossic Veeb range are brilliant?!

;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4935
    Bigsby said:
    prowla said:
    Tannin said:

Bigsby said:
    Tannin said:

Hardly Bentone?

Shirly it's Harly Bentone?

It's Hardly, Hardly, Hardly!
    (And don't call me Shirly.)
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3290
    Is it because Randy Rhodes and David Gilmore played them?
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12930
    I get unnecessarily annoyed by people who say "draw" when they mean "drawer". And English is my second language.
    God, yes. This. 

Those people should be headed to a particularly vicious level of hell if you ask me. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 151
    I get unnecessarily annoyed by people who say "draw" when they mean "drawer". And English is my second language.
    God, yes. This. 

Those people should be headed to a particularly vicious level of hell if you ask me. 

I feel the urine in my bladder starting to simmer every time I see loose confused with lose. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11928
    edited April 28
    Litterick said:
    Tannin said:

They probably would not notice. I edit texts for a living. I find clients misspell easy words, even some that are crucial in their work. They have done so for years, without being corrected. They have blindspots; I suppose we all do.
    I bet a large swathe of those following this thread forensically and meticulously pored over your post in the hope they'd find some tiny spelling mistake or grammatical error  3
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11327
    Offset said:
    Litterick said:
    Tannin said:

I bet a large swathe of those following this thread forensically and meticulously pored over your post in the hope they'd find some tiny spelling mistake or grammatical error  3
    Sometimes it's easy to spot, like the missing full stop at the end of a sentence.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    scrumhalf said:
    Offset said:
    Litterick said:
    Tannin said:

Sometimes it's easy to spot, like the missing full stop at the end of a sentence.
    Touche sir!
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2298
    I'm having trouble with your accent (é)
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2298
    I understand that spelling and punctuation are not seen as important in schools these days, but it does make things hard to understand when "too"is spelt "to" and commas or full stops are missed out, together with capital letters.

I scraped a C in English O level, but I do try...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5058
    Litterick said:
    Tannin said:

How would they know they’ve been making mistakes for all these years then? ;)

I worked in PR and communications in financial services for 30+ years and I was a demon about using good English and avoiding mistakes in written communications. The teams under me became pretty good at producing error-free work once they got to know me. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12406
    I could care less how its spelt.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I could care less how its spelt.
    I must admit I prefer 'spelled'  ;)