Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The fallen idol thread

What's Hot
LevLev Frets: 228
edited January 2015 in Music
First up, David Coverdale, once one of the best front men in rock, now looking like a bit of an old perv. If ever there was a case for using autotune this is it. The look on Reb Beech's face at 2:00 is particularly funny.

Edit: funny is the wrong choice of words. I'm not laughing at this performance, I'm more saddened as a fan.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    edited January 2015
    Looks and sounds like he has cold, to be fair to the man.

EDIT: plus half a bottle of brandy, perhaps.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    This is a bit of a low road to go down IMO. We all age and youth gives you an edge that you will more than likely lose with time. That doesnt mean older people should stop doing what they enjoy (and may be famed for). A passion is a passion at the end of the day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    tFB Trader
    Yup - same cold he's had since 1987.
    Was it vocal chord problems...
    Was it a nosejob to please the record company and look good on MTV (don't think it was the bleach job on his hair to be fair)
    Was it the new teeth - all chicklet style affecting his singing

Love Whitesnake but have had to give up seeing them live

Also them having two hotshot guitarists and yet managing to produce the WORST  live guitar solo I've ever heard - sounded like the din you hear at a guitar show where everybody is playing at the same time  - zero taste and coordination.
    This when the band has such a huge back catalogue and blues rock heritage is unforgiveable

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    Parker said:
    This is a bit of a low road to go down IMO. We all age and youth gives you an edge that you will more than likely lose with time. That doesnt mean older people should stop doing what they enjoy (and may be famed for). A passion is a passion at the end of the day.
    I was actually a big fan and was just shocked by this vid when I saw it. I just think maybe when you clearly can't hit notes anymore it might be time to think about calling it a day. The band still rocks but the vocals are way off and I think these performances are eroding the legacy of a great front man. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    ^ Plastic surgery in rock is always regrettable - Steve Tyler, Ozzy Osborne, Gene Simmons - they all look a bugger.

Oddly enough, pre-nose job - Sting seemed to be considered a 'credible' musician.

Afterwards he seemed to be considered a pretentious prick.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24334
    Bloody hell that was bad.

Time for him to call it a day.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10414

Sounds like they are playing that in E rather than F# so they have tuned down a whole tone to help his vocals ..... but it's not enough he just can't hit the highs anymore 

Nice Yamaha sub kicks on the bass drums 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24334
    Nowt wrong with the band.

Singer role just needs recasting!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72406
    Oddly enough, pre-nose job - Sting seemed to be considered a 'credible' musician.

Afterwards he seemed to be considered a pretentious prick.
    I think everyone else should have just asked Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland… they could have told you that all along.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Not a fan of Whitesnake, but having seen a few live reviews of late where it has been noted that he leaves the audience/ band to sing as much as he sings himself, I can see they weren't exaggerating, and I can hear why he does it too!

It's a shame for the fella, but what can you do. Just down to the luck of the draw, to some extent.

Bruce Dickinson is 7 years younger but is in the form of his life, Glenn Hughes has years of drug abuse behind him but has a ridiculously strong voice for a man of his age - at 62 I make that a year younger than Coverdale, but you'd think it was more like ten.

• Jeez. DC sounds and looks awful. The rest of the band look frankly ridiculous too.

I'm quite shocked by that.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    Totally agree with @FelineGuitars. Whitesnake's decline started at 1987.
    Marsden, Moody and Lord (God rest his cotton socks) were where it was at with that band for me
    Also does anyone else wince involuntarily every time they hear the "rocked up" version of Here I Go Again?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    FX_Munkee said:
    Totally agree with @FelineGuitars. Whitesnake's decline started at 1987.
    Marsden, Moody and Lord (God rest his cotton socks) were where it was at with that band for me
    I think it started when Bernie Marsden and Ian Paice left. (1982?) Or maybe even earlier… I don't they ever did a better album after Ready And Willing in 1980.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    tFB Trader
    Ready and Willing was excellent - but Come and Get it was also pretty fine.
    Saints and Sinners wasn't so hot - but it suffered production wise I felt.
    I loved the Slide It In album and David's voice was still intact at that point

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Please make it stop. That video is awful.

In addition I'll throw Queensryche's Ex-Singer Geoff Tate into the mix. Lost his vocal range, and turned into a giant wankheaded cockbadger to boot.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Oh, and he's started looking like Blakey from On The Buses.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited January 2015
    It's quite sad really. A old guitarist can just strum away fine, a bit slower than their younger self, but the singer can't hide. Fish is the same, that voice has gone (but he still sounds a lot better than DC in that clip).

However Robert Plant's mature voice sounds fantastic, and he's doing material that suits it (possibly a reason he continually turns down the offers of trotting out the old songs with Page). 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15503
    what not the DJ said, age (and a rock and roll lifestyle) can be tough on the voice, and there's no hiding place. It's all well and good saying they should quit, but the ego sometimes makes it hard to make rational choices. Getting old sucks, they should find a cure or something.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

However Robert Plant's mature voice sounds fantastic, and he's doing material that suits it (possibly a reason he continually turns down the offers of trotting out the old songs with Page). 
    Plant has aged far better than the others of similar style from his generation, or even many quite a bit younger. I don't think he held back from the rock'n'roll lifestyle that much either! It's his musical maturity that makes the difference - whereas Coverdale is still trying to do basically the same stuff he did thirty years ago, and most of the others are as well.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    That was unpleasant.

There aren't too many vocalists who've managed to withstand the effects of age on the material that made them famous. The sensible ones don't try and aim for the notes that were an effort when they were young. I'm not sure I'd want to pay to see an hour of someone howling, even if he's got a set of new gnashers.