Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

best ever live album?

What's Hot

Comments

• +1 for The Killers at the Albert Hall.

My personal favourite is U2 at Slane Castle.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    Ooh, forgot Dr Feelgood's Stupidity album. Recorded live, warts and all, with (apparently) no subsequent overdubs or editing.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    edited September 2013
    Status Quo Live, don't be fooled by the modern day Quo that appears on every other TV programme playing the same old songs. This double LP shows why they were regarded as a great rock band back in the day
    They played almost the exact same set on the reunion tour with Lancaster and Coghlan earlier this year - fantastic! Actually better in person than on the album, I think.

I was also tempted to mention Eagles Live - which I listened to a lot as a teenager - but there's some debate as to how much of it is actually live, or was done in the studio afterwards.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Although not a fan, and not familiar at all with the album, "Kiss Alive" is always mentioned by musicians in interviews. As it's not been mentioned here, is it any good?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    HAL9000 said:
    Ooh, forgot Dr Feelgood's Stupidity album. Recorded live, warts and all, with (apparently) no subsequent overdubs or editing.
    Got that on my iPod ... great album.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    What a great thread this has turned out to be! As a big fan of live music, this has given me so many interesting albums to look up! Can't wait to get started!
  • Another one from me: Ani Difranco - Living in Clip

Not a full set recording, rather a collection of live tracks, but so much energy in her performances.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355

For me it's a toss up between:-

• UFO - Strangers In The Night
    • Status Quo - Live
    • Whitesnake - Live In The Heart Of The City (the original 1978/80 recordings with Moody & Marsden, rather than the recent one referred to above)

UFO just wins it for me though, and I'd struggle to make a call between the other two, but probably Quo.  Just.

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    edited September 2013
    No doubt, Queen - Live Killers was the album of my teens, just listen to how much energy these guys had with this rocked up version of We Will Rock You:

• BB King - Live At The Regal is pretty great.

Grateful Dead - Live Dead (may be more of an aquired taste)

• Just remembered Jeff Buckley Live at Sin-e. The best thing he ever did imo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    edited September 2013

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6136
    edited September 2013
    Another + 1 for Focus at the Rainbow.. great album..which I eventually wore out.

For me though it will always be Performance: Rockin' The Fillmore by Humble Pie ..just epic

But Uriah Heap Live (1973) and Lindisfarne Live at the Newcastle City Hall (1972.. i think) are also favourites.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    equalsql said:
    For me thought it will always be Performance: Rockin' The Fillmore by Humble Pie ..just epic
    Oh Hell yes ! How could I have forgotten that ? Have a Wisdom

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    +1 for The Killers at the Albert Hall.

That's great too - far better than Rattle & Hum.

Do you have the DVD version of The Killers? (Is there a non-DVD one?) If so the thing that I really noticed is that whenever Dave Keuning has a more than usually stunning guitar tone, it's always the Ibanez Destroyer. That guitar just sounds amazing, like Edge's Explorer does as well. There's something in that funny body shape and goofy headstock I think... it's a shame I'm slightly too short to comfortably play one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Fretwired said:

For classic British rock Whitesnake Live in the still of the night takes some beating ... t
    not difficult really,  Live in the heart of the city.

;)

QED

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    For me, it has to be "Seconds Out".
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27091
    edited September 2013
    ICBM said:
    +1 for The Killers at the Albert Hall.

That's great too - far better than Rattle & Hum.

Do you have the DVD version of The Killers? (Is there a non-DVD one?) If so the thing that I really noticed is that whenever Dave Keuning has a more than usually stunning guitar tone, it's always the Ibanez Destroyer. That guitar just sounds amazing, like Edge's Explorer does as well. There's something in that funny body shape and goofy headstock I think... it's a shame I'm slightly too short to comfortably play one.
    Yeah, they were on fire that night. I very nearly went, but had just seen them in Hyde Park a couple of weeks before so decided not to :( 

Explorers are always great when played "clean/crunchy" rather than "metal chugging/wailing". I also love his Starcaster tone- definitely the reason I'm interested in these new ones (pickup rewind permitting)

Going to see them on the beach in Dubai in a couple of weeks. Can't wait- it'll be my 6th Killers gig I think, and should be a bit more "Greatest Hits" than last year at the O2 (no bad thing imo- Battle Born isn't quite as good as the other 3) :D
  • 10000 Maniacs Unplugged is just awesome
    Simple Minds Live in the City of Lights
    INXS Live Baby Live, a mish mash of live performances yes, but still superb
    Counting Crows Across a Wire

I prefer Delicate Sound of Thunder to Pulse, The Wall Live in Berlin has its moments, Sinead O'Conner 'Mother' being one
  • stickyfiddle;40679" said:

That wasn't bad at all but for me Under a Blood Red Sky was U2 at their most potent. probably due to me being and older bugger.