Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Best Concerts You've Been To....

What's Hot

Comments

• thisisguitar;433178" said:
    I'm sure you know this already, but he cancelled the previous show due to losing his voice… he was on great form at Brum. I went too, the man is amazing :-)
    I did. I noticed early in the set he sang some things an octave lower - presumably to conserve his voice. I was actually meant to meet him - it was cancelled due to his illness. Bugger....
    I am truly gutted for you :-( Did you pay for the VIP package?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ No. My niece knows his accountant!
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited December 2014
    Stone Roses outdoors in Milan with 3000 people was a bit special in 2012. My brain can't remember so many gigs I am always in some kind of drunken parallel universe. Kasabian @ Brixton last night was a goodun. Probably a few Weller gigs.... Foofighters @ Wembley....
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1766

Thunder - Preston Guild Hall Feb 96(?) - Amazing gig

Bon Jovi Wembley 95 - at the top of their game, and Sambora with those stacks of fender tonemasters just looked insane.

& (bit of a curveball this one)

Marilyn Manson - Birmingham 2001. As a show / theatre / spectacle it was something amazing regardless of wether you like the music or not it was so impressive.

• JayceeJaycee Frets: 328
    Tough one this.......my top three......I think...
    Motorhead   ' 78 Sophia gardens Cardiff...my first ever gig
    Queen Knebworth ' 86
    Pink Floyd Earls Court ' 94

others would be Clapton, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Saxon, Magnum, Tommy Emmanuel .so many

• @Jaycee - Would sell my mum to have seen Floyd at that show!
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Slash + Myles Kennedy @ Wembley 
    Bloody amazing that was :D Slash still has it (despite a noodly pointless solo that went on for far far far longer than it should have. Tuneless widdle for 15 mins? no thanks.) 

Black Veil Brides @ O2 Brixton 
    Whether you buy into their Glam metal looks or not, it was a great night! 

I'm really hoping that Bring Me The Horizon @ Wembley on friday will be the best yet. 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2369
    edited December 2014
    • Marillion in 84 at Hammersmith on R2R tour
    • Bon Jovi at Hammersmith on SWW tour - supported by Queensryche
    • Def Leppard supported by Tesla on Hysteria tour at Hammersmith
    • Satriani on Extremist tour at Hammersmith, supported by Adrian Legg
    • Satriani at Albert Hall as part of a Jazz Festival - obviously played his normal stuff
    • Knopfler at Albert Hall supported by the amazing Ruth Moody
    • Honeymoon Suite in the GLC in Whistler - a fave band from the 80s in a small bar in my fave ski resort. Pretty cool.
    • A-ha at Albert Hall playing the entire 'Hunting High and Low' and 'Scoundrel Days' albums
    • Maiden at Hammersmith on SIT tour - front row tickets baby
    • Van Halen at Sheffield Arena on RHRN tour
    • Vai in New York in 2006 - he played two gigs that day back to back!!
    • Walter Trout at Feltham - can't remember when but it was his Tellin' Stories tour
    • Donnington '88 - Helloween, GnR, Megadeth, Dave Lee Roth, Kiss, Maiden

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

Bolt Thrower Warmaster tour - Sydney (Coogee bay hotel)

Tommy Emmanuel - early 90's - played at my local pub/venue (great northern hotel) he wasnt globally famous back then.

Metallica ...And Justice for All tour - Sydney

Slayer - seasons in the abyss tour - Sydney

Fear Factory - Obsolete tour

Iron Maiden 2009 tour...they played Live After Death - Sydney

Opeth - Watershed Tour - London Brixton Academy

Opeth - 20yr celebration tour - London Royal Albert Hall

Mastadon - Crack The Skye tour - London

Bloodstock - the year Opeth headlined, also Obituary played as did Fear Factory

Sonishere UK - Big 4 tour

YOB - Clearing the Path to Ascend tour - London

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533

Honeymoon Suite in the GLC in Whistler - a fave band from the 80s in a small bar in my fave ski resort. Pretty cool.

I never expected to see Honeymoon Suite mentioned in this thread!
    >:D<
  • Best gig by a country mile for me was Chris Cornell acoustic at Newcastle City Hall. He's my favourite vocalist and amazing live. Some dude heckled him for a jam so he called his bluff, got him on stage and the heckler played Outshined on guitar while Cornell sang. And it was flawless!

Notable mentions have to be:

Slash @ First Direct Arena, the other day. Awesome gig, got treated to half of Appetite
    Pearl Jam @ Leeds Festival 2006
    Alice Cooper @ Metro Radio Arena 2005
    Every Oli Brown gig ever

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 328
    @thisisguitar they were amazing, there was stuff happening all over the place.
  • @Jaycee - I wish I had been wise enough at that age to go along… you always think there'll be another chance :-(
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 452
    I'm usually a lurker on here but what the hell. I haven't been to anywhere near as many gigs as I'd have liked and have missed so many of the greats. Of the ones I have been to the stand outs were:

Jeff Beck at the Royal Albert Hall on the Emotion & Commotion tour - I saw him a week after seeing Satriani for the 2nd time at Hammersmith and even being the huge Satch fanboy I am, what Beck can do with a guitar is on another level.

Mark Knopfler again at the RAH - bit of a miserable sod, but his playing was flawless

Alice In Chains on the Dirt tour in 1992 or 3 just after they'd supported Van Halen as Jerry Cantrell was using the blue Musicman EVH Eddie has given to him

Paul Gilbert at the Indigo O2 in Islington - jaw dropping technique and made it look like he was noodling while watching tv. Most importantly you could see how much he was loving it. 

Metallica at Wembley Arena 1992 - my first ever concert and utterly insane.

Metallica Death Magnetic Launch Party at the O2 in 2008 - a completely different experience, obviously I was 16 years older but more significantly Hetfield and the band were sober. They were brilliant. 

John Mayer at Wembley Arena on the Battlestudies tour. I was offered a ticket for free by a work colleague and went having never heard one of his songs before - I had no idea he was such a huge SRV and Hendrix fan - or that he could play like that. Saw him again a couple of years later and was really disappointing

Most disappointing was Eric Johnson last year. Sure he can play but he has no personality and after a while it was just boring.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    David Gilmour - Royal Albert Hall 2006 The performance of echoes was one of the highlights of my life so far.
    Saw the Glasgow leg where Rick Wright, Dick Parry and David Crosby on backing Vox. It was the night after they were all on Jools show and tagged along.

Echoes was indeed brilliant, as was the whole gig really.

The Stranglers in Edinburgh on the Meninblack Tour (plus many other of their gigs over the years).

The Clash at our local Ice Rink in 82 IIRC. also Thin Lizzy, Marillion, The Pretenders and Siouxsie and the Banshees same venue about the same time.

SLF at many gigs but the Aberdeen Capitol where and when they recorded the White Xmas and running bear encores for an EP. Somehwere in there I ma shouting like fuck.

Donington 1981 AC/DC, Whitsnake, Blue Oyster Cult, Slade and others.

The 2nd 2 day Loch Lomond festival with the Jam, The Tourists, Wild Horses, The Chords, Bad Manners and many more. Punk/New Wave/Mod day one and rock and roll/classic rock bands.

Fish also at Aviemore as has been said by @mart in Aviemore great intimate gig and they blew up the borrowed PA from the band in the Hotel bar.

Also Fish just after leaving Marillion playing a gig to about 40 of us at a local legendary music and bands bar. He even served pints during the gig for the craic.

Tom Robinson Band 81 or 82 at the Keppoch Inn, Bad Manners too the very next week. How is that for juxtaposition?

Many many more especially in the late 70's and early 80's.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited December 2014
    Sepultura, Nottingham 1991
    Jesus Lizard - Leicester 1992
    Beastie Boys/Rollins Band - Birmingham 1992
    Tool - Nottingham 1993
    Iron Maiden - Leicester 1990

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited December 2014
    Hertz32;434596" said:
    Slash + Myles Kennedy @ Wembley 

Bloody amazing that was :D Slash still has it (despite a noodly pointless solo that went on for far far far longer than it should have. Tuneless widdle for 15 mins? no thanks.) 
    Seen him/them at Birmingham earlier in the week, great show, slash seems fairly shy but really has some stage presence, spent way more time watching him than Myles. Great band, tight as hell, and Todd does a good job of vocals too, what songs did he front at Wembley?

Again agree the solo during rocket queen was way too long and tuneless, really didn't fit at all. It's a shame as previously his extended solo spot was based around the godfather theme so at least had a recognisable melody. Maybe basing in on one of the instrumental tracks off his albums would have made more sense.

I used the solo to hide in the crowd and have a smoke.

Unlike most there, I'd have sacrificed the GnR songs (apart from night train as that was epic) for more solo stuff, but was really happy with the solo songs they decided to play. I just think 25 years on the guy shouldn't feel the need to play Sweet child to please people.
  • The Wall - Roger Waters - O2 arena - the night Gilmour played. 

Doobie Brothers Colston Hall - 2009?

Supertramp Crisis? What Crisis? tour 1975 - Paignton Festival Theatre

Joe Walsh - a demo gig in a Bristol pub - 2004 - tickets 5 quid!

More locally: Becca Langsford and Vince Lee - South Devon Arts Centre - go and see them if you're in Devon/Cornwall
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    bigjon said:
    Phil Keaggy at Greenbelt, acoustic in about '91 and electric in about '93. Jaw-dropping mastery which stunned the surprised festival goers, delivered with an easy smile.
    Just came across this on Youtube, from about 2 weeks before the '91 gig I saw. Totally sums up his casual virtuosity and seat-of-the-pants invention. I remember I'd seen one tapped harmonic before I saw him rip chiming counter-melodies like at 2:30. Then there's the incredible rhythm riff at 4:20 which he just chucks in off-the-cuff - if I could play that I'd do a whole song around it!

• Aphex Twin at the Clink Prison (it's a museum now!). Played Come To Daddy long before it was released and did the entire set from one of the cells.

Aphex Twin at the Junction, Cambridge. Despite it being the loudest thing I've ever heard, my ears didn't ring in the slightest. The first piece sounded like how I would have imagined the Soviet assault on Berlin would. People were leaving in tears by the end of that! The rest of it was quite beautiful though. At no point was he on stage, though one of the Donkey Rhubarb bears came on and danced during the track of the same name.

Meat Beat Manifesto at the Junction, Cambridge. Woefully under-attended, but fuck, they were good! Sadly, I saw them a couple of years later and they were really boring.

The Chameleons at the Barfly, Camden. A secret gig before the tour (2001 IIRC). Absolutely rammed. The audience was so lively, the floor was bouncing to the point that I expected it give way any time.

Big Star/Teenage Fanclub/Mogwai at the Connect Festival 2007. One of my friends was playing and managed to get me and the Mrs some artist passes. We watched these bands from the side of the stage. I have no words for how amazing this was.

Iain Archer at Esquires, Bedford. We'd never heard of him before but went on the off-chance, having nothing else to do. I've never been so blown away by an unknown act before. He was utterly captivating, despite the other 30-odd people in the room talking really loudly all the way through and generally being obnoxious (welcome to Bedford). His Telecaster through an AC30 was the most gorgeous clean sound I've ever heard.

Any Posies gig.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....