Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Any Cornell Plexi users?

What's Hot
I'm just wondering if any of you guys own or have owned the 18/20 or 45/50 and what you think of it?

Basically I have a Marshall Custom Offset 1w and want to get a similar tone from a louder amp.

Thoughts and advice appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1627
    I have an 18/20 head and am in love. The Plexi tone I always wanted. Though I have to say that without using the JTM pedal I have in front of it, it wouldn't be a home amp at all - you could never crank it. But the JTM and the 18/20 are Marshall heaven at low volume. 

I did crank this exact combination (pedal and amp) at Vintage and Modern Guitars with a Tele and it was the best rock sound I have ever heard. Better even than my nostalgic memory of the old JMP50 combo I had long ago.

I know @miserneil is a big fan of the 18/20 too

• GassageGassage Frets: 31081
    Lynden

Yes, I have. Honestly, the best best amp of that ilk I have ever heard. My favourite rig moment was one of those and a Tender 57Tweed Twin in stereo. Ograsmic.

I also can get you a massive discount off a new one if you pay cash

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 147
    I'm just wondering if any of you guys own or have owned the 18/20 or 45/50 and what you think of it?

Basically I have a Marshall Custom Offset 1w and want to get a similar tone from a louder amp.

@thisisguitar I've only just left your gaff with talk about this and how you need to control your gas. Youre ridiculous but I love you man  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 634
    What's the Plexi Seven like?
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    I have the plexi seven, it's a one trick pony but WOW what a trick!!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31081
    it's everything you'd ever imagined a proper early Marshall to sound like but better

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Thanks @JohnPerry and @Gassage ;

I had a feeling I was on the right track :-) I need to try one out!

@Gjonesy - I thought we agreed, one in one out right? lol
  • @JohnPerry - gjonesy and I were playing my Tele through the Marshall earlier.. it's that single coil loveliness into a Plexi that I really like.
  • @Pete24v was selling a 45/50. I would give my left nut for that. But I've no gas tokens at the moment.
  • I did spot that, thanks @benvall. I'm thinking of possibly running a two amp setup, so the larger head may be a bit much. Figured I can crank the 18/20 for rhythm/lead.

• Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    The 45 50 is awesome, stunning beautiful clean and dirty tones.

I may not need to sell mine now, which is quite a relief. I only gig that amp a few times a year, but holy shit it sounds great!
    Don't discount the bigger amp, I really only use the 15w low power setting, it sounds great. I picked up an attenuator which I've only ever use at home to get the early EVH type sounds.
  • Hey @Pete24v - What is the clean headroom like on it live? 

Pretty much everything I'm seeing on these amps is coming back very positive
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    edited December 2014
    I have a Plexi Seven that Denis built for me and also an 18/20 cab. Superb circuit and a nice thick tone. Old school Marshall style, not the modern Marshall fizzy sound. I believe the 18/20 is based on the PA20. 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1627
    The 18/20 on low power is only 5w (20 on high) so a versatile beast too. Still too loud to crank at home though

• JohnPerry;451383" said:
    The 18/20 on low power is only 5w (20 on high) so a versatile beast too. Still too loud to crank at home though
    That's low enough to use an l-pad attenuator with, though, so that's a cheap way of being able to crank it up a bit at home :)
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    edited December 2014
    @JohnPerry - My 1w is about 40% too loud to crank at home for long periods! I'm lucky though, I have no neighbours to annoy in the evenings and on weekends :-)

I have a Fulldrive 2 I could use with it, sounds great with the 1w. Or just use my main board and have another 4 options!

Thanks @Babones
  • I had a Plexi 7 a few years back and it was awesome.   It was too loud for me to crank all the time but it sounded incredible.  It gave me very, very nice early Schenker sound.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1641

Sorry to hijack the thread a little but how do you find the offset? I was playing one today and thought it was brilliant, I'm just trying to justify nearly £600 on an amp that can't be used for anything other than home use.
    thisisguitar;451353" said:
    Hey @Pete24v - What is the clean headroom like on it live? 

Pretty much everything I'm seeing on these amps is coming back very positive
    Plenty of clean headroom in the 50 mode, till about 3 on the dial, from then on its doesn't get much louder, but the gain and compression starts kicking in.

If your anywhere near Leicester, feel free to nip in and have a go on mine