Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The fallen idol thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Embarrassing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22929
    I've been shocked by how bad Coverdale sounds on the last couple of Whitesnake albums, even with all the benefits of being able to fix things in the studio.  His voice is totally shot.

(As an aside, I love everything Reb Beach does with Winger - I know I'm in a minority there - but everything he's done with other bands like Dokken, The Mob and especially Whitesnake is bloody awful.  I don't get it.)

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285
    edited January 2015
    I thought that was quite good....

compared to my singing.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Meh, it was ok as far as I'm concerned. It's just a live performance. As said, we all get older.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I think Ian Watkins probably counts as a fallen idol, doesn't he.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Bucket said:
    I think Ian Watkins probably counts as a fallen idol, doesn't he.

No, he defo falls into the "utter cunt" catagory.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • I have fallen idle, if that helps...?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I have fallen idle, if that helps...?

Unless there's free Creme Eggs

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l said:
    I have fallen idle, if that helps...?

Unless there's free Creme Eggs
    Ain't no mountain high enough, ain't no valley low enough to keep me from....Creme Eggs.

True dat.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27077
    Coverdale looks like a creepy rock Barry Manilow. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I was trying to think who he sounded like to me.

Then it came in a horrible flash: do you remember the croaky voiced gossip out of Corrie in the 80's ,Phyllis Pearce?
    That's who he reminds me of.

Problem is though when someone's ability to do something goes shit-the-bed: just HOW do you tell them it's time to stop?

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    Phyllis Pearce....wine spitting LOL
  • That was rough I have to say, he must have been ill. Looks like he's got new Hampsteads in as well.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22929
    Skarloey said:
    I was trying to think who he sounded like to me.

Then it came in a horrible flash: do you remember the croaky voiced gossip out of Corrie in the 80's ,Phyllis Pearce?
    That's who he reminds me of.

That also explains why he's been stalking Chalkie Whitely....

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Just as awful as I remember: Whitesnake at Hammersmith was one of the few gigs I've ever walked out of. Probably around 10 years ago now. They were so loud, you couldn't actually make out what they were playing and they looked like Spinal Tap, what with the ridiculous leather trousers, bare chest, waistcoat image. Snakecharmer, with Mickey Moody and Laurie Wisefield on guitars, are much better interpreters of Whitesnake's classic songs.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    Peter Green. I hate to say it as he is my guitar hero, but since the very early 70s his voice and playing went south.

Obviously this happens with age anyway but he has had more than enough shit occur in his life that has probably contributed as well.

Such a shame as in his prime he was just ridiculously good.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    One of my family lives near Canvey/Southend and sees PG wandering around the area quite often. Apparently he considers himself "a keyboard player" these days. Agreed though, a huge loss to the guitar world and a very sad sight nowadays. :(
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Robert Plant sounds fine on "Raising Sand". Just a question of choosing songs that the singer is able to sing. And hire a singer for the other songs....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11912
    Lev said:
    First up, David Coverdale, once one of the best front men in rock, now looking like a bit of an old perv. If ever there was a case for using autotune this is it. The look on Reb Beech's face at 2:00 is particularly funny.

Edit: funny is the wrong choice of words. I'm not laughing at this performance, I'm more saddened as a fan.

What's with the scary Bob Fossil style rubbing of his own nipple?
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    His voice, oddly, would probably be awesome for a blues album. I've got nothing against older people rocking out, as long as they put on a good show, or do it for free.

Paying to see Coverdale perform like that would annoy me.

I'd just have to lick Reb's Suhr instead. You know, the one made of wood. That he plays with his fingers.....ah screw it, the onslaught is unavoidable isn't it?!