Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Blackstar Fly 3 Mini Amp

What's Hot

Comments

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 922
    gusman2x said:
    Got one today from Dawsons. Played it in the shop and really liked it. Granted it's not a full amp, but it's just what I've been looking for noodling on the sofa. I normally use a smokey, but it's a bit too fuzzy depending on what I want to play, and destroys batteries.

So should have been ace right? Well no. I asked the shop assistant if it took a std centre negative 9v supply and she said yes. Should have checked myself I guess. I have no batteries in the house, and haven't found any PSAs in the house that meet the specs or fit. 

Ragin.

Think I'm just going to take it back out of bloody mindedness.
    6.5v centre positive. The centre pin is bigger than normal pedal ones (don't know sizes without googling). Ratbags obviously do it to force you to buy it from them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Old thread but I'm loving the portability of these. What cable do you use to connect your phone? 
    That'd be pretty awesome... Use your phone to play your tunes and you play along at the same time. 
    To be fair I'm sure I can do this on the ID60 head - I need to check required cables.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I picked up a used one of these from a local Facebook group, superb "sofa amp".  Much better than the mini fender and Marshall branded ones I've had in the past.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited August 2016
    How do you connect your phone to it to play music - what cable? 
    £80 for the stereo pack plus adapter is pretty decent. 

Wonder if anybody's gigged one lol... How about that for a backup amp!!
    ...a standard 3.5mm stereo audio cable for connecting it to phone/laptop etc. Sounds great through the Fly. 
  • Ah that's easy enough. 
    For the ID60 I think I need some sort of mini-USB to jack cable.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    When i played one i was told to face the other way and not look at it.
    They sound so big in stereo with the cab, or at least way bigger than your brain expects, which is why i was told to look the other way and just play.

For someone looking for a bedroom amp it's brilliant.
    If i wasn't so in love with this Vox modelling amp i would have one, it was on the shortlist when i got this Vox.

I was recently *told* that 3w and such a tiny amp is "Ridiculous when you can get a Line 6 Spider 15 for that money !"

That brightened up my day. Can't wait to hear that shootout !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I bought one with the extension cab and to be honest it's utter shite. Complete garbage even for a sofa amp. 

Used it for 10 mins and will be selling it on
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A wide range of opinions on this then lol!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A wide range of opinions on this then lol!

It was never going to set the world on fire at that price but to me it's very toy like and basically a piece of junk

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    I bought one with the extension cab and to be honest it's utter shite. Complete garbage even for a sofa amp. 

Couldn't disagree more. It's a very small amp so has its limitations for sure but I find it VERY usable.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Yeah, I don't know what's wrong with it at all. Stereo, decent clean sound, decent delay. All for less than the price of a pedal. What's not to like. Have you tried playing with the tone/voicing knob? Turn it all the way left into Fender territory and tell me that doesn't sound decent. 
    A wide range of opinions on this then lol!
    Try an Olympic scoring method, discount the best and worse statements and average the rest. 

For a small battery powered cheap amp it's streets ahead of the competition. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've always liked my one as an extension speaker, but considered it a bit of toy as a guitar amp. Except...  I'm using it more and more (clean channel) for guitar practice and like it more and more. For any playing that doesn't require anything more than a generic clean tone, it's pretty good and convenient. I think I've become a fan.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    edited August 2016
    Been thinking about getting one for a while. Does the clean channel take drive/marshall in a box type pedals ok?
  • TTBZ said:
    Been thinking about getting one for a while. Does the clean channel take drive/marshall in a box type pedals ok?
    Yes, seems to like my DLS clone...

I think it sounds better through headphones, maybe some sort of cab emulation going on? 
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    I bought one with the extension cab and to be honest it's utter shite. Complete garbage even for a sofa amp. 

Whilst it wouldn't (obviously) be the first choice in many situations, for the niche it occupies it's the best one out there. It sounds as good as it could for the brief. Very useful when one prioritises portability over all else. For example, I went on a stag do and wanted to bring a guitar. Instead of a bulky acoustic, I took my £20 Crafter Strat copy (a decent guitar in its own right) and the Blackstar I got free with a subscription to G&B. If the whole thing got trashed in some mad party I'd only be down a couple of tenners, and I don't care who plays it, or whether they'd washed their hands. The amp disappeared into my overnight bag, and got used loads for late-night singalongs in the garden. There's something to be said for cheap, portable, basic gear that makes music. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    edited August 2016
    For lying-on-the-sofa-can't-be-arsed-to-get-up-and-set-up-anything-else-because-I-want-to-fuck-around-and-still-reach-the-beer/tv-remote it cannot be beat. I also have the extension cab but it never gets used because if I wanted to be that particular about my sound I wouldn't be lying on the sofa aimlessly noodling.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    Would you guys take this over a THR10 for low volume playing? I tend to only use 1 or 2 sounds from my amp so the extra models, fx etc on the thr don't bother me. I just want a good usable British rock distorted tone and half decent clean. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    Would you guys take this over a THR10 for low volume playing? I tend to only use 1 or 2 sounds from my amp so the extra models, fx etc on the thr don't bother me. I just want a good usable British rock distorted tone and half decent clean. 
    THR every time 

That's a quality little amp with some great tones. The Blackstar doesn't cut it 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom