New Tom Andersons at Peach

What's Hot

Comments

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2228
    Offset said:
    A £4k Strat/Tele copy?  Nah.
    Exactly what I thought ... 

Ha. I’ve lost all perspective at this point when it comes to new guitar prices.  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 898
    Offset said:

In my mind that is like saying a Ferrari Testarossa is a copy of a Ford Anglia
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2343
    elstoof said:
    MusicMan have stopped hard cases entirely, all gigbags now. Honestly it’s sort of put me off, especially when all their shapes are so unusual it’ll be almost impossible to get a suitable aftermarket 
    Yeah, I'm in two minds about this.

Mono cases are superb, and are NOT cheap, at all. Very hard wearing and ergonomic.

However, if you have the room, surely a hardcase is better with high end instruments, with the choice of you using a universal Mono bag you have for virtually all of your guitars?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27423
    I have mixed feelings on bags vs cases. I love my Mono bags and frankly don't take a hardcase out of the house very often these days. But if I'm paying thousands for a guitar I like it to come in a hardcase, albeit in my case because eventually I expect to ship everything from Abu Dhabi to the UK and I'll want everything hardcased for that container trip. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4923
    edited May 10
    It's just going to be one of those things in guitarland where you can't please everyone, I'd much prefer a pro level gigbag with all guitars than a hardcase. Even the venerable Les Paul that everyone panics about, I'd much prefer it in a gigbag. Cases are a nightmare to store when you have all your guitars out.

If I was a touring musician and putting them in a van every night, I'd probably prefer a hardcase or even a flightcase and a Hiscox would be invaluable as they're the best cases. How many of us does that apply too though? The massive and stupidly heavy PRS ones, and the Fender Tweed cases are a nightmare. Taking your guitars down the Dog and Duck once a week or rehearsals then I wouldn't care really, gigbag is fine. Obviously, everyone is different in their needs, hence why manufacturers probably can't win either way. That being said, gigbags aren't really that much cheaper than cases, but they save a shit load on shipping charges......

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12186
    The only guitar for which I'd like to see a dedicated gigbag is my Firebird.  It hardly - if ever - leaves the house but the Gibson hardcase it came in is like Hagrid's coffin, and it weighs as much.
    edited May 10
    Offset said:

Each to their own, the TA I owned was about the best made and finished guitar I've owned except for my Suhr. Coincidentally it was also up there in playability, sound, tonality etc. etc.. I've played cheaper guitars that were decent of course but the TA was on a different level. No standard level guitar I've played was as good as that.

It might be more than you'd pay for one and that's fine. I have other hobbies like cycling where I wouldn't spend £8k on the fancier bikes others would. Thing is though, the £8k bike will be a better bike than my £1.5k one, but I don't comment with statements like I wouldn't pay £4k for that Raleigh Mustang copy.....

The two things can exist together and probably sound very similar through the same setup, same as I can ride down that perfectly good hillside on a shit Halfords Apollo or a £5k Cotic and probably have just as good a time either way, but it doesn't stop the TA being a better guitar and it will play and feel like the premium product it is.

Obviously YMMV and all them caveats, but the reverse snobbery is as ever, tiresome. 

• jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 668
    It's also far from accurate  - Fender have never in their history built a guitar as good as a Tom Anderson (or insert x brand from many alternatives here).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^^ Not really reverse snobbery.  I'd happily pay £4k for an Ivison Dakota, but I wouldn't want to pay £4k for a Strat.  That's just my interal logic, but as you said - horses for courses.
    edited May 10
    Offset said:
    ^^ Not really reverse snobbery.  I'd happily pay £4k for an Ivison Dakota, but I wouldn't want to pay £4k for a Strat.  That's just my interal logic, but as you said - horses for courses.
    Thing is, the Tom Anderson would have had as much care and attention to it's build as an Ivison, have you seen the work that goes into making that neck/body join? 

One thing that may separate them is that Tom isn't building them all of course, whereas Neil is, but Tom started off like that too. Hopefully Neil can get to that kind of level too maybe.

It is still kind of reverse snobbery that you wouldn't pay £4k for a bolt on because of some weirdly perceived notion that a set neck is a lot more artisan and harder work. Plenty of time goes into both styles at the boutique level.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1486
    It's also far from accurate  - Fender have never in their history built a guitar as good as a Tom Anderson (or insert x brand from many alternatives here).
    That's not even remotely true. I've had a few Andersons in the past and a couple of Suhrs and I'd take a good Fender over either every time.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27423
    edited May 10
    Offset said:
    The only guitar for which I'd like to see a dedicated gigbag is my Firebird.  It hardly - if ever - leaves the house but the Gibson hardcase it came in is like Hagrid's coffin, and it weighs as much.
    I was thinking the same thing about Explorers. I'd love to have one again (or Firebird for the first time) but those cases are such a pain in the arse. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 668
    That's not even remotely true. I've had a few Andersons in the past and a couple of Suhrs and I'd take a good Fender over either every time.

We are not going to agree so that's fine. There is no playability, quality, or ease of access criteria where Fender are superior to nearly any guitar available. They might make people feel good so they prefer them but that is not an objective criteria. They are clunky, older designs that people love but they are still clunky older designs originally manufactured to maximise efficiency and profit.
    Boromedic said:

It is still kind of reverse snobbery that you wouldn't pay £4k for a bolt on because of some weirdly perceived notion that a set neck is a lot more artisan and harder work. Plenty of time goes into both styles at the boutique level.
    Ah - now that's where you're wrong.  The fact it's a bolt-one has absolutely nothing to do with it and didn't even figure in my thinking when I posted.  Six of my nine guitars are bolt-ons and it just happens to be a configuration I prefer.

Nor did I say I wouldn't pay £4k for a bolt-on, but it would have to be pretty unique and press a whole load of my buttons :-)
    edited May 10
    Well in that case, consider me corrected, although I feel that other posters are definitely pushing that vibe sometimes...

So if you wouldn't pay £4k for a Strat, which bolt on would you pay it for....?

Boromedic said:
    Well in that case, consider me corrected, although I feel that other posters are definitely pushing that vibe sometimes...

Ha ha!  I knew you'd ask that!  This (and it's double the price):

https://www.gyrockguitars.com/the-billy-f-gibbons-special/
    Offset said:
    Boromedic said:

Wow, that's certainly different, knowing Billy though it'll be a great guitar too like.

^^ I've adored them since they were first announced.  A lotta bread though...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23327
    Boromedic said:
    Offset said:
    Boromedic said:

Wow, that's certainly different, knowing Billy though it'll be a great guitar too like.
    Oh wow.... no, that is not for me.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2418
    Offset said:

Times change, people now pay £350 for a single pickup. £4k for a finely built guitar is not unreasonable unless you are still living in the pa$t.