Old Japanese guitars appreciation thread

What's Hot

Comments

• NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 775
    GuyR said:
    My 84 jv Squier Strat, owned about 30 years. Super light. Perfect neck shape. Just lovely.
    https://i.imgur.com/ZVOMBg3.jpg

82 first series jv Jazz bass, owned since 83.
    https://i.imgur.com/2JIG3f1.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/0McM77E.jpg

84 jv Jazz, owned from new, but now passed on to my son. I tried every jv Jazz on Denmark St. This was easily the best. Next to the bass it is a copy of.
    https://i.imgur.com/dTMArCt.jpg

Mid 80s Tokai Jazz Sound. Bought around 2000. Sounds immense. Cost slightly more than nothing.
    https://i.imgur.com/fRUwwH2.jpg

Sounds like an amazing lineup though I can't get your links to work. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1348
    Should be working now.

GuyR said:
    Should be working now.

No, still not working for me
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    I have MIJ Squire Bullet from 83. It’s a lovely wee guitar. 
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    My first guitar was a westone. Spectrum, I think. Strat type thing in dark blue. 
    Pretty sure it was Japanese. 
    Me too: Spectrum MX, blue all over - even the fretboard. Definitely Japanese, made by Matsumoku
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1348
    Neilybob said:
    GuyR said:
    Should be working now.

No, still not working for me
    Seems not to work on the mobile version of TFB. Scroll to the bottom and click on go to full site and they are visible 
    edited January 2021
    Here is my next vintage MIJ guitar. It's a 90's Burny RLC70 LP Custom with VH1 pickup which really have that vintage PAF sound. I adore this finish and look of the guitar. You can see it's been done to a high standard and plays just as good as it looks. The doesn't show the mother of pearl very well on the diamond but it is lovely.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    This is the last of my Burny guitars. This is a late 80's RSG-55 SG Junior Rock n Roll machine! Simple but sounds lovely pluggin or unplugged. Got this one a couple of years ago direct from Japan and it's got a few knocks here and there but it's simple and solid. Pairs really well with my Evil Robot C30 amp for pure filth.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Neilybob said:
    This is the last of my Burny guitars. This is a late 80's RSG-55 SG Junior Rock n Roll machine! Simple but sounds lovely pluggin or unplugged. Got this one a couple of years ago direct from Japan and it's got a few knocks here and there but it's simple and solid. Pairs really well with my Evil Robot C30 amp for pure filth.

STONE COLD STUNNER
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    edited January 2021
    My first guitar was a Columbus SG copy. My first new guitar was a 1979/80 Washburn Raven bought for £130 swiftly followed by a brand new 1980 Ibanez Artist AR100 for £225. Great guitars at the time and about 10 years ago I had a fit of nostalgia and bought a used Raven and AR100 from the same periods and I was still pretty impressed. The Raven was the no frills, bottom rung of the Wing series but played and sounded  much better than the price would suggest. The Artist has always been one of my favourite designs but I do think there's a bit of mystique around them concerning their reputation as being Gibson beaters. I don't remember much about my first one other than I was proud as punch to own it but the used one I bought 30 or so years later was a good 10lb + and had a 5 piece back. Played great, still looked the biz but for me they were built to a price to give the Gibson experience for a lot less wonga and that's not a criticism.
    As it's tele Tuesday I'd thought I share this with you. This is a Crafted in Japan late 2000's (getting on for 20 years old so stil vintageish?!) Fender Aerodyne Telecaster with a P90 in the neck position for a really fat sound. With the fat sounding P90 and tele single coil in the bridge the inbetween sound is really unique but I like it. Also ain't the way the binding has aged with the black make it look awesome! 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Carrying on with Tele Tuesday is my Fernandes 80's "The Revival" '59 tele in white. It has a real Jimmy Page tele look to it (think the mirrored tele without the mirrors). I'm currently considering the tele 4 way switch mod for series and parallel.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160

jeztone2 said:

SG1000? Beautiful! 
    Tokai SD45 Super Edition Strat from 1984 is a hair metal machine! The HSS Red devil is a chugger. You get a volume boast when going from the 2 single coil pickups to the humbucker. Grabbed this bargain from Gumtree a long time ago. This guitar has seen some action over the years, which shows with chips on the body and the black has started to wear off of the bridge but this is all good as it's adds Mojo.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fernandes RST-50 with rosewood board strat from 1983. Pictured in the catalogue with Daryl Hall of Hall and Oates fame. Has a real straty twang to it which is great and plays well as a it has a matt finish on the back of the neck. Have found that people are on the fence about the coloured headstock though, I quite like it.

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    @Neilybob some lovely guitars there! Love that Aerodyne Telecaster (although at 20 years old it's a mere whippersnapper ) and I would have killed (or at least lightly maimed) for that Tokai when I started playing.

My SA2200 is too young at 12 years old to be called "old" but it's a beaut.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5509
    My '82 Ibanez Blazer BL350-NT.
    I love this thing! VERY Stratty and the brass bridge makes it a bit special.
    I had to refinish it (it was a badly applied garish blue when I bought it), it was missing the trem arm and it's not the original brass vol/tone knobs but it's still awesome.

https://i.imgur.com/MxO6ef8.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/6HKMwvH.jpg

markv said:
    @Neilybob some lovely guitars there! Love that Aerodyne Telecaster (although at 20 years old it's a mere whippersnapper ) and I would have killed (or at least lightly maimed) for that Tokai when I started playing.

My SA2200 is too young at 12 years old to be called "old" but it's a beaut.
    Thanks Mark. Got a few more to come yet. 

Those Yamaha SG's have an amazing rep for being rock machines. 
    @DiscoStu ;
    That Ibanez is well tasty. So do you think your refin was restoring back to it's original finish or would it have been painted/stained?