Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should every guitar player own an acoustic?

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Everyone should have a 12 string acoustic.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033

I love feeling the guitar come alive when you strum it and get the air moving.

...for about 0.4 seconds...then I think "F*ck it" and pick up the nearest electric to hand.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    We had a couple of interesting debates on MR about the merits of starting out on an acoustic....like Clapton and Jimmy Page did.
     We even had teachers furiously telling us that there is no argument or justification for seeing a first acoustic as some sort of Rites of Passage that had to be endured.....even though nobody had ever suggested that.......
    :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17706
    tFB Trader
    Nope, I've got one, but I keep it at my mums and never play it.

Acoustic doesn't really interest me at all.
  • I'm with @IBCM and @guitarfishbay on this. I have a few acoustics and don't play them much except for the one I keep by me for messing about with and just checking over chord & scale fingerings. ATM the "studio" is still in bits and I have little incentive to go into a cold room and try to find space to sit while I plug an electric into an amplifier that I know the neighbours will hear as soon as I turn it on. Of the other acoustics two go back a long way with me so I'm not about to get rid and a third was a legacy from a now deceased family friend so likewise I'm not about to get rid. 
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5192
    I'm acousticless as after playing a Martin JC 16RGTE anything I play in my price range just sounds pants :(
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I felt the same for many years I always had an acoustic but the electrics were the go to guitars, now that I only play bass live, I have gone the total opposite.
    I just don't click with solids any more I still adore the look and feel but they just hang on the wall looking pretty.

I sold my last remaining solid body (les paul) 2 days ago and only own semi solids and acoustics, I find I'm more comfortable playing my acoustics, I love the intimacy of the unplugged sound, just me and the guitar no effects or pickups to adjust the sound, but using my fingers to give it what tone it needs.

TTony is right, an acoustic lays you bare you can't hide any poor techniques and can make you a better player,

Plus they're a hell of a lot more versatile than most people think, just listen to the violent femmes or gogol bordello to see how aggressive /groovy etc an acoustic can be.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23276
    I love the sound of acoustic guitars, I'd love to be able to "wow" my friends by casually grabbing an acoustic off its stand and playing them a catchy tune.... but I just don't get on with them.

It's not so much the stiffer strings and higher action (although they are problematic), it's the bulk and thickness of the body - reaching around it always makes my right shoulder ache.  I just can't cope with big guitars.

I'd rather play an unplugged thinline, it's close enough for me.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11970
    Philly_Q;500021" said:
    I love the sound of acoustic guitars, I'd love to be able to "wow" my friends by casually grabbing an acoustic off its stand and playing them a catchy tune.... but I just don't get on with them.

It's not so much the stiffer strings and higher action (although they are problematic), it's the bulk and thickness of the body - reaching around it always makes my right shoulder ache.  I just can't cope with big guitars.

I'd rather play an unplugged thinline, it's close enough for me.
    Taylor T5z, problem solved! Or the regular T5,
    It even has a spruce top.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23276
    Hmmm, I'm not sure about the T5 or T5z models... if it was possible to make something with those kind of ergonomics which actually sounded great as an acoustic, rather than being designed primarily as an amplified acoustic-electric... then yes, I'd be interested for sure.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited January 2015
    ICBM said:
    I tried an ANgelus but honestly, the Larrivee I got is the best I've played - better than some of the top-end Martins I tried!
    Don't undervalue a Larrivée or be surprised that it's that good. They are some of the best acoustics made anywhere. If you like the particular type of tone they have - although I admit it's not my thing really - you won't do much or any better.

You don't "need" an acoustic, but it doesn't hurt to play one even if you mainly play electric. It teaches you different things.
    Agreed! Actually, I find the tone is best for hard strumming. It's good for fingerstyle but I prefer Martins for fingerstyle (the boxier Martin tone suits it better IMO). The Larrivee B string sounds "hot" - a bit like a 12-string but I like that - really rings out. The thing really resonates. Only thing I'd say is the neck is slightly thicker/rounder than I'd like. Actually, after saying all that, I'd love to try one of the 000-15m Martins again lol... (no, must stop it!!). 
    Just to note, I do enjoy playing it, it's just that I rarely do. I have a few showpieces for the acoustic but unless you keep it up I find it's work to get back into the swing of things. I agree about it laying bare your technique. 
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Love my acoustic. Wouldnt be without one. I had a brief period last year when i thought i wanted to sell my LL6 on here but the madness passed. I bottled it on a couple of offers and realised that it was just a phase and i would seriously regret it.
    Its a different experience to an electric isnt it? Nowhere to hide, etc. I even enjoyed the terrible ones i had as a teenager - there was a cheap Tanglewood one that had an awful action but sounded great with a slide(this one might still be in my mum's attic!).   
    But theres no rule that says you are a lesser guitar player because you dont enjoy it. Screw it, if the acoustic isnt doing it for you sell it and get something that does it for you.

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    edited January 2015
    I would say yes. I find it easier to learn acoustic songs on an acoustic guitar(or should i say i find it difficult to switch from leccy to acoustic if i have learned on leccy first). I wouldnt rule out all songs played on acoustic, theres some great tunes to learn and play. I find it helps strengthen my hands. Five minutes after playing acoustic i can play legato on my leccy, usually for about 5 mins but im working on it.
    :)
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 205
    Yes! There's something amazing about a decent all solid wood acoustic resonating on you, I can feel the sound everywhere on my taylor 414... I played a larrivee and it was to die for just too big! ... And if it's set up and resonant you can do legato no probs!
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    For people who find them to big, how are you holding it?
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15683
    with both hands wrapped firmly around the base, but that's a bit of a personal question, frankly.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31743
    I need an acoustic because like most of us I spend my weekends sitting round beach campfires with my good-looking friends, who all wear pastel colours and have perfect smiles.

Yeah right.
    Actually I do a couple of acoustic gigs every month, which obviously means pickups, preamps, PA systems etc, so in reality it's just "different-sounding electric".

If you don't need yours just sell it. Although learning diverse musical instruments or styles is always healthy IMO, nobody would tell an acoustic guitarist that they really should have at least one electric guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15683
    heh, I do have one electric guitar. It almost never gets plugged in and only really gets played if my finger tips get a bit sore from playing too much.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    I was down at a mate's last weekend (Jonny Scaramanga, you may recall from the MR days!), he has a lovely little collection of electrics - but frankly it was when he bought out the D28 from its cupboard that I was totally blown away. He's primarily an electric player, too, but just the sound of that thing as it 'blooms' with strumming was beautiful...needaMartinneedaMartinneedaMartin... :(
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I'm off to my building site to play my Lowden (it's sorted in the garage.)