Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Finished First guitar build. Shiny then not so shiny.

What's Hot

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
    Well, thank you for the kind words gents. I've just plugged it in and although it needs a set up, it sounds absolutely beautiful. Acoustically it's a ringer too. It actually feels good. I wasn't expecting that!
    @Megii. I held a brand new stanley blade flat and drew it back and forth until the wood began to expose, then coated in a good dose of stripper and left it to work. Then I used scotchbrite and the blade again for the stubborn bits that were left to remove the remainder. It took hours and I wouldn't advise it! It was a case of needs must for me though.
    I'm still thinking about a TMO FAT like @Loobs has just got and I know jd feels the love for them too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Nice Black Flag avatar too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ;)
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Deadman said:
    Well, thank you for the kind words gents. I've just plugged it in and although it needs a set up, it sounds absolutely beautiful. Acoustically it's a ringer too. It actually feels good. I wasn't expecting that!
    @Megii. I held a brand new stanley blade flat and drew it back and forth until the wood began to expose, then coated in a good dose of stripper and left it to work. Then I used scotchbrite and the blade again for the stubborn bits that were left to remove the remainder. It took hours and I wouldn't advise it! It was a case of needs must for me though.
    I'm still thinking about a TMO FAT like @Loobs has just got and I know jd feels the love for them too.
    I've done jobs like that before now - worth it in the end! Cheers for the info, appreciated. :)
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Missed this before today-great job-looks awesome. Is it rude to ask roughly how much you spent?

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    lloyd;451300" said:
    Missed this before today-great job-looks awesome. Is it rude to ask roughly how much you spent?
    Not at all mate. 350 quid all in.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Money well spent I'd say, cheers.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• The fitting you have used for attaching the ground wire to the bridge is genius, never thought of that. Where abouts did you find that particular piece?
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    That looks the mutts. For 350 quid your winning all day.
    Cheers for the positive words gents. I've messaged my local tech now, a guy called Steve Kendall who lives in Oxfordshire, so looking forward to getting a set up sometime soon hopefully. I'm also on the prowl for a befitting hard case.

@simonbeckwith, it's a solder lug. A very kind forumite gave it to me (Steve Robinson, revered Manchester Guitar Tech), but you can buy them here for the princely sum of 13p each:
    http://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/910/910K-ND/317251
    Again, it wasn't my idea to simply put the bridge pup screw through the solder lug screw hole. I googled it (as with most of the jobs on this build!)
  • Really nice job you've done there, but I somehow knew it would end up as a brilliant guitar.

I've just come to this thread very late as I have been away, but it was interesting compressing all the trials and tribulations into one read, you are tenacious to say the very least.

I am looking forward to the next instalment once it is all set up, that is one lovely Tele you have there  :)

Wow. Thanks @ChrisMusic. Very kind words. Happy Christmas fella.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    This has been a great thread. Been reading it from the start I'm not a tele person but that is a beauty
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    speshul91;452743" said:
    This has been a great thread. Been reading it from the start I'm not a tele person but that is a beauty
    Yeah, I prefer Radio too bro. :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    jd0272;452827" said:
    [quote="speshul91;452743"]This has been a great thread. Been reading it from the start I'm not a tele person but that is a beauty

Yeah, I prefer Radio too bro. :)[/quote]

Depends on the station. Commercial stations rarely play anything heavy enough for me

Just a suggestion @Deadman, but have you considered learning to do a fret level and dress, plus setup, yourself? I did that a few years ago, and it's great to be able get guitars playing really well, without having to spend a lot of cash and having to go to a tech. I started with this basic approach - not saying this video is perfect, but it got me going, and then I've been able to refine things a bit from there.

This is a post on fret levelling I did on another forum, FWIW:

Not saying I'm perfect either, but I can get results that I (and other people I know) think are good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Search crimson guitars on YouTube Ben does a great video on fret levelling and dressing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Food for thought lads.
    I think I could do it. It's just that the tech only charges £35 and as it's a build as opposed to a factory job I'd like an expert to give it the once over if that makes sense?
    I understand that. I've got a kit for Christmas I'm still deciding if I'm doing the final set up or taking it to my tech who says ballpark figure of 50
    Deadman said:
    Food for thought lads.
    I think I could do it. It's just that the tech only charges £35 and as it's a build as opposed to a factory job I'd like an expert to give it the once over if that makes sense?
    Just a suggestion :D - of course it's your guitar, and if you have a tech you trust that's absolutely fair enough. I've done fret levels/setups for guitarist friends for about that £35 figure as it happens. It's a confidence thing maybe, but I was just thinking if you've managed to put together as nice a guitar as that tele, then the frets and setup will not be beyond you. Sometimes the factory jobs are the ones most in need of attention re the frets and setup, in my experience.