A 2015 mod a Harley Benton guitar challenge?

What's Hot

Comments

• Order placed.  Ummed and ahhed for a while with folk tempting me with other models but have opted for the flying-v as originally intended.

No idea what I'm going to do with it yet but I'll get a thread up and running when it arrives.  Hopefully I'll get some inspiration when I get my hands on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Is there a list somewhere of which Harley Bentons folks have gone for so far?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27507
    Chalky said:
    Is there a list somewhere of which Harley Bentons folks have gone for so far?
    The ones that have arrived *should* have a separate thread in the sub-section.

Else you've got to read through this thread and assume that people haven't changed their minds ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    On the upside, It plays rather nicely even if it does want to leap onto the floor headfirst.
    I will start a thread after its been replaced, not sure theres all that much to do to it though, setup maybe some electronics and fretwork.

Pending the size of my bonus I mifht have the pickups rewound and retune it to be parallel to my 8, EBEADGC
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    My Honeyburst is in the country. Excited about this one.
    Yay! It's out for delivery! So is the RG. Boo! They are both going to my work address and I'm off til Monday.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6147
    tFB Trader
    mine arrived yesterday!!!! ill start a thread soon
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27507
    I'm really torn here.

Part of me wants to take part in the challenge and try to do something vaguely competent with a cheapy guitar.  That part also wants to buy another guitar because it'll be new and shiny.

The other part of me took the rational decision to de-guitar this year, and is trying to sell off some nice guitars.  That part of me says its completely irrational to sell nice stuff and replace it with cheap stuff that is unlikely to ever get played.  It also says that I should get on and finish some of the half-finished projects that I've half-started, rather than start another one.

The rational part is currently winning the debate.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It's a big dilemma for me too. I have about 23 guitars now and a few in bits. A lot of them were cheap mainly under £100 and have little or no resale value. Basically I need to put all the parts in the loft for a few years, maybe even give a couple of guitars away just to make some space and concentrate on what I have.

The GAS is pretty much insatiable and the actual playing suffers. I may need to go cold turkey again. I've done it before for a few months but then a few parts appeared that were at too good a price not use. Then the inevitable bargain guitar appears (definitely the BC Rich with EMG's) that can't be turned down or I get a bonus from work and it all starts again. 

I think I have to say that when these two projects are complete that I'll have to delete EBay, put all but the setup tools and parts in the loft and learn some new songs!
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    edited February 2015
    TTony said:
    I'm really torn here.

Part of me wants to take part in the challenge and try to do something vaguely competent with a cheapy guitar.  That part also wants to buy another guitar because it'll be new and shiny.

The other part of me took the rational decision to de-guitar this year, and is trying to sell off some nice guitars.  That part of me says its completely irrational to sell nice stuff and replace it with cheap stuff that is unlikely to ever get played.  It also says that I should get on and finish some of the half-finished projects that I've half-started, rather than start another one.

The rational part is currently winning the debate.
    That's where I am also at the moment, @TTony.  I'm also into the mode of 'why would I want to make any changes because they all look pretty fabulous in any case'!   :))

A bit later, if a few other projects I've got on the go make good progress, I MIGHT buy an LP simply to try out veneering a carved top using one of those 'store your duvet in a millionth of the space they normally take up' vacuum bag...just to see if it works...
    #-o
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    I'd be up for buying one of these modded guitars later on. I'm sure one of you will be a seller soon, right?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well I've got my Honeyburst. Not sure I actua want to mod it! Plays great. Needs the usual fingerboard cleaning/oiling. Not plugged it in yet but acoustically it sounds good. Only one flaw on the back of the neck which I think happened in transit. Pics later. It's beautiful.
  • Niallmo said:
    Well I've got my Honeyburst. Not sure I actua want to mod it! Plays great. Needs the usual fingerboard cleaning/oiling. Not plugged it in yet but acoustically it sounds good. Only one flaw on the back of the neck which I think happened in transit. Pics later. It's beautiful.
    i know what you mean! i bought the `honeyburst` in september, there`s no way i could rip it apart , it`s too beautiful!!. *sighs wistfully*
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    If I remember to put money in the bank (forgot to do it twice already ) I will be ordering tomorrow, after seeing the 335 someone had I may get that over the explorer now.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    I'm tempted by one of the Telecasters. Since it's going to be modded, and original parts thrown away, I'm wondering about starting with the kit. It will have to have six saddles for a start because I'm not happy with the shared saddle intonation. Driving home tonight I was even wondering about doing a bit of metal bashing myself, and creating a bridge and control plate from sheet metal.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Eerrrrr... Not at all sure that the Lemonburst needs any mods. A bit of TLC and it's good as gold. Only bad points are scratchy tuners which may be sorted by some Servisol and the slightly sharp fret ends. Playability is excellent and it sounds good. Even the controls seem to have a good range. Maybe I simply got a very good one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Niallmo said:
    Eerrrrr... Not at all sure that the Lemonburst needs any mods. A bit of TLC and it's good as gold. Only bad points are scratchy tuners which may be sorted by some Servisol and the slightly sharp fret ends. Playability is excellent and it sounds good. Even the controls seem to have a good range. Maybe I simply got a very good one.
    Nothing wrong with NOT modifying a perfectly good guitar.
    Glad to know that it's a good un, a mate of mine is looking for a LP type & having a HB Tele I was considering pointing him at the Thomann website. If their LP's are decent it could be a winner.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676

Niallmo said:
    Glad to know that it's a good un, a mate of mine is looking for a LP type & having a HB Tele I was considering pointing him at the Thomann website. If their LP's are decent it could be a winner.
    its just not in the spirit - strip, mess with it and mod it until its no longer a good guitar ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:

Niallmo said:
    its just not in the spirit - strip, mess with it and mod it until its no longer a good guitar ;)
    Yeah - I've done that a few times!   :))