Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

best ever live album?

What's Hot

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited October 2013

A new suggestion from me:

The Levellers at Glastonbury 1992.

Bootlegged for years of course then finally got an official release as a second disc on their album re-releases a few years ago (although 15 years is missing from that version).

From a slightly nervious start (the band in awe at the size of the crowd) it turns into the perfect union of band/audience/occasion.

Highlights for me are:

The roar from the crowd when Simon adds 'The Spaceman' verse to 'The Boatman"

The incendiary version of 'Battle of the Beanfield' (this was the year the travellers field was closed)

The raucous encore of "The Devil went Down to Georgia"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297

A new suggestion from me:

The Levellers at Glastonbury 1992.

Bootlegged for years of course then finally got an official release as a second disc on their album re-releases a few years ago (although 15 years is missing from that version).

From a slightly nervious start (the band in awe at the size of the crowd) it turns into the perfect union of band/audience/occasion.

Highlights for me are:

The roar from the crowd when Simon adds 'The Spaceman' verse to 'The Boatman"

The incendiary version of 'Battle of the Beanfield' (this was the year the travellers field was closed)

The raucous encore of "The Devil went Down to Georgia"

I had no idea that existed. I was in that crowd. :(|)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788
    edited October 2013
    too much wine to read the whole thread . . .

Juliet Turner - Live at the Spirit Store

Zappa - Tinseltown Rebellion

Graham Parker and the Rumour - The Parkerilla
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - Live at the el Mocambo.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Mick Hanly "Live at the Meeting Place" is about as live and real as any live album I have heard
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    viz said:
    Wow what a list. I have never given so many wisdoms in such a small thread. I would add Iron Maiden's Live After Death "Scream for me Hammersmith!!"

Agreed on L..A.D.

Also, Maiden's Death on the Road.

Floyd's Delicate sound of Thunder and Pulse

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    Ramones - It's Alive.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mart said:
    For me, it has to be "Seconds Out".
    Me too, while I loved Genesis more before Peter Gabriel left, this is one great live album.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Muddy Waters - Live at Newport, and Live at Mr Kellys
    U2 - Under a Blood Red Sky(already mentioned but hey...)
    Kansas - Two For the Show, they still had all the original members and they pulled out all their best songs and played them even better(mostly).
    Big Brother and the Holding Company(Janis Joplin) Cheap Thrills, while not all the tracks are live here the ones that are rock.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• NickMNickM Frets: 1

Pat Travers Band - Live Go For What You Know (Travers and Thrall on fire!)

Gentle Giant - Playing The Fool (Obviously)

Todd Rundgren - Back To The Bars (The songs man, the songs)

Saga - In Transit (Seriously underrated Canucks)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm afraid it's a Family Fortunes style Uh-UUUUUUUURRRR from me for the Live After Death votes - to paraphrase Lennon, it's not even the best Iron Maiden live album.

Flight 666...NOW you're talking.  Or Death On The Road. Or Rock In Rio.

Rant over :D (Sorry!)

On a totally different tack, I really like Morrissey's live album Beethoven Was Deaf (significantly more than the reviewer whose only comments were "Beethoven was lucky" :) )

• Another vote here for Live & Dangerous also Iron Maiden's Live After Death as it was the first live album I ever bought (on cassette).

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    One of my favourites is How The West Was Won - Led Zeppelin - they are really good form on this. 3 discs of it, from acoustic stuff to 25 minute versions of Dazed and Confused to Whole Lotta Love.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    ^^ You need some boots man. There are some better shows than those believe it or not.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918

What a great thread!

Rather than add about 50 +1's (which would be very easy), I'll just put in a couple that haven't been mentioned:

MSG - One Night At Budokan

Threshold - Critical Energy

Pagan's Mind - Live Equation

Wishbone Ash - 30th anniversary concert

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    drwiddly said:
    MSG - One Night At Budokan
    Brilliant playing on that album.  There's a great lick at the end of that version of "Attack of the Mad Axeman" which I reckon finds its way into nearly every gig I've ever played! :)
  • 1. Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians - Gotta Let this Hen Out
    2. The Ramones - It's Alive
    3. Rain Parade - Beyond the Sunset
    Link to my trading feedback
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited November 2013
    Another vote for Lindisfarne Live at Newcastle. Can't listen to it without wishing I'd been there

Here's another acoustic album: Gasworks. They did a live show at the Marquee which was recorded, someone else overdubbed electric bass on it, and that was it. I actually saw them live in 1974 supporting Jonathan Kelly and I'd have been happy to hear the EllPee without the bass, but I can see that it would have added interest, for them that never saw Gasworks Live. http://gasworks.webs.com/

I did have a cassette recording of a show they did at the BBC (I think) but I doubt it would be playable now, even if I could find it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Framton comes live (Peter Frampton)
    Before the Flood. (Dylan and the Band)
    Slade Alive (Slade)
    Beatles live at the Holywood Bowl).
    Alchemy( Dire Straits)

• Blues Band Official Bootleg Album.

I don't actually own a copy of this but in the days I did voluntary work for my holidays one of the leaders had this on cassette and I thought it was rather excellent and it was our soundtrack for a week. Pretty much a blueprint for putting together a good pub blues band. In the current band I am trying to get off the ground we are doing one song off it and it still sounds good.

On one of the other voluntary work holidays there was an old record player and one LP. This was David Essex live, although the exact album title escapes me. So, hold me close, don't let me go, oh no...

:ar!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.