Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Best Concerts You've Been To....

What's Hot

Comments

• camfcamf Frets: 1195
    1 The Clash (Edinburgh 1977)
    2 The Clash (Edinburgh1980)
    3 The Clash (Edinburgh 1979)
    4 Neil Young (Aberdeen 2009)
    5 Neil Young (Glasgow 2013)
    6 Radiohead (Glasgow 2008) 
    7 Mudhoney (Berlin 1988)
    8 Ramones (Edinburgh 1978)
    9 Nirvana (London 1989)
    10 Nirvana (Newcastle 1989)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Standouts for me are probably Morrissey at the Albert Hall in about 2002, when he hadn't got a record deal, hadn't played in a few years and was obviously trying to prove that he was very much alive and kicking.

Pentangle 2010 ish at the RFH, the first of their reunion gigs.

Paolo Conte at the RFH this time last year. Great playing, great tunes and the first gig I took my son to with me.

Pretty interesting taste for a (then) 9 year old.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8836
    Over rather years I've seen too many gigs to remember one as The Best. The ones I've enjoyed most have always been the small club affairs, where the sound comes from the back line, and you can see every finger move. The ones which had the most impact were in my formative years, from about 1969 to 1973 when I was luck enough to see a band almost every week.  Three stand out from that period: Focus, because I'd never seen a guitarist as proficient as Jan Akermann, Barclay James Harvest, in the days when there were no synths and the Mellotron ruled, and Bowie the week before he went to Hammersmith and "broke up the band".
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2029
    Much prefer smaller, indoor gigs to the huge outdoor ones. So...

Divine Comedy,Decemberists, Midlake and Drive-By Truckers - all Belfast and / or Dublin. All sub -1000 venues. All fantastic.

And then Neil Young, David Bowie - both at Slane Castle. To contradict my earlier statement.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    Phil Keaggy at Greenbelt, acoustic in about '91 and electric in about '93. Jaw-dropping mastery which stunned the surprised festival goers, delivered with an easy smile.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    My main gig-going days were the mid '80s to early '90s, so those are the ones I remember, mostly at the Marquee and the Astoria - I've never liked the big venues.

The ones which spring to mind are King's X (many times), Living Colour, Tesla, Warrior Soul, Badlands, Eric Johnson, Galactic Cowboys, Saigon Kick, Love/Hate, Corrosion of Conformity.  I also saw what I think was Roy Buchanan's last ever UK gig at the Dominion Theatre.

A couple of really bad gigs which stick in the memory... Queensryche at the Town and Country (aka The Forum) - the band were probably fine but I was stuck at the back and never saw anything on the stage for even a second.  And Jeff Beck at the Royal Festival Hall - I just got bored with his whammy bar antics after about two tracks.

• I was dragged to Greenbelt once, 1987 I think. I didn't enjoy much of it but the headliner was Philip Bailey who was highly enjoyable, although a bit Goddy for my tastes.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Extreme - Newport 2008. Vocals were spot on and the band were (and still are) tight. Met them afterwards too. What a night.

Mr Big - Bristol Academy 2011 - 2nd time of seeing them and they were better again. Intimate setting and Eric Martin just doesn't age. Pablo and Billy on top form as you'd expect. Met them all later to top it off.

Honourable mentions - U2, Cardiff 2005; Iron Maiden, Cardiff 2003; Velvet Revolver, Cardiff 2005; Paul Rodgers, RAH 2006...
  • Philly_Q;429784" said:
    I also saw what I think was Roy Buchanan's last ever UK gig at the Dominion Theatre.
    Consider me officially jealous - I'd have loved to have seen Roy play live.
    Philly_Q;429784" said:
    I also saw what I think was Roy Buchanan's last ever UK gig at the Dominion Theatre.
    Consider me officially jealous - I'd have loved to have seen Roy play live.
    It was great, the guy was absolutely amazing and the sounds he made with that Tele were so at odds with the way he looked!  

He used the support band, Martin Stephenson and the Daintees (I think!) as his backing band!  Very old school.

• Philly_Q;429865" said:
    It was great, the guy was absolutely amazing and the sounds he made with that Tele were so at odds with the way he looked!  

He used the support band, Martin Stephenson and the Daintees (I think!) as his backing band!  Very old school.
    One of my all-time guitar heroes.

He came from a devoutly Christian family - his father was a preacher IIRC - he looked as though he ought be one.

There was something transcendent about his playing at its best. And died in his forties. I real loss.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    The one that sticks out for me was Girls Against Boys at the Riverside in Newcastle, round about 1995. They had Brainiac supporting them too, great night that was.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• The Smiths Brixton Academy December 1986
    Rain Parade Electric Ballroom 1985
    The Ramones T&C 1989
    The Soft Boys Harlow Square 2001
    ~:>
    Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3074
    I've forgotten most of the gigs I saw in the 80's.....

The ones I remember....(although it doesn't necessarily mean they were good!):

Bunking off school to see Slayer at The Marquee (85?)
    Iron Maiden at Hammersmith on the Somewhere In Time tour.
    Anthrax at Hammersmith Palais
    PiL at Reading Sub 89 in 2012
    The Macc Lads at the 100 Club (89?)

I could go on all night....

One of my all-time guitar heroes.

He came from a devoutly Christian family - his father was a preacher IIRC - he looked as though he ought be one.

There was something transcendent about his playing at its best. And died in his forties. I real loss.
    Now you say that, I've always thought of him as an old geezer but I've just realised I'm older than he was when he died.  A sobering thought.

He was a wonderful player.  I could never approach what he did but the thing that's always stuck with me was the way he could wring so many different sounds out of a guitar without using a load of gadgets and effects.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3074
    I remember really enjoying gigs at The Kilburn National - EMF and The Godfathers were quality - also saw Nirvana there too but they had to cut the set short becasue Dave Grohl put his head through the bass drum and they didn't have a spare skin.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    edited November 2014
    Philly_Q;429930" said:
    the thing that's always stuck with me was the way he could wring so many different sounds out of a guitar without using a load of gadgets and effects.
    His death of course was highly controversial. His wife (Judy - who his favourite Telecaster was named after) tried to finance a case against the Police - I can't remember the exact grounds - but she didn't have enough money IIRC.

Roy's Bluz on 'Livestock' - his live album recorded at New York Town Hall - reveals both the strengths and weaknesses of his talent; dreadful vocals but guitar playing of almost unimaginable expression....

He was to me the undisputed 'Master of the Telecaster' - all the other 'hot' Tele players owe a debt to him.
  • Camel - umpteen gigs
    Wishbone Ash likewise
    James Taylor - quite a few
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2754
    Standout gigs...
    Marillion "garden party" in 86 with Gary Moore and Jethro Tull -  I wasn't old enough and experienced with gigs to really appreciate what a great show that was.
    Camel earlier this year was special - first time I've seen them, I've been a big fan since the mid 80's and Andy Latimer didn't disappoint.
    Pink Floyd at Wembly on the MLOR tour - I went to both nights and loved them.
    Rush - Snakes and arrows tour, I've seen them a few times but managed to get 2nd row tickets for that gig just in front of Alex L.  Great show.

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1849
    edited November 2014
    David Gilmour - Royal Albert Hall 2006 The performance of echoes was one of the highlights of my life so far. Queens of the Stone Age - Southampton Guildall 2003/4 They just realeased Songs off the Deaf and were on fire. Roger Waters - The Walll O2 2010(?) - just effing unreal. Band of Skulls - Exeter Uni 2014 - tiny gig for them but really intimate - just an amazing atmosphere for a brilliant band