Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

MESA CAB CLONE video redone. AWKWARD IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT,!

What's Hot
ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6222
in Amps tFB Trader
I'm a big fan of mesa products, I generally think that they get the quality and tones just right. However the first cab clone video raised an eyebrow, Andertons removed it as most here will know because mesa thought there may have been an error in recording. ANYWAY the video has been redone, it's car crash tv and ultimately the cab clone still sounds shite albeit littered with defence of its shit tone....
Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I hate that dude. I applied for that job and he got it. I hate his seemingly high level of decency.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sorry, but I can't see any way to get from the tone they had in the first vid to the one in the second just by "gain matching". I'm completely convinced they either tweaked the hell out of the amp or did a whole load of post-EQ and compression (or both) to get it to sound like that.

The whole "Ah, but you were using two mics, and that's not a fair comparison" thing smells fishy to me, too.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This sounds like bullshit. 

Simulated outputs are useful, I use the Blackstar HT Metal one, but it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as it does 'in the room' through a proper speaker.  It's like a more nasal, compressed, focused sound. In a mix, it's fine.  Out of a mix, it's fine - it's not perfect, if I wanted a much better tone I'd run it through a Torpedo rack thingy with the normal output and use that to emulate the power amp and cab. 

And that's fine, I am dead happy to record with it. It's better than nothing, and I often don't have the time or inclination to chuck a mic in front of the amp. Not to mention the fact that, with a mic, you really need a bit of volume, if not for tone, then just for a decent signal/noise ratio. 

I do not believe the 'bose home speaker' test thing, either.  When I use the emulated output on the blackstar, I follow it with a tube preamp eq model, which lets me shape the tone (albeit in a basic way compared to more advanced software) to get a more believable result. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72680
    Still sounds shit. Boxy, muffled and takes away all the depth and life from the sound. If that's the best they can do even when they're trying to make excuses for it…

I'm not convinced there was anything wrong with the first demo, and the "explanation" is laughable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The ridiculous part is that if you're using this for recording, you wouldn't use the emulated out anyway - you'd use the unemulated line out (assuming it has one) and put a speaker sim or impulse(s) on the end to tweak it and get it exactly right.

In that regard, it's no different to the Jettenuator...except that the Jettenuator can act as an attenuator, load box or straight DI. And it's half the price.
    <space for hire>
  • digitalscream;456837" said:
    The ridiculous part is that if you're using this for recording, you wouldn't use the emulated out anyway - you'd use the unemulated line out (assuming it has one) and put a speaker sim or impulse(s) on the end to tweak it and get it exactly right.

In that regard, it's no different to the Jettenuator...except that the Jettenuator can act as an attenuator, load box or straight DI. And it's half the price.
    Exactly - if you've got the money for a cab clone, you could get a jettenuator and some really good software DI stuff.

I couldn't believe how great stuff sounded when I used a free trial of torpedo wall of sound. I could use line 6 amp models, with torpedo, and get astonishingly great sounds.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited December 2014
    I've got a CabClone built into my Mesa amp and every time I've DI'd it for recording it's sounded great. Several producers have been very impressed with it. Can't work out why people think it's so bad. Do I just have cloth ears or summat?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72680
    Bucket said:
    I've got a CabClone built into my Mesa amp and every time I've DI'd it for recording it's sounded great. Several producers have been very impressed with it. Can't work out why people think it's so bad. Do I just have cloth ears or summat?
    That assumes the circuit is identical.

Have you listened to the demo? The Cab Clone sounds dire. (In case it matters, "Chappers" is much less irritating than usual in most of it, it is watchable.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11944
    The clone in that video sounds bad, one caveat though is that Andertobs videos are not the best at demoing gear, so this is consistent...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLin;456937" said:
    The clone in that video sounds bad, one caveat though is that Andertobs videos are not the best at demoing gear, so this is consistent...
    A good deal of the "best" gear demos has been processed - that's to say, it's not just a straight up mic signal into the DAW. It's had eq, compression, reverb etc added which renders some of the better gear demos less useful.

The pgs ones are not, as far as I remember from their explanation video, but they demo exactly to the gear's strengths - they don't play through with them, they just find a couple of useful settings and cover something that's most appropriate. They're still pretty useful, though, and consistent with gear used, too.

I think the andertons ones are useful in the sense that they're a relatively honest representation, assuming you understand how chappers plays (usually quite hard). If you can stomach to watch them, that is...
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11641
    tFB Trader
    digitalscream;456837" said:
    The ridiculous part is that if you're using this for recording, you wouldn't use the emulated out anyway - you'd use the unemulated line out (assuming it has one) and put a speaker sim or impulse(s) on the end to tweak it and get it exactly right.

Exactly - if you've got the money for a cab clone, you could get a jettenuator and some really good software DI stuff.

I couldn't believe how great stuff sounded when I used a free trial of torpedo wall of sound. I could use line 6 amp models, with torpedo, and get astonishingly great sounds.

I'm looking forward to getting to use my two notes Torpedo live unit.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited December 2014
    ICBM said:
    Bucket said:
    That assumes the circuit is identical.

Have you listened to the demo? The Cab Clone sounds dire. (In case it matters, "Chappers" is much less irritating than usual in most of it, it is watchable.)
    Haven't watched the demo, but I will.

EDIT: Hmm, that does sound kind of shite. Not as bad as I was expecting, and I dare say it's not a terrible sound on its own but it certainly has very little in common with the sound of the mic.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Watching the start, that's quite embarrassing! It may well be in some contexts the cab clone sounds better but stand alone it's clearly worse sounding than the mic'd options.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    It's actually NOT that they made it sound bad that is wrong with the video, although it doesn't help, it is what's coming out of their mouths and they way they are saying it.  You get the overall feeling that they don't really want to say it and Mesa is putting a lot of pressure onto them just to get it over and done with.
  • It's actually NOT that they made it sound bad that is wrong with the video, although it doesn't help, it is what's coming out of their mouths and they way they are saying it.  You get the overall feeling that they don't really want to say it and Mesa is putting a lot of pressure onto them just to get it over and done with.
    Very true. What I liked about the original video was that they didn't sugarcoat it - it sounded crap, and they said so...and they gained credibility from that. They've now lost that credibility and then some, because anybody with any knowledge in this area knows that it's basically impossible to go from one to the other by adjusting levels.

Unless, of course, you're adjusting levels of specific frequencies ;)
    <space for hire>
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6222
    tFB Trader
    To be fair to the captain and chappers, they were stuck between a rock and a hard place. That video has been damned with faint praise by them both. Mesa should have just accepted that it doesn't sound good, which it doesnt... Whichever caveat you apply.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    edited December 2014
    You can tell how the video is going to go when they start making excuses before any demos were done, and to bring out that tiny battery powered speaker and say you can't tell and playing music through it and that iPhones are how people listening to music these days as a reason for it to sound it does?

You don't lower your bar to the lowest common denominator, they are supposed to be Mesa Boogie, not some Chinese fake Dr Dre Beats.  The goal is not to make it sound the same through a £10 battery speaker but to sound the same through a £10,000 TAG- McLaren bi-amped powered through B+W Nautilus speakers.  They probably can;t do it for their budget but that should be their goal and aim, if you can do that they it will sound the same all the way down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    I could only stand 7:30 minutes of that crap. It's got to be the most irritating demo I've ever seen. Are all Anderton's videos that annoying? And he wants to check more than his tuning.
    I can't stand demos where they just blather on. Short attention span on my part? Maybe, but I don't think so.
  • "It sounds okay" seems to be the most positive comment.

I'm generally a fan of Mesa products - this does not seem worthy of the name.

And Chappers drives me nuts....
  • "It sounds okay" seems to be the most positive comment.

I'm generally a fan of Mesa products - this does not seem worthy of the name.

And Chappers drives me nuts....
    I kinda feel sorry for them in this video...

Mesa sent someone to make sure they read the script and did as they were told. I mean, really?!