A 2015 mod a Harley Benton guitar challenge?

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    I'm in for a Telecaster, and will keep track of progress here http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/35284/hb-telecaster#latest, with the target of playing it at a gig later this year.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm playing.

Ordered a Tele but may go for this.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_mr_65sb_p90_vintage_se_b_stock.htm
  • GrahamM;535159" said:
    One for me to watch! I've got two Raygun guitars, can't wait to see how on earth you get such awesome results.
  • underdog said:
    And they're back on the site and I've placed my order.
    Just in time, it seems, I think they've disappeared again! :o What are Thomann playing at? 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    themeinside;535459" said:
    underdog said:

And they're back on the site and I've placed my order.

Just in time, it seems, I think they've disappeared again! :o What are Thomann playing at? 
    You're right, that's a bit odd. Mine shipped this morning so they had some then, maybe they will 're appear

• carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Anybody went for Harley Benton's Mustang version? http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ms_60_vintage_white.htm
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Right, I'm back in the game. Damn you Thomann B-stock!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/Mobile Uploads/2015-02/96CDFE8D-B30E-48D0-A708-70AD922F50F1_zpsbeluacsx.jpg

The Honeyburst was good enough not to mod.  My Goldtop Classic will be getting my EMG 81 and 85. Need to get a wiring harness too but that will be later on. Need to shift some gear now.

Anyway, with my voucher for the reviews it's cost me £56 delivered!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It's also a good candidate for a bit of relic'ing. No binding and satin finish....
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10404
    tFB Trader
    I've just joined in the fun!!! I needed a bass to demo my new Oil City bass pickups so I just ordered a maple necked, ash bodied Jazz bass ... B stock for 82 quid!
    Pics to follow as soon as I get it!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

EMG kit ordered!
  • :)>-  Hi all, 

Im new here and think this is an amazing thread, im thinking of joining the challenge myself but i have a lot going on at the moment!   im gutted i missed the kit build i would have done that 100%, can you do it again????

might as well ask a question while im here:  whats the best way of removing the paint from the guitar?

enjoy the challenge all

Jason
  • I intend to use a heat gun to strip the poly coating off my tele, then I'll sand any residual stuff till I've got bare wood.
    I wouldn't use a heat gun if you're getting a 335 type thing- not sure heating a laminated guitar is a good idea!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thanks stimpson,

we have a heat gun at work so night shift could get busy!!   does it usually take ages with a lot of elbow grease using this method?
    jase128;538336" said:
    thanks stimpson,

we have a heat gun at work so night shift could get busy!!   does it usually take ages with a lot of elbow grease using this method?
    Depends really, some thick finishes will peel off in huge chunks once it's had a bit of heat applied, so takes no time.

I've used paint stripper in the past with no issue, though it's nasty stuff.

It's always the sanding I hate once the pain is off.

As a side note the explorer turned up today so will report back later.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    My guitar and wiring kit have been dispatched...l
    edited February 2015
    I think I've found an issue with these Harley Benton guitars and the challenge, unless you buy b stock or are very unlucky there really isn't much wrong with them.

The explorer is absolutely brilliant, if it was an Epiphone you'd paid £400 you'd be more than happy with how it plays and looks.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdog said:
    I think I've found the issue with these Harley Benton guitars, unless you buy b stock or are very unlucky there really isn't much wrong with them.

The explorer is absolutely brilliant, if it was an Epiphone you'd paid £400 you'd be more than happy with how it plays and looks.

That DOES seem to be the trend we're seeing. A mate of mine is looking for a cheap LP clone (he's currently borrowed my Vintage Lemon Drop) after seeing the consistent standard of these, I'm going to point him at the Thomann website.
    I have four different ones so far, all great players with good features, passable to great hardware and all have great necks. The finishing has been pretty good. All in all I've probably replaced less on these than on major manufacturer guitars....
  • The explorers are gone from the website again. Had just about decided to get one too. :/
    edited February 2015
    redrighthand;538910" said:
    The explorers are gone from the website again. Had just about decided to get one too. :/
    Yeah, they reappeared for couple for hours other day, and went again after I ordered. Send them a mail, they replied to me in couple of hours when I asked about their availability. I sent it to the guitar department email address.