Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amplifier Mistake (Blackstar)

What's Hot

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited December 2014
    Comparing 2-3 guitars with a 53lb amp is a nonsensical comparison. Aside from 53 lbs being way more than 2-3 guitars:

1. Guitars can be carried individually or one in each hand by your side to distribute weight. An amp is in one solid mass.
    2. If you lift an amp with a single central handle, you have a heavy mass on one side of your body that creates significan stress about on skeletol and muscular structure.
    3. If your amp is twin handled how you lift it has to be totally different and again you are putting your back under duress.
    4. Lifting a single guitar to put in or out of your car boot or carrying up and downstairs is one thing. Doing the same with an amp in one solid mass is entirely different.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11916
    The important thing here is that look after your health first, if you can't lift it, you can't lift it. If you do have a problem with you back lifting then even if you do get better, you want to avoid lifting heavy objects to avoid aggravate it again. For me, get something manageable. 

You can replace amps, but you can't replace your spine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    ^    absolutely.

In my previous post I was trying to express concern and how awful it must be to be in that position.  I was rehearsing with an amp of similar weight to the ones being discussed and it would be quite distressing to find I struggled to carry it.  

I have lower back problems, (probably at least partly caused by lugging 4x12 around and post gig adreniline doesn't help with lifting posture),  but I can move my fender twin or a 4x12 ok - this thread is a reminder that I'm lucky I still can and should be careful so I can continue to do so.
  • That's exactly why I got my earplugs, to protect my "health" as such. Surely it's the same regarding lifting heavy objects. Fact is, I'm a slim chap and I just can't lug around heavy things like that and don't want to do permanent damage :)
    I'll take it to the gig on Saturday but will be looking out for potential replacements (head/cab or ID60 or one of the other recommendations here).
    Depressing thread, reminding me of how old and decripit I'm getting. :-<
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I went the head/cab route - even then the cab is only a 1 x 12! As most of the gigs and rehearsal studios that I've played round here provide cabs, I've only had to use the cab twice, I think. I even keep the head in the boot of the car to avoid me having to carry it up the stairs to my flat. I keep the cab in a studio where I sometimes record - due to the flat bit I can't really use an amp at home anyway, I use moddelers for practice at home.
  • I think I might go down the Fender route... I saw some great looking Fender amps in reddogmusic today... single channel, YAY! Nothing complicated... treble/mid/bass controls, volume, reverb and fat switch. Perfect!! One was a Champ and the other a Blues Junior III (that looked good but didn't have time to play any). I wonder if they do head/cab version. The Blues Junior was 15W valve (would it sound guff at home levels??)  and was liftable... true test would be to see how the distorted sounds are through my pedals. 

If I went down the single channel amp route I'd need to get a backup distortion pedal in case the Riot ever blew out.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    edited December 2014
    Blues junior is great, atypical Fender sound, though does what it says on the can, limited cleans - and that's all, and there's just the one model.

From all your comments - small head +cab(s) is right for you.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72615
    thomasross20 said:

The Blues Junior was 15W valve (would it sound guff at home levels??)
    Yes.

The Blues Junior sounds guff at *any* volume level.

;)

If you want to go down the lightweight, giggable Fender amp that sounds great at home volume and takes pedals well route, get a '68 Deluxe.

Far better sounding than the Blues Junior and better built.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I think I've decided I definitely just want the ONE channel and to be able to control my entire sound with my pedal-board. 
    Without a doubt, that is the aim... 
    Conflicting views on the Blues Junior there!
    Is there perhaps a single channel (Fender?) head I might consider?

No I basically agree with ICBM.  It's OK-ish for blues workhorse, but needs a new speaker for half decent sound,

Feedback
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31659

They do divide opinion, it's true. I can only conclude that some people LIKE the sound of their guitar being played through a severed pig's nose inside a shoe box.

Do as @ICBM says and get a '68 Custom Deluxe if you want to go Fender, it's in a different league.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not (even remotely!) cheap but basically ticks all your boxes (assuming you like the basic tone). Designed as a pedal platform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGs7BeRtqO0
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    laney cub head and cab maybe?

Hayden MoFo 30 head plus a Zilla 2x10

Better still if money no object a Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier (& 2 x 10)

Feedback
    ICBM;448951" said:
    [quote=thomasross20]
    The Blues Junior was 15W valve (would it sound guff at home levels??)
    Yes.

The Blues Junior sounds guff at *any* volume level.

;)

If you want to go down the lightweight, giggable Fender amp that sounds great at home volume and takes pedals well route, get a '68 Deluxe.

Far better sounding than the Blues Junior and better built.[/quote]

Definitely agree. I've never understood the popularity of the Blues Junior as its a distinctly lack lustre amp that IMHO does nothing well. The cleans are 'ok' but lack sparkle. The distortions are 'meh' - muddy and lifeless. The 1x12 68 Deluxe is a world of difference with great Fender warm sparkly cleans with way more headroom and volume and a nice warm distortion with just that nice bit of Fender 'bite' that just sings. Play both amps side by side and I guarantee you won't touch the Blues Junior.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10455
    I never understand the HRD's being so popular, drive channel sounds like arse and clean channel is a bit meh but some people love em
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7491
    edited December 2014
    So, a small amp that's light and takes pedals well?

Well, I think blackface fenders with a great clean tone sound a bit nasty when a distortion pedal goes in...

But have you seen this? It's more based on a British circuit, and is positively cute. I'm sure mjw will tell you how it deals with pedals, too.

http://www.martamp.com/amps.html

Look at the "bantam". Handwired, great sounding circuit for general blues rock, probably cleans up nicely, and this sort of circuit tends to be pretty good with pedals.

There are other models with more headroom too which are relatively small :)
    The problem with a single channel amp is lack of clean headroom as you raise the gain. For home use, rehearsals and small club gigs its fine, and bigger gigs are OK if you mike up. But if you need to go backline at volume you need two channels.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72615
    I think I've decided I definitely just want the ONE channel and to be able to control my entire sound with my pedal-board. 
    Without a doubt, that is the aim... 
    Is there perhaps a single channel (Fender?) head I might consider?
    Yes, the '65 Deluxe Reverb is available as a head. It's the same price as the '68 Custom Deluxe combo though, so poor value for money really. It's also marginally less suited to taking pedals than the '68, according to most people who have played both.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom