Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Finished First guitar build. Shiny then not so shiny.

What's Hot

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
    I also have another option. This rosewood strat neck that I got from knuckleberryfinn. It needs a bit of fettling and I would simply have to re-shape the headstock but...

This is after marking it with a template from the neck pocket. I'd potentially leave the rosewood to overhang at the 22nd fret:

This is it at the moment. It's got a flat radius and I like the feel of it. I must admit it'd be fun making it a tele shape stock:

I'll stay with the maple neck mod too but have it's nice to have a couple of options on the table. Any thoughts?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2014
    Possible? Edit: I block sanded the heel and it fits better than the maple neck now. Looks like I'm going with it for now. Just for experience if nothing else.

• Judging on what we've seen so far, I reckon you'll do a cracking job on it! And yes - great experience. Make sure that the frets are going to be in exactly the right position in respect to the bridge before you commit, though...
    Thanks Andy! And I will..cheers.
    Cut the headstock, managed to get a snug fit, got rid of some sharp fret ends and polished and final sanded the neck. Paint and fitting next.
    I think I'm going to invest in a TMO FAT neck soon but will go with this for now for experience:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Marmite time. I've always liked the TV Jones burst headstock so thought, why not?
    Sod it:
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    edited December 2014
    I actually really like that effect, top work!
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    That is pretty
  • That is clever!
    Thanks again gents.
    I've lacquered it now. Soon be time to start getting this together.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    VERY smart that man!
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    edited December 2014
    Well, the 'smart' neck is twisted. I didn't notice it that much, but a mate did. So that's for the bin.

I've fettled the maple one and intend to fit that now. I'm just putting it together. Bit annoyed as the electrosocket I got from Northwest doesn't fit the threads of the jack on the Mojo set up. I'm a bit stuck with what to do with it right now. Edit: I've just read that it's not compatible with Switchcraft. They've put that statement in since  bought it, I'm sure!!!
    Annndd...Axecaster comes to the rescue...again!!! Hopefully the Switchcraft compatible one will get here before Chrimbo.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Somehow I'd missed this thread before, but just enjoyed reading through it, and it's good stuff, cheers Deadman. Liking the way you do things - of course it's making me want to start another build myself, especially since it's a tele you're putting together. Going to be a great guitar. :)
    Thanks @Megii.

It's finished barring the electrosocket installation and a set up by my local tech. Bloody hell it was hard work. It'll be a while before I do anymore building. I hadn't done most things before and literally googled nearly every step. I opted to install the ground wire under the bridge plate with a star washer so hope it works. I'm going to ask the tech to file some grooves in the saddles too and give it the works. Well. That's it. The whole thing weighs about 8lb I guess. It's certainly not a heavy Tele.
    Pics up next.
    Shame about that rosewood neck, but never mind:
    Mojo and Fender goodness ready to go in:
    My bridge wire install option:
    Aching for a tech:
    Happy Christmas everyone. I'm off to get pissed.
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mate, I love it.  Proper worth the work.  Well done.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    That looks fantastic :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Fuckin' awesome.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Superb !  =D>
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    It is a pity about the rosewood neck, but I must say I think the maple was the right one in the end. A majestic job you've done there, especially for a first build. I wonder if you could just say a bit more about how exactly you got the poly finish off the fingerboard with the paint-stripper/stanley blade, working between the frets? That's something that might come in handy for me one day. Anyway, top stuff, and thanks for the thread.  =D>