Eurovision 2024

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23242
    It was the Jimmy Savile element I'd forgotten!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7139
    Thought the weird dutch entry had a touch of the Savilles about him when the semi was on the other day; nerdy blonde bowl cut, tracksuit and rose lens sunglasses. He was even pictured in front of some sort of noncebus.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1099
    I don't think the winning song was very good, though I only watched about a minute of the performance on the choob. Then again the UK entry was terrible too.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5003
    I used to watch it when the songs mattered. Now it is all visual, lights, FX and dance routines. Not worth watching any more. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7817
    Rocker said:
    I used to watch it when the songs mattered.
    When was that? 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12080
    Each to their own and all of that, but it's total garbage.  And the way the Israeli contestant was treated was nothing short of despicable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1540
    edited May 12
    Never mind 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3089
    Offset said:
    Each to their own and all of that, but it's total garbage.  And the way the Israeli contestant was treated was nothing short of despicable.
    Agreed, just a young lady trying to sing a song at a contest, holed up in her hotel room in between performances. 

By all means protest against Israel, but she shouldn't feel her life is threatened. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12080
    euan said:
    Never mind 
    I'd imagine she minded quite a bit.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3089
    tony99 said:
    Thought the weird dutch entry had a touch of the Savilles about him when the semi was on the other day; nerdy blonde bowl cut, tracksuit and rose lens sunglasses. He was even pictured in front of some sort of noncebus.
    Yes, I felt the same thing. He probably knows nothing about Saville...or he's his greatest fan. Surely one of his stylists knew?

"Look mate, you're not going to win looking like a dead British paedophile from the 70's." 

But perhaps his infamy never reached the continent?
  • suspiciousmindssuspiciousminds Frets: 396
    I’ve watched eurovision since being a kid in the mid 70’s - i love the cheesy aspect and downright sillyness of some of the entrants and i like watching the build up with the semifinals too but i honestly thought this years was awful.
    It’s become some sort of vehicle to promote gender for some reason - why is that, its just a song contest.
    Some of this years entries were just plain weird and downright seedy.
    Presenters swearing, Bambi thug, Ollys dance routine and the spanish dance routine, a guy with no pants on etc etc, 
    It’s always been a weird show but i thought this year was just an uncomfortable watch at times.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4973
    edited May 12

Sporky said:
    I didn't think the performance was camp at all. Camp, to me, implies fun.

And the song was a tubeless dirge. 
    I'm in your camp on that one!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 914
    Don’t forget - people don’t vote to give us nil points, they just don’t vote for the turd-like dross we put forward*, hence the big fat zero…

*Sam Ryder aside
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72740

When was that? 
    I would say fairly recently. I’m not just an old man shouting at clouds - I do like both the Eurovision and a lot of more typical Europop, but I really do feel the quality of the songs has reached rock bottom in the last few years, with some notable exceptions… Sam Ryder’s Space Man being probably the last. I didn’t hear a single memorable song this time, including the winner - it was just one of the least bad of a very poor bunch.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@Roland any chance of merging the two Eurovision threads (one here in Live and one in Off Topic)?

(Not if it's too much hassle of course)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8788
    Your wish …..
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Bless you sir. :)
    I skimmed through my recording yesterday evening before deleting it: I stopped at Austria, Ireland, Albania, and Norway.
    I can remember the hook from Austria (would've been better with lyrics instead of rum-de-dum-diddy) and Norway (ooo-eeeeeee-oooo-aaaahah), thought the Ireland one was very arty, and the Albania one was innocent fun.
    edited May 13
    Offset said:
    She was there representing the country, not herself and the song’s previous lyrics were political and had to be sanitised; it would’ve been better if they’d been booted out, but that decision was not taken. 
    Given the threats made, the protection measures were appropriate and if there were any attempts planned they didn’t come to fruition. 
    I’m sure she’s fine as a person but she was there as a figurehead of the state.