Old Japanese guitars appreciation thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Bucket;44001" said:
    My dad recently bought an old Top Twenty, which is (somewhat surprisingly) really good. Nice low action and it plays really easily, it's in good condition, and it sounds cool as well - my fuzz likes it a lot. They have a pretty bad reputation and I thought he was mad for buying it, but I defy you to play this example and not be shocked at how good it is.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af347/ConnorF1995/DSCF09451_zps550ea8bf.jpg
    Oh good god, that is fucking cool. What a find.

I think qc was dodgy in a lot of factories back then, so while some were awful, some were just very, very good. If there were ten people assembling them, and 2 enjoyed it, that means that 1 in 5 is probably pretty good.

Bit like gibson, really. :p
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bucket;44001" said:
    My dad recently bought an old Top Twenty, which is (somewhat surprisingly) really good. Nice low action and it plays really easily, it's in good condition, and it sounds cool as well - my fuzz likes it a lot. They have a pretty bad reputation and I thought he was mad for buying it, but I defy you to play this example and not be shocked at how good it is.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af347/ConnorF1995/DSCF09451_zps550ea8bf.jpg
    Oh good god, that is fucking cool. What a find.

I think qc was dodgy in a lot of factories back then, so while some were awful, some were just very, very good. If there were ten people assembling them, and 2 enjoyed it, that means that 1 in 5 is probably pretty good.

Bit like gibson, really. :p

Sorry but they were awful for their time and worse now. I remember looking at one in Woolies when I was a kid, and my old man saying how bad they were, and they were about £16-17 in those days, probably equivalent to a classic vibe price wise today. But it was not about quality, as they were all fairly consistent, crap but consistently crap. Difference is nowadays our attitudes have changed, in 60's and 70's they were badly designed toy guitars, now in the 21st century they are classic kitsch and great for slide tones ? X_X
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited September 2013
    koneguitarist said: Sorry but they were awful for their time and worse now. I remember looking at one in Woolies when I was a kid, and my old man saying how bad they were, and they were about £16-17 in those days, probably equivalent to a classic vibe price wise today. But it was not about quality, as they were all fairly consistent, crap but consistently crap. Difference is nowadays our attitudes have changed, in 60's and 70's they were badly designed toy guitars, now in the 21st century they are classic kitsch and great for slide tones ? X_X
    Did you read what I wrote? I said that I thought he was mad for spending even as little as he did on it but that I was very pleasantly surprised by it - it plays well. Not just "well, considering it's a cheap, shitty 40-year-old beginner guitar", just "well", full stop.

I'd never claim it's the best guitar I've ever played, far from it, but it's nowhere near as bad as you're making it out to be.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    Some of them are actually OK - but it's not as many as one in 5, I'd say more like one in 25... at least going by the rough guess that I've seen about 25 and only ever one good one! But it really was OK - not Squier quality, no... but about as good as one of the new Danelectro models.

I agree that the basic parts quality is too crap to give them much of a chance, but just occasionally something seems to fall into place and they can be quite playable and sound good. The tremolo *is* shit on all of them though, it simply can't work properly by design. Best to keep the arm somewhere other than on the guitar :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    dogload said:
    Jaded said:

I bought this at some point last year for real cheap. A mid to late 70's Aria 1802t. 

The pickups are pretty twangy and you can get some serious jangle when you use the bass cut switch. Wouldn't mind picking up another at some point!
    That looks quite interesting- half Strat/ half Mustang! What's the neck like? I'd imagine being an Aria it'd be alright, but I can't help remembering my old Satellite plank.
    The neck is pretty nice, it's got that sort of generic asian neck profile to it. Not too thick, not too thin. The radius feels pretty flat, flatter than any Les Paul I've played and if I remember correctly it's a 25" scale (like some old Martin's?). 

But overall it's very playable, aside from some minor fret buzz (it came to me with 9's and I'm using 11's at the moment) which can probably be sorted out with a little tweak to the truss rod. 

The trem system ain't half bad either as it's just a Jazzmaster/Jaguar trem moved closer to the body. So unsurprisingly it stay's in tune perfectly ;)
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    Bucket said:

Heck, even if it was total trash you could stick one of those pickups in the middle position of your Jazzmaster and play some early Cure! Totally worth it.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    ICBM;44346" said:
    Some of them are actually OK - but it's not as many as one in 5, I'd say more like one in 25... at least going by the rough guess that I've seen about 25 and only ever one good one! But it really was OK - not Squier quality, no... but about as good as one of the new Danelectro models.

I agree that the basic parts quality is too crap to give them much of a chance, but just occasionally something seems to fall into place and they can be quite playable and sound good. The tremolo *is* shit on all of them though, it simply can't work properly by design. Best to keep the arm somewhere other than on the guitar :).
    A top 20 was my first electric. I obviously had one of the shit ones. Sharp fret ends, horribly high action, gloppy finish on the back of the neck & weedy pickups. It did look cool though and I loved it at the time. I paid £18 second hand in 1973, which included a massively heavy home made hard case. That was probably a weeks wages at the time. I would post the pic of me playing it live but it'll only upset Bertie

>:D<
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    Some sexy (and not so sexy) guitars in this thread ;)

My Dad has an 84 Tokai Strat (maple FB) and while im not a strat man myself i can see why fender hit them with a lawsuit

Cant throw up any pics of her atm as we've just decided to strip her down and do a body refinish (going for a deep blue gloss)

Before i get hung out to dry for the above comment know that the original (soild black) finish had already been 90% stripped off (all but the edges) and the body badly re-varnished (might be why it only cost £25!) he'es lived with the half asses finish for about 15 years but after seeing the refinish im doing on my RG350 he decided to let me strip & refinish his Tokai

For myself Ive always fancied one of these Riverhead headless guitars or basses but they rarely come up and if they do there either trashed or missing parts.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    edited September 2013
    Gizmo said:
    Some sexy (and not so sexy) guitars in this thread ;)

My Dad has an 84 Tokai Strat (maple FB) and while im not a strat man myself i can see why fender hit them with a lawsuit

Cant throw up any pics of her atm as we've just decided to strip her down and do a body refinish (going for a deep blue gloss)

Before i get hung out to dry for the above comment know that the original (soild black) finish had already been 90% stripped off (all but the edges) and the body badly re-varnished (might be why it only cost £25!) he'es lived with the half asses finish for about 15 years but after seeing the refinish im doing on my RG350 he decided to let me strip & refinish his Tokai

For myself Ive always fancied one of these Riverhead headless guitars or basses but they rarely come up and if they do there either trashed or missing parts.

Wow! It's a headless Burns Flyte...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited September 2013
    JayGee;45848" said:
    Thank you! I knew I'd seen that shape before but could think where!

I once had a tour of the Shergold factory. There were unused Flyte bodies all over the place....
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751

I once had a tour of the Shergold factory. There were unused Flyte bodies all over the place....
    Jesus, I wonder why :D
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Bucket;45879" said:
    Jesus, I wonder why :D
    Yes, not a big seller....
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2401
    A little thread necromancy here
    my '83 Westone thunder 1A pair
    '86 Westone Spectrum ST pair
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27485
    2 nice pairs @sarge
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    '81 Matsumoku Hondo Pro H1010 and H1013 bass, heavy but beastly
    '84 Westone Concords, IIT left and IIIT right, my babies!
    '81 old shape Westone Concord, similar in shape to the Kawai Aquarius range (must get an Aquarius!!)
    'Nother '81 Concord, maple board I sanded,oiled and refretted with jumbo's !
    '85 Westone Dimension IV, pointy shredmiester!