Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Badly chosen/missmatched support acts.

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    Mind Funk were a great band!  Although to be fair I'd be unlikely to go to a Slayer gig.... so horses for courses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5112
    The later Mindfunk albums are killer. Much better than the first. Slayer crowds don't have a good reputation.
  • cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    Also remembered seeing Alabama 3 at the Astoria supported by a comedian. That was a strange one.
  • @chrisj1602- Damn right! I worked some of that tour. You KNOW you're in trouble when Flea comes on & pleads with the audience to "be nice & respect these artists". (They got booed off every night). The other support- James Brown was GOOD, but also a left field choice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 455
    @chrisj1602- Damn right! I worked some of that tour. You KNOW you're in trouble when Flea comes on & pleads with the audience to "be nice & respect these artists". (They got booed off every night). The other support- James Brown was GOOD, but also a left field choice.
    Was that their Stadium tour? I saw RHCP with Ash and NERD supporting - good fun.
  • Yup- Promoting stadium arcadium. At the start of the tour they were great, by the end they were pretty jaded & seemed to be going through the motions.
  • stickyfiddle;465450" said:
    Antique_Guitars said:

stickyfiddle said:

Cave In supporting Foo Fighters, not because it was a bad fit, just because they were shit. 

Lily Allen supporting Muse was a bit of a weird fit. She was quite good though.

Most eclectic bill for me has to be Girls Aloud and Jay-Z opening for Coldplay. Cracking gig. GA were rubbish as expected, but turns out the ginger one actually has the best voice by miles as far as we could tell. JZ was phenomenal, as you'd expect.

By that I assume you mean the Foo Fighters were shit, as Cave In are one of the best bands of the last 20 years!

Not on the evidence of a cold night in November 2002!! Happy to admit i haven't listened since. They might be great on record. Any recommendations?
    Are listen to the album Jupiter or ep tides of tomorrow.
    Old Is Gold
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    i think any band for which Slayer opens for...

when Slayer is done with the audience, no other band can really follow up
  • I was also at a show on the Foo Fighters & Cave In tour... I thought they were rather good (& bought Tides from the merch stand).
    Antenna is a rather good album too, 

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5112
    samzadgan;466148" said:

The only bands Slayer would supporting are Sabbath, Maiden and Metallica.
    Lars might struggle but the rest could more than hold there own.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27596
    edited January 2015
    Antique_Guitars;466114" said:
    Are listen to the album Jupiter or ep tides of tomorrow.[/quote]

Cheers, will do. Have found Jupiter on youtube so will have a go and see :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Reverend said:
    samzadgan;466148" said:

I'd put Priest in there too, but only as Slayer started out with Priest covers/as Priest fans.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2369
    Late 80s, I saw Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction at Hammersmith Odeon. They were awesome.

Unfortunately, the support act was 'The Wonderstuff'. WTF? They were shite and the worst mismatch I've seen.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Reverend said:
    samzadgan;466148" said:

there's truth to this...but I will say, when I saw the Big 4 a few years ago...Metallica struggled early on to win the fans after Slayer had blown us away!
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3074
    Wish I could remember the name of the glam/sleaze band that supported Candlemass at the Marquee.....

They didn't go down very well - infact the singer was inviting people to visit him in the toilet after their set to "sort things out".  I'm not entirely convinced he was referring to a punch up, either.

• freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1227
    edited February 2015
    I once witnessed Asian politico rappers Fun-Da-Mental supporting The Cult. Being mates with Ian Astbury wasn't enough to get them much respect from the audience!
    I also saw Scottish popsters Deacon Blue supporting alt country originators, The Long Ryders in the mid/late 80s. Deacon Blue got extra time on account of them being just about to get famous and as a result I missed the last train home from London.
    :-O
    Link to my trading feedback
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16329
    Loooong time ago went to see Nazareth supported by Saxon. Seems hard to believe now but Saxon did hit the relatively big time for a short while ( top 20 albums and singles) so this was an outstanding obligation, I guess, and a good half of the audience left after Saxon finished. I suppose Nazareth still picked up the money on their way out.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Yup- Promoting stadium arcadium. At the start of the tour they were great, by the end they were pretty jaded & seemed to be going through the motions.
    Cool, what were you doing on the tour?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    I saw Kings of Leon when they were supporting Travis, that seemed like an odd fit as it was KOL before they became more poppy/commercial and Travis after they'd become poppy/commercial (i.e. anytime after their first album)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited January 2015
    A generic acoustic-toting singer-songwriter type who supported the peerless Jimmy Webb. Totally forgettable tunes, and the highlight of the evening for me was when he took a dozen times to properly sync the intro to the inevitable 'generic acoustic-toting singer-songwriter type does a song with a looper', his repeated muttering of "shit" and "fucking bastard thing" becoming increasingly audible to the audience. 

A shout out too for a performer known as Paul the Girl IIRC. She was supporting Roy Harper in front of a very devoted Roy crowd. Her blend of surrealist poetry and jagged rhythms did not go down well. A standout moment for me at that gig was when she stomped on a distortion pedal, poised for some whacked out solo, only to be confronted by silence, since she'd obviously got the level control wound right down. Cue mass mirth from the audience which the poor dear never recovered from.