Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

MESA CAB CLONE video redone. AWKWARD IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT,!

What's Hot

Comments

• ThePrettyDamned;457187" said:
    I kinda feel sorry for them in this video...

Mesa sent someone to make sure they read the script and did as they were told. I mean, really?!
    I agree there seems some level of coercion - and the 'let's play two back to back recordings through a far-from-hi-fi-speaker - which then has to be miked' part was fascicle.

I have to say this seems like a rare duffer from Mesa - they should have the integrity to pull the product, get it working properly and relaunch it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6222
    tFB Trader
    ThePrettyDamned;457187" said:

Mesa sent someone to make sure they read the script and did as they were told. I mean, really?!
    I agree there seems some level of coercion - and the 'let's play two back to back recordings through a far-from-hi-fi-speaker - which then has to be miked' part was fascicle.

I have to say this seems like a rare duffer from Mesa - they should have the integrity to pull the product, get it working properly and relaunch it.

doubt they'll do that. I imagine what will happen is that they will quietly rework it and release it as a v2 soonish, unless they are too arrogant to believe they have released something that's not up to their usual standards.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • ^ Agreed.
  • slateslate Frets: 89
    I owned one for a day.
    No doubt about it whatsoever, the speaker sims sounded shit. just plain bad.
    A head, a Load box and some good IR's (ownhammer!! ) are where it's at.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 559
    "It sounds okay" seems to be the most positive comment.

I'm generally a fan of Mesa products - this does not seem worthy of the name.

And Chappers drives me nuts....

Yup feels like this to me too.

• asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    Smells of Mesa pressure,redo the vid if you want to keep selling the product. Fact is,this second vid doesn't do it any favours either.
  • Undoubtedly Andertons felt pressured to redo it so as not to damage their supply of Boogies, but it just highlights how their 'reviews' are 'opinions' are just ads and marketing - in case people missed it.  If this is the best you can get out of it with a Mesa tech in the room then I think I'll pass thanks.

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/imadray/Boo_zps3ae56faa.jpg

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Undoubtedly Andertons felt pressured to redo it so as not to damage their supply of Boogies, but it just highlights how their 'reviews' are 'opinions' are just ads and marketing - in case people missed it.  If this is the best you can get out of it with a Mesa tech in the room then I think I'll pass thanks.

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/imadray/Boo_zps3ae56faa.jpg

It does reassure me a tiny bit, though - when they thought it was shite, they actually said so! 

I mean, then they were castrated by mesa, but I guess it goes to show they can be honest in a review.  Even if they generally try to look on the brighter side of things...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I may have completely got the wrong end of the stick but IMHO they're pitching it all wrong. FAO Mesa. Whatever you do, however you try and spin it this demo situation was NEVER going to work. It's a £1600, high end, Handwired amp, mic'd up by someone who's very experienced with getting live and recorded guitar tones (can't deny that bea knows what he's doing) COURSE IT DOESNT SOUND THE SAME!!!!!! By "trying" to convince anyone it does you're cheapening the brand Two undeniable benefits or useful applications it has without a shadow of a doubt are for live (consistency, reliability etc) and bedroom recording. Whether you like the sound that it side is purely subjective. If we take them on their word that the iPhone samples are "untampered" then I love those tones. Idea: good execution: poor
    How very rock and roll
  • Whereas Guitarist magazine make the mark 5 25's cabclone sound better than the mics! 

Spanner in the works?

https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72681
    I don't agree it sounds better than the mic at all - or even as good - but it's certainly much closer, and doesn't have that awful muffled characteristic.

An observation… Andertons used a different, non-Mesa amp. It's quite possible that the Cab Clone simply doesn't work well with that amp. This is very true with attenuators, and I know a lot of people tend to write off all attenuators as tone-sucking after they try the wrong one with the wrong amp, without realising how much you need to find the right one.

Even among Mesa amps the same attenuators don't always work best - for example the Hotplate sounded great with the Trem-o-verb but horrible with the Blue Angel. The Airbrake was the other way round.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    ICBM said:
    I don't agree it sounds better than the mic at all - or even as good - but it's certainly much closer, and doesn't have that awful muffled characteristic.

An observation… Andertons used a different, non-Mesa amp. It's quite possible that the Cab Clone simply doesn't work well with that amp. This is very true with attenuators, and I know a lot of people tend to write off all attenuators as tone-sucking after they try the wrong one with the wrong amp, without realising how much you need to find the right one.

Even among Mesa amps the same attenuators don't always work best - for example the Hotplate sounded great with the Trem-o-verb but horrible with the Blue Angel. The Airbrake was the other way round.
    could you give an idiot friendly suggestion as to why this is, as the hotplate and airbrake suggest that they are the same technology
    darcym said:
    could you give an idiot friendly suggestion as to why this is, as the hotplate and airbrake suggest that they are the same technology
    They are not the same other than both contain load resistors. The Airbrake is purely resistive (apart from a tone correction cap in the 'bedroom' setting, which plays no part in the load presented to the amp), whereas the Hotplate has both inductive and capacitive elements and presents a varying impedance to the amp, particularly when the 'deep' and 'bright' switches are engaged.

As a result the Airbrake is a very 'light' load for the amp, whereas the Hotplate loads the power section more heavily than a real speaker. This makes the power section of the amp respond differently, and makes different types of power sections react in different ways too. The Blue Angel and Trem-o-verb have very different power stage designs even though both are Mesa.

You need to find the type of attenuator which makes the amp's power stage react in the right way. Typically 'Fender' type power stages prefer a heavier load and 'Vox' or 'Marshall' ones prefer a lighter load, but even that is not totally consistent.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    @ICBM : What would you recommend for a 50w Marshall Plexi clone? I know you've suggested the Powerbrake before, but any current production attenuator?

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27269
    edited December 2014
    I actually feel sorry for the Andertons guys here. The Cab Clone just sounds rubbish with this setup. I haven't seen the other vid and I assume it used the same Victory amp (which as IC says, may just not work well with the CC), but either way the net result is that it just sounds balls, and Mesa were clearly upset that the old vid made it sound shit. End result is a demand to re-shoot or risk Mesa pulling their stuff from your shops, which I'm guessing neither party wants.

I can't help feeling they'd have been better saying "Look, like all attenuators and cab sims this works better with some amps than others, so here are a bunch of different amps and tones AB-ed using the same cab, so you can see for yourself how it sounds."

But agin, Mesa probably wouldn't be happy with that as it would still sound rubbish with at least some of them. In any case, I think the Victory amp sounds rubbish just through the micced cab as well, so it's all a bit moot.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    Sorry but that sounds utter fucking shit. For less than half that price is Hughes and Ketner Red Box - that does a similar job and sounds 10 billion times better, and even that ain't great.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:
    For less than half that price is Hughes and Ketner Red Box - that does a similar job and sounds 10 billion times better, and even that ain't great.
    I agree it sounds better, but it isn't directly comparable since it isn't a load box, so you can't run a valve amp into it with no speaker connected. OK, you can add a simple load box as well, and the combined price would still be less than the Cab Clone...

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    True - but as you say, a load box won't cost the earth... and it will sound better.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:
    True - but as you say, a load box won't cost the earth... and it will sound better.
    For any amp under about 50W you can build a perfectly adequate load box for about a tenner! Since it's not in the signal path it doesn't have to be anything special, a plain power resistor in a suitable casing (bearing in mind it can get hot) will do fine.

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

god that video is an absolute car crash...no one really likes it but they keep saying its good.

its like they've been given an umbrella with holes in it and then being asked to say it works fine. obvioulsy it doesnt, but if you use it on a dry day then it works perfectly...sorry we made the mistake of thinking this would keep rain off our head, thats not what it was designed for...ok...so its fine.