Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Setup

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877

Send it to Suhr, they do a brand new neck, put it back together, should be easy as pie being a bolt on, and part if it they will set it up back to you in factory settings, and might even get some new strings in the process.  It will be pretty much a new guitar when it comes back, they should even give the whole guitar a quick polish as well to remove any dirt.

If you don't this green tint will be a constant reminder to you even if it plays great, subconsiously you want it gone.  If this were to cost you like £300 then yes, you would have to think hard but this is free of charge, not even postage.  Why wouldn't you do it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow, hats off to Suhr.

That's brilliant service. They could probably still use the old neck on a b stock model - perhaps pair it with a dinged or imperfectly finished body and give someone the chance to buy a Suhr guitar with a fair few hundred knocked off. All they'd need to do is redress the frets and clean it all up.
  • sunshinewellysunshinewelly Frets: 731
    edited November 2014
    I have heard of suhr doing this before - they have what is universally considered the best customer service out of any guitar maker. I cant see fender or Gibson offering to do that.

Its the kind of service that fractual (makers of the axe fx ) are known to also carry out
  • Yep, great service!!! I've e-mailed them to ask if I can pay on top of this for a neck upgrade - roasted maple or whatever. Just to know the possibilities. If not then no problem!

So you guys reckon I'm ok shipping in my standard non-moulded Hiscox case.. and there will probably be no "customs" tax.

Couldn't have asked for better - Suhr are top notch in my book. Simply amazing. Absolutely amazing.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Result. Lowden fixed a trussrod issue for me after 17 years of ownership so there are good companies around.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    FYI this is the case (see photos) - think I should upgrade and buy a proper moulded flight case??
    That *is* a proper moulded flight case, and the best on the market too!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited November 2014
    'mags - wow - that's amazing!!! Was it free of charge!?

ICBM - oh!! I thought I needed one of these steel moulded ones with padded interior (the Hiscox interior isn't padded as such).
  • that case is plenty strong enough
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    ICBM - oh!! I thought I needed one of these steel moulded ones with padded interior (the Hiscox interior isn't padded as such).
    The steel ones aren't moulded, they are assembled :).

You mean a full flightcase, which has plywood panels, sometimes sheeted in metal, metal edge strips and big corners. They are definitely stronger than a Hiscox, but they weigh a ton and are awkward unless you're properly touring in at least a van, and preferably have someone to carry them for you.

Put the guitar in with some light padding to stop the guitar banging around. Box the Hiscox in a slightly oversized box with bubblewrap between the two, and it will be fine. At that point it's far more likely to simply go missing than be damaged in transit.

Not to scare you too much hopefully!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My PRS came in its normal case inside a cardboard box with some polystyrene stuffed inside. It survived perfectly.
  • :) No problem - thanks, guys!
    Sounds like a plan - padding in the case itself around the guitar... padding outside of the case between that and the cardboard box... et voila! I've asked Suhr who they use for shipping as I want to use the same lot ;D
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    That's pretty cool of them to offer that kind of service.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16681

Its most likely a mineral streak.  to be fair to suhr its hard to know if it left the factory like that.  There is a good chance it would have been invisible until finish was applied, it is very subtle.  Even then it may have developed further with UV exposure, or looked quite different under factory lights

really good of them to offer what they have 

• thomasross20;409187" said:
    :) No problem - thanks, guys!

Sounds like a plan - padding in the case itself around the guitar... padding outside of the case between that and the cardboard box... et voila! I've asked Suhr who they use for shipping as I want to use the same lot ;D
    I use bubble wrap and scrunched up newspaper to pack guitars and, touchwood, they arrive in one piece :)

• GruGru Frets: 339
    Great result and superb customer service. Great to know that you have that kind of backup even when the guitar has passed through a few owners.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    Great service from Suhr, nice to see. 

One caveat to the OP, make sure you get and keep documentation to show you sent your guitar for service otherwise you could be charged by customs on it's re entry to UK.

If that should happen you can get in touch with HMRC for a refund if you have the paperwork. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What documentation do I get showing that it went in for service? I'll ask Suhr about this.. Good point, thanks!
    Ask suhr for a reference or work number the guitar will be booked in, print out the emails, write a covering letter, send it insured and in the letter ask them to confirm safe receipt on top of tracking it through the courier. Provide them with return address in the letter.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Remember to put down the guitar's serial number in the letter too