Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Badly chosen/missmatched support acts.

What's Hot
ElwoodElwood Frets: 455
edited January 2015 in Music
In another thread @Lixarto mentioned he saw Primus support Rush. I'm a Primus fan and it seemed like a really oddly chosen support band.
So following that though - what is the most bizzare support you've seen?

I'm not looking for simply bad support bands just completely out of place considering the headliner.

For me it was the Asian Dub Foundation supporting Radiohead . . . I guess they were good at what they do but couldn't be more different to Radiohead.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16337
    I don't mind a bit of contrast. I used to know the bass player in a Megadeth tribute band who supported Megadeth. That would have been one long evening.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Howie B supporting U2 on their Popmart tour (Longpigs too, but they were OK). Basically a guy playing records that bounced around a half-empty stadium during the daytime yet still had more in common with club culture than anything U2 came remotely close to, despite their not inconsiderable efforts at the time.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4057
    Chicks on Speed supporting Red Hot Chilli Peppers!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I didn't see it but apparently Jimi Hendrix opened for The Monkees on a tour in the 60's!?  Rush seems to like doing that sort of thing, One of the many times I saw them, I think the 2112 tour, they had a solo acoustic blues guitarist/singer open for them.  A very eclectic and amusing one, Joe Mendelson, or Mendelson Joe depending on what year it was.  He reportedly now lives in a remote cabin in Northern Ontario and refuses interviews.  He had a semi hit with "Don't be a shmoe, Come Dance With Joe".  I'm not making this up.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Transglobal Underground supporting Page/Plant back in '98. Basically 1 hour of a live drummer playing dance beats with some godawful female singing some tuneless improvised nonsense over the top of the drums. Not exactly the sort of thing you expect to see before a classic rock type gig.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27634
    Cave In supporting Foo Fighters, not because it was a bad fit, just because they were shit. 

Lily Allen supporting Muse was a bit of a weird fit. She was quite good though.

Most eclectic bill for me has to be Girls Aloud and Jay-Z opening for Coldplay. Cracking gig. GA were rubbish as expected, but turns out the ginger one actually has the best voice by miles as far as we could tell. JZ was phenomenal, as you'd expect.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5117
    The Killers supporting The Dirtbombs.
    Reef supporting Kyuss. (Supposedly - all I remember is it being some appalling corporate rock bollocks)

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12487
    Circus acts in between support bands at Zep's Electric Magic gig at Wembley. I can vaguely remember a trapeze act, but there were definitely performing pigs. Great gig.
  • Cave In supporting Foo Fighters, not because it was a bad fit, just because they were shit. 

Most eclectic bill for me has to be Girls Aloud and Jay-Z opening for Coldplay. Cracking gig. GA were rubbish as expected, but turns out the ginger one actually has the best voice by miles as far as we could tell. JZ was phenomenal, as you'd expect.
    By that I assume you mean the Foo Fighters were shit, as Cave In are one of the best bands of the last 20 years!
    Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23534
    The first proper gig I ever went to in 1979 was Hawkwind supported by punk band Billy Karloff and the Supremes (later renamed the Extremes, presumably for legal reasons).  It didn't seem that weird at the time though, I thought maybe all gigs were like that.

The only other one which springs to mind was some unknown (to me) solo girl singer with an acoustic - I can't remember who the headliners were, unfortunately, but it would almost certainly have been a rock band.  Possibly Marillion...

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27634
    Cave In supporting Foo Fighters, not because it was a bad fit, just because they were shit. 

By that I assume you mean the Foo Fighters were shit, as Cave In are one of the best bands of the last 20 years!
    Not on the evidence of a cold night in November 2002!! Happy to admit i haven't listened since. They might be great on record. Any recommendations?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • He who pays, gets his band on bill….
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • He who pays, gets his band on bill….
    Sadly, this is the truth. I shudder to think how much it must've cost Voodoo Six to get on the Iron Maiden tour, for example.

The only odd one I can think of from recent times was when Leogun - a fairly standard bluesy rock outfit from London - supported Extreme in Birmingham. Most of the crowd were scratching their heads a bit.
    <space for hire>
    Voodoo Six evolved from the band Dirty Deeds who were signed to Beast records - Steve Harris' label.
    Oh and their Guitarist used to play in Lauren Harris' band before joining Priest.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Radish (IIRC) supporting Faith No More.

Mostly cos Radish were shit. All I can remember was 2 nobbers running around the stage, but barely able to play, and absolutely no songs of note.

Gojira supporting Annihilator and Trivium, mostly cos I don't like Gojira's music.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4065
    Van Halen supporting Black Sabbath. 

It wasn't long after VH1 came out, it was Sabbath's 10th anniversary tour, and much as I liked Sabbath then, there was absolutely no way any band in the world could follow an up and coming VH.  They were a force of nature.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11411
    Marquee 1982, a "poet", Eddie Steady Go, supported Gary Moore.

In terms of mismatches it doesn't get bigger.
  • cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    Midfunk supporting Slayer at Newcastle City Hall. About 3 people standing up watching them whilst the rest were chatting amongst themselves and not paying a blind bit of notice.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7913
    The Jam had some dreadful support acts, I recall a lady poet, a rockabilly band who were ok but not popular (the singer amused me by announcing "we going to play our last song now *cheer* TWICE! *boos + laughter and applause from me*) and a Chic-light disco band (IIRC Bananarama were at one gig too).

I always assumed it was deliberate to get the audience a little more desperate to see the main act.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister