Solo boosts - boost or cut?

What's Hot
I have done a search but cant find anything. I wondered what peoples preferences are towards getting a solo boost? I currently use a boost in the loop but since getting my Jubilee I no longer have the need for my passive attenuator in front of my amp for a quick clean setting. I was wondering whether putting this in the loop, setting my amps volume to my solo level and use the attenuator as a rhythm cut would be better? Is it safe to do this? Is it safer than boosting the loop level? Which is the best option on the amp?

The only reservation I have is that it uses a metal switch instead of the boss type buffered switch. I used to have an LPB-1 in the loop and this made a loud pop - will the passive attenuator do this? Its a Vein-Tap Leech

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I've always used a Micro Amp in the loop, even on multi channel amps. 
  • photekphotek Frets: 1469
    Not sure if these are ok in a loop but worked great infront of my JCM800 to create a cleanish sounds when engaged then switch off for leads.

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/homebrew-electronics-detox-eq-603398
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1269
    EHX LPB in the effects loop here, set to Boost.

Passive cut works fine as well though (I seem to recall Award/Session used to market a box intended for just this purpose) but I kind of like what the LPB does to the sound when it's cranked up - I think with the volumes set high and a fair amount of boost something in the FX return or downstream in the power amp actually gets overdriven just a little bit and it does wonderful things to my (nominally clean) tone as well as making it louder :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    This is a great question - as I was once told by someone that sticking a booster in the loop can damage the amp. I've since been told this is BS. However, I've always been nervous of doing so...

What is the definitive on sticking a clean boost in the effects loop - can it harm anything?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• I'm selling an EHX Signal Pad if anyone's interested, just £20 delivered. Does the "volume cut in an FX Loop" thing perfectly.

• impmann said:
    This is a great question - as I was once told by someone that sticking a booster in the loop can damage the amp. I've since been told this is BS. However, I've always been nervous of doing so...

What is the definitive on sticking a clean boost in the effects loop - can it harm anything?
    I have heard this, but do suspect it is BS, but id like to know!

For my purpose im not looking for any colouration of anything - I run the amp dirty and just want that dirty tone louder. I suppose a benefit of a cut would be that your master would be higher than normal, therefore more of a cranked tone?

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10469

Cheaper to put a cut in the loop and safer. Your boost is achieved with the cut out. A 10K  pot wired in a box with an in \ out do fine and very cheap to make

I use a guy on the desk for my boost, that's best option of all if you have a soundman
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • photek said:
    Not sure if these are ok in a loop but worked great infront of my JCM800 to create a cleanish sounds when engaged then switch off for leads.

That's interesting. I have a JCM 800 too, and have been looking for a solution for solo boosts. I use a dirty sound and want it a bit cleaner (but not clean) and a tad quieter for rhythm. Would the Detox do this? I've tried the Vein Tap but it muddies the sound when activated.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2937
    JayGee said:
    EHX LPB in the effects loop here, set to Boost.

Passive cut works fine as well though (I seem to recall Award/Session used to market a box intended for just this purpose) but I kind of like what the LPB does to the sound when it's cranked up - I think with the volumes set high and a fair amount of boost something in the FX return or downstream in the power amp actually gets overdriven just a little bit and it does wonderful things to my (nominally clean) tone as well as making it louder :-)
    All this for me too. I've not had any problems and I've use a Boss GE7, SHO clone and now an LPB-1 in the loop.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1469
    photek said:

That's interesting. I have a JCM 800 too, and have been looking for a solution for solo boosts. I use a dirty sound and want it a bit cleaner (but not clean) and a tad quieter for rhythm. Would the Detox do this? I've tried the Vein Tap but it muddies the sound when activated.

Absolutely. Have a look at the youtube demos. I had the same problem with the sound getting muddy and this cleans up the sound plus gives control over the EQ.
  • I used the volume box/ passive attenuator as a cut last night at practice and took the boost out and it worked great - I actually preferred it to using a boost, it seemed less 'boomy' having the amp naturally at that level - its probably just 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other, but it worked great. and the signal pad attenuator type jobby takes up less space. Although it is the same size and colour as my channel switcher so I can forsee me pressing the wrong damn one! I did ask for it in white instead when i ordered it, but i got a red one and i cant be arsed to say anything :(

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72678
    A really extreme boost in the loop *could* potentially damage the amp, but it would have to be really extreme, and probably the amp fairly poorly made and unable to withstand producing full power anyway. Essentially if you're just using the boost to raise the volume level, there's no risk - it would only be likely to cause any if you were using it to slam the power stage into heavy distortion at a level above what the preamp is normally capable of doing.

The real danger is from using distortion units in the loop - all including overdrives, fuzzes and 'amp preamp' type ones - because they usually have so much gain that they can make the amp become unstable, by causing feedback from the power stage to the preamp via the power supply or close-coupling of circuitry, when the extra gain from the unit in the loop is enough to take it above unity. Then the amp can self-oscillate, usually outside the audio range, which can generate too much power in parts that would not normally need to be rated to handle it.

Any boost that's just being used for a solo volume boost isn't likely to add enough gain to do that - but if you do hear squealing noises or the amp starts to sound oddly mushy or just 'wrong' with the boost on, it's likely that it is oscillating or at least on the verge of it, so be careful.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24665
    photek said:

I've used mine in the loop for cutting. Works fine.

It's a very useful pedal in general, can be a great problem solver
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    /\ Thanks for that explanation, mate. That makes complete sense. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Rhythm cut for me, but a footswitchable master volume is my favourite feature.