Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Setup

What's Hot

Comments

• GruGru Frets: 339
    Personally, now that you have changed the setup on the guitar, I think it would be unfair to ask the seller to pay for a setup.

You mentioned that the bridge came off, is that definately seated properly? Maybe one of the pivot screws needs adjusting?

I am a little confused re the buzzing, if you raised the relief and saddles so it's really high, I don't imagine it can be the frets?

Could it be something under the pick guard resonating or a loose trem spring?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I am also confused how a bridge can come off under tension.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    I am also confused how a bridge can come off under tension.
    Easily, if the strings have been slacked too far and the package gets thrown/dropped.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Good luck getting the seller to pay for a setup - why should he?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    I think if you've had a fiddle with it, then I think the seller would be quite entitled to say no to a request of paying for a set up.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think if the seller had failed disclose that the neck was a funny colour on a high-end guitar that the buyer should be entitled to a refund.

It seems to me that the buyer is being extremely reasonable under the circumstances.
  • Even on a Pro-Series, I cannot imagine Suhr would intend to use cosmetically imperfect wood. They are cheaper because they are built in large batches - not because they use sub-standard materials.
    I've seen a top end Suhr with mineral stains in the maple neck. 
  • ICBM said:
    I am also confused how a bridge can come off under tension.
    Easily, if the strings have been slacked too far and the package gets thrown/dropped.
    This. The strings were slackened for transport (as I would do myself). The bridge came off at one end and rested on a post. I took the springs off so I could put it back on - hopefully the knife edge is all ok.

UPDATE - the seller has kindly agreed to pay for the setup. I'm still waiting to hear from Suhr as to what the green is all about but it should (!) be cosmetic only so if I can get it set up perfectly then it's all set. Thumbs up to the seller for agreeing to this.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited November 2014
    Further update!! Despite being used, Suhr have gotten back to me saying if I wish, they can cover all shipping charges etc so that the guitar can be sent for them so they can look at the neck. The only thing they wont cover is the cost of damage to the body etc. Basically they're saying they will build a new neck for this guitar if I want to go ahead with that course of action. The thing is - apart from the discolouration, the neck is pretty amazing... feels great... 

What do you think? Good of them to do this even though I'm not the first owner!
    As usual, it's not the making of a mistake - which I think using a neck with this sort of flaw in it was, at the market level Suhr is - which separates a great company from an average one, it's how you deal with the mistake.

I wouldn't worry about a new neck feeling any less great than the one you have. They're CNC tooled so the profile will be as good as identical.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I was contemplating getting a Suhr moulded SKB case to ship it in as right now I have a generic Hiscox case... what do you think? Just pack the Hiscox out so it doesn't slide around?
  • I agree with @ICBM - how a company handles a problem says a lot about their ethics. John Suhr posts on TGM as 'Husky' and is sometimes quite 'in your face' - he is always spot on with customer service issues.

In the great scheme of things, the cost of making and fitting a new neck is probably less injurious to their business than having someone pointing out that the neck on their Suhr has a strange discolouration.

This shows a keen business brain and integrity on JS's part. Any company that works that hard to protect its reputation deserves to succeed.
    I was contemplating getting a Suhr moulded SKB case to ship it in as right now I have a generic Hiscox case... what do you think? Just pack the Hiscox out so it doesn't slide around?
    I'd go with the Hiscox. They're better than any other case, and a bit of extra room - as long as it's softly padded so the guitar can't bang about inside - is a good thing.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited November 2014
    Had an initial idea of paying them extra to put a birdseye maple neck on it.... :o That wont happen, though - unless I was willing to pay for the whole new neck! But do you think I'd be able to pay a bit extra to ask for any sort of mod?

Not saying I will but... what do you think of swapping PRS 57/08s for Suhr Aldrich pups? The tonal clarity I get (especially cleans) from my Suhr is better than the PRS. The PRS is heavier and the 57/08s shine when distorted... but the cleans are sterile in comparison.
  • ^ I think you will find the character differences are more to do with the physical construction of the guitars - materials, bolt-on v glued neck, scale length, etc.

IIRC Suhr doesn't like figured necks as they are less stable.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Would it be an option to just ship the neck back rather than the whole guitar?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    /\That was my thought, too.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• that would make much more sense
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    But if you send the whole guitar back, I assume they will also set it up before sending back. Possibly a win, win situation.
  • I'm shipping the whole guitar so they can also do a setup - remember I was banging on about buzz and also had to re-fit the bridge so I want them to check the knife edge. Basically get the to give it a proper once over - honestly this is great, massive thumbs up to Suhr!