Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Badly chosen/missmatched support acts.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BigMonka;467746" said:
    stimpsonslostson said:

Yup- Promoting stadium arcadium. At the start of the tour they were great, by the end they were pretty jaded & seemed to be going through the motions.

Cool, what were you doing on the tour?
    I used to work security- i used to train Krav Maga & our instructor would get contracts to provide staff for gigs.

It was great. £15 an hour & an access all areas pass! I saw LOADS of stadium show's from 2003-2008... Not all good though there are some terrible (yet popular) pop acts out there!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • +1 for Chicks On Speed supporting RHCP in Cardiff 10 years ago.

I saw Cave In supporting the Foos and I thought they were very good.

Funeral For a Friend supporting Maiden was a head scratcher - I've never heard so many people shout "fuck off" in all my life...
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3959
    I saw some freaky male/female duo supporting The Damned a few years ago. The finale was her taking her knickers off and him going down on her. You should have seen the faces on some of the crowd.
  • About a year or two ago - ZZ Top supporting Guns n Roses. The problem is ZZ Top are still a great band who play effortlessly, matches the record and they still have style. Guns n Roses in 2010s onwards? Please! No.

Upcoming: Rise Against supporting Foo Fighters. Why?!

One I found odd (personally) was Ben Harper supporting Red Hot Chili Peppers. Never really got that. Like them both but on the same bill, wtf? But then again, I don't know who I would put as a support act for RHCP if I were the one in charge of trying to book them! Ha! 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • Wembley Stadium... July 2007... Mastodon *tick*, Machine Head *tick*, Metallica *TICK*... excellent concert.

But between Mastodon and Machine Head were a band called 'Him'. The biggest pile of tripe, and pretty against the vibe of the whole thing. As far as I remember, they got bottled pretty heavily and half the stadium decided that was the point for a loo break.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2369
    Oh shit, I've just remembered. I saw Machinehead, (not my sort of thing), with the support by DragonForce. Needless to say, DF weren't particularly well received by many!!
  • Kings X supported AC/DC on the Razors Edge tour. I happened to be a fan but the rest of the SECC seemed a bit bemused.

Mind you, rock fans seem to have this thing about being too cool to arrive in time to see the support acts, so the place was still half empty.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Moe_Zambeek said:

Mind you, rock fans seem to have this thing about being too cool to arrive in time to see the support acts, so the place was still half empty.

I always try to catch the support acts, sometimes they're fucking ace. Like the StoneGods supporting Thin Lizzy..........

That and the ticket prices includes seeing them, so not to waste money either....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l;474135" said:
    Moe_Zambeek said:

I always try to catch the support acts, sometimes they're fucking ace. Like the StoneGods supporting Thin Lizzy..........That and the ticket prices includes seeing them, so not to waste money either....
    Stone Gods were good. They made a second album. Though there is no plans to ever let it see the light of day. Shame.

A slightly obscure one I just remembered was The Subways being AC/DC support! The lineup was The Subways (who replaced Thin Lizzy) who weren't the main support anyway, The Answer were (I don't dislike them but I'm bored of them now, I hope their new album is worth something) and then obviously DC.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23534
    I thought The Subways were better than The Answer, to be honest.  The Answer have the ingredients to be a good band but there's something so utterly generic and forgettable about them.

Having said that, I was about a trillion miles from the stage at Wembley Stadium so both support bands could've been roadies miming to a tape for all I could see.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16337
    http://byrneingcutie.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/af8b2419-57da-4380-b9a6-bb02ac1b34b1_zpsbd5cd435.jpg Just remembered the heat metal oompah band supporting Deep Purple last year. Seemed to go down quite well although it seemed an odd choice at the time.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    A few already mentioned that I witnessed - RHCP/James Brown/Chicks On Speed in Manchester I totally agree with - I'd have happily just turned up for James Brown and then left again, Chicks On Speed were terrible and RHCP couldn't have been less arsed about being there.

Foo Fighters/Cave In - first time I saw/heard Cave In, incredible band, i'm with @AntiqueGuitars on this one.  Antenna is a great record, their most commercial and accessible.  Although it's possibly the least "Cave In" album of their long discography, it's a lesson in how to fit bone crunching riffs and swathes of ambient guitar textures into catchy songs.  Caleb Schofield is one of my favourite bassists, great lines and MASSIVE tone.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Kasabian supported by kasabian

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    I once witnessed Asian politico rappers Fun-Da-Mental supporting The Cult. Being mates with Ian Astbury wasn't enough to get them much respect from the audience!
    I also saw Scottish posters Deacon Blue supporting alt country originators, The Long Ryders in the mid/late 80s. Deacon Blue got extra time on account of them being just about to get famous and as a result I missed the last train home from London.
    :-O

Back in the mid 90s i saw The Cult in Manchester(cant remember if it was the Academy or the student union). They were supported by a goddawful American wannabe RHCP type thing. The audience were hostile to begin with and they had a crazily generous set time - they were on for aaages. or is seemded like aaaages.then they attempted to dedicate a song to a friend who had ODed. That was when the crowd's patience snapped and the jeers started. Hilariously, the bass player started on the crowd and then jumped in Axl Style to sort the offender out. Cue 10 bouncers having to wade in to rescue him. He emerged naked and bedraggled and they stumbled off stage. Hilarious. I have no idea what they were called though. Too poo to remember. 
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Kings X supported AC/DC on the Razors Edge tour. I happened to be a fan but the rest of the SECC seemed a bit bemused.

Crazy. Me and the Mrs went to see Depeche Mode a couple of years back and Mark Lanegan was the support. He was fantastic. Luckily DM are pretty ace live too