Anyone bought a guitar from Japan ??

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
Been looking at getting a higher end Tokai lp custom alike , a white one with an ebony board .
not much in the uk at the moment , but I wondered how practical it was to but one from Japan where there’s more choice ?
has anyone done it ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 854
    I’ve ordered 5 guitars and quite a few pedals from Japan yahoo auctions over the last 5 years or so.  You need to use a buying website like Buyee or Zenmarket as we can’t access Japanese Yahoo auctions website from the uk. 

I would love to travel to Japan on a guitar shopping trip. A few members here have had the pleasure of shopping in Japan. 

Advise -

1. Study the photos as the descriptions aren’t great. 
    2. If you aren’t sure then go with your gut and find a different guitar. 
    3.  Remember you will have to pay a) Japan postage fees plus b) handling fees plus c) international shipping fees plus d) customs charges.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7913

I've bought a few basses and a guitar from Japan, the most recent one was through eBay and went fine.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    Here is my costs from my last guitar purchase from Japan in 2022. 

Purchase price

£703.37

Buyee Service Fee

£2.00

Payment fee

£1.00

Std Plan

£3.29

Local shipping

International ship

£130.49

UK Customs

25% roughly

£159.50

Total price paid £999.65

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 723
    Everything @Neilybob said, basically. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27858
    A couple of my Kawais came direct from Japan.

Only took a few days, cost something like £100 for shipping (air).

Just make sure you buy from someone who has experience of packing for air shipping and filling in the paperwork for duty/VAT calcs.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6154
    Paul_C said:

I've bought a few basses and a guitar from Japan, the most recent one was through eBay and went fine.
    I've been wary of using eBay to buy from Japan as there are often multiple listings for the same item. I assume that the lowest offer is the seller who actually holds the item but there's no certainty to that and so I end up passing. Saying that, I have bought a couple of drum machines and they both were fine and delivered very quickly too.
    edited April 30
    JezWynd said:
    Paul_C said:

I've been wary of using eBay to buy from Japan as there are often multiple listings for the same item. I assume that the lowest offer is the seller who actually holds the item but there's no certainty to that and so I end up passing. Saying that, I have bought a couple of drum machines and they both were fine and delivered very quickly too.
    Generally in that scenario, none of the advertisers actually have the guitar.

If someone buys from their ad, then they'll go buy it from whoever the seller is (generally a shop).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27612
    I bought one when I was there in Feb.  

Actually had my eye on several. Most of the big Tokyo dealers (Ishibashi, Ikebe, Kurosawa, NicoNico) are extremely well setup for international buyers and will help any way they can. And the Yen is low right now so used prices tend to be quite competitive for the first time in at least 10 years. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6154
    TTony said:
    JezWynd said:
    Paul_C said:

Generally in that scenario, none of the advertisers actually have the guitar.

If someone buys from their ad, then they'll go buy it from whoever the seller is (generally a shop).
    In that case, is there a way to do an image search and locate the store, who presumably are selling at the lowest price of all? I'm presuming that all the eBay sellers are using the store's images, as all sellers use the same pics.
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1745
    Hi Ant, Also see if you can get the Japanese sales tax removed from the price i recall it being either 5 or perhaps 10%.

that might go some way towards covering the shipping and impost costs.

Cheers,
    Ben.
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 157
    edited April 30
    I'm on the hunt for something with humbuckers or P90s, Les Paul or something ES-355 like. If you gents see any good Japan deals from trusted sellers feel free to share! £1,00-1,500 budget for something USED.

@Neilybob what was your last purchase out of curiosity?
  • Pete.RPete.R Frets: 462
    edited May 1
    I've bought some of my FGNs directly from Japan,
    big stores like Kurosawa ship overseas, bought 2 guitars from them, easy to deal with
    Kurosawa does remove the 10% japanese sales-tax

Or you can buy via a proxy-service like Zen-Market,
    they list items from smaller sellers in Japan who don't ship outside, bought two guitars via Zen-Market.
    Good packing and fast shipment.

Be careful if you look on eBay, there are lots of sellers who don't own what they offer, 
    and they sometimes offer a few thousand items.
    'spp-international' and 'japanproduct' are just two of them
    If you buy from one of them, they try to get the item in Japan and send it to you with a big price-hike
    If the item is already sold, which happens a lot - you'll get your money back after a week or more....
    In the meantime they work with your cash for free
    I've seen a guitar listed by such sellers weeks after I've bought and had it already here in Germany

In my experience it is only interesting for models that aren't regulary available in your country
    or used guitars.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 182
    I once bought a synth from David Sylvian.
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 30
    Octavio said:
    I'm on the hunt for something with humbuckers or P90s, Les Paul or something ES-355 like. If you gents see any good Japan deals from trusted sellers feel free to share! £1,00-1,500 budget for something USED.

@Neilybob what was your last purchase out of curiosity?
    This! And it's now my #1. 

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/237554/ngd-just-in-from-japan-navigator-content
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4757
    I’ve bought Tokai through the Japanese stores and have had very good experiences.  There are some fantastic guitars to be had that we never ever see here.
    A new premium range Tokai LP will only be slightly over your budget.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3254
    edited May 1
    Serious suggestion that I have actually done.  If it's an expensive enough guitar, one where the import fees are going to be comparable to spending a few days in Japan, fly out for a few days, buy the guitar in person, and fly back with it.  Do this right, as in time it for when flights and hotels are at their cheapest, not only will you not pay any tax, you'll also save quite a lot of money.  Though some imagination and forethought needs to be used here, for example, like flying out to Japan with a piece of shit cheap Harley Benton in a hardcase and then bin/donate it in Japan before flying back with the guitar you flew out to buy, and claim the good guitar is the guitar you brought out to Japan with you, and not the cheap shitty Harley Benton in a cheap hardcase that you flew out with.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
     like flying out to Japan with a piece of shit cheap Harley Benton in a hardcase and then bin/donate it in Japan before flying back with the guitar you flew out to buy, and claim the good guitar is the guitar you brought out to Japan with you, and not the cheap shitty Harley Benton in a cheap hardcase that you flew out with.
    Sssshhhhh!!

FFS, don't share secrets like that.  Customs had never heard of that one before.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3690
    TTony said:
     like flying out to Japan with a piece of shit cheap Harley Benton in a hardcase and then bin/donate it in Japan before flying back with the guitar you flew out to buy, and claim the good guitar is the guitar you brought out to Japan with you, and not the cheap shitty Harley Benton in a cheap hardcase that you flew out with.
    Sssshhhhh!!

FFS, don't share secrets like that.  Customs had never heard of that one before.

Oh come on Tony - it's a masterplan.  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24782
    I've had 1 bass and a few pedals.

Ishibashi and another large place that I cannot remember the name of!