My next project

What's Hot

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Sporky said:
    Has the dog yet urinated in the boat?

No but Emp has :D

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Great thread... My view on such, ahem, endeavours... Is who am I to say what someone else should or shouldn't take on. However I am, I reckon, in a fairly unique position in terms of experience in this area as I've pulled a few sunken wrecks from the sea in my time! On one occasion we towed a sunken fibreglass dinghy (14ft) out of the sea using a car. Slowly at first. The rope was attached around the mast step which was strongly supported by the front bulkhead. It ripped the mast step out the boat and tore up the bulkhead... Later, learning from that experience I pulled out a sunken 10ft wooden dinghy. This was cold moulded ply and a very strong construction. We attached the tow rope to the bottom of the centreboard case where it met the hog (this is the backbone of the boat - the strong centre part that runs all the way along the boat from bow to stern). Sadly this had the effect of ripping the centreboard case out. Make of my experience what you will! I would also add that the rope you have might take a ton under ideal conditions but it will fail at a fraction of that at any knot in it. You will need to splice the eye in to have a fighting chance. Your boat is full of mud, is gripped by the mud around it, and is at an awkward angle. If it was just sitting on the mud facing you and was only full of water it would still be weighing in at around 2 tons, just based on the internal volume. That is not easy to drag over mud in the basic case! In any case, have fun and document it - it might make for a great story!

FFS will you delete that post, you bloody killjoy!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7295
    What are the odds that we'd have a dragging boats out of mud expert on here. That;s the power of the inferwebs at work kids.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    We could have had another expert if midiglitch hadn't interfered!

Don't worry Chilli, if nothing else Emp's determined to do things his way, whether it results in chaos/personal injury/death* or anything else

*delete as applicable

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7295
    We could have had another expert if midiglitch hadn't interfered!
    Nah I reckon it will be an insult to Emp's mahood if he can;t manage where midi glitch failed.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Just as long as he doesn't kill himself in the process, I rather enjoy his posts.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24389
    Aww shucks.

I am getting very apprehensive at the moment.  Today is my last day in work for three weeks.  My near-severed finger is well enough to function again (but still stings if you press the lumpy scar) and my hip pain seems to have gone now that I'm on six kilos of Ibuprofen a day.  I can't afford to go abroad again as all the overtime in work has dried up.

This is becoming somewhat of a perfect storm.  I'm running out of excuses to continue procrastinating.  I might actually have to face the prospect of doing some of the jobs on my list.

Oh shit....
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming

Pics of any injuries sustained in the line of duty/jobs actually being done are required.

We'll chip in and get you a bunch of grapes for when you're in hospital

edited August 2013
    I'm recovered enough to visit Emp in hospital, but I'm worried that any update on his projects might cause the hernia to reappear. Might be best if he stuck to pressing wild flowers or something. What could possibly go wrong there?

Chilli, we can get you an anti-hernia girdle, or we can wrap you in gaffa tape for hernia prevention.

Choice is yours

I think the girdle. Then I only need an upgrade to the one I usually wear with the stockings.

• fatherjackfatherjack Frets: 180
    Retrieving the boat didn't quite go to plan, but Emp had no regrets:

You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
    Retrieving the boat didn't quite go to plan, but Emp had no regrets:

That's better than Emp looks now

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24389
    I've got me own hernia thankyouverymuch.  To go with my stented heart, spinal discectomy, tinnitus, semi-chopped index finger and occasional vertigo - and that's without even mentioning the myriad of mental disorders.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    Emp_Fab said:
     the myriad of mental disorders.

I'm shocked :D

• SporkySporky Frets: 28508
    That Emp_Fab used "myriad" correctly?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    That Emp_Fab used "myriad" correctly?

He's an imposter. Actually, Chilli hasn't been seen for a while....

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Are you saying that Emp_Fab and Chilli are the same person!? My mind! It has been blown!
    I'm not saying that, I'm saying Chilli's now an Emp_Fab imposter. Which is probably worse