Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should every guitar player own an acoustic?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72913
    What are some of THE best acoustics?
    Gibson.

But only some of them… they have nowhere near the consistency of most other top brands, but if you find a good one there's nothing like it.

Other people will like different things!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4355
    edited February 2015
    Lowdens aren't shoddy but I'm a bit biased. Depends what you want out of it. I got one with a cutaway but don't ever really get up the real dusty end, so it doesn't make a huge difference to me.

There's plenty of small luthiers as well.

If you are gassing again your a sick man! :)

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12019
    thomasross20;523749" said:
    Getting right back into playing mine now...
    For electrics, Suhr,PRS,Gibson etc are top brands. What are some of THE best acoustics?
    Martin, Gibson, Taylor, Santa Cruz.

I'd take a Taylor any day of the week though, but I like bright acoustic sounds.
  • I have to say, I'm not a fan of Taylors! I love Martins... and Larrivee's!
    Stonebridge are good. Yet to try a James-Patrick-Eggle (!?) or Lowden...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23506

I've always liked the look of Lowdens but I can't play acoustic to save my life so I'm extremely unlikely to ever buy one. 

I did have a bottom-of-the-range Lakewood for a while, that's the only decent acoustic I've ever owned.

• I'd better shut up before I start even thinking about GAS. 
    The only thing I'll GAS for is an acoustic pickup. The ONLY way I'm buying an expensive acoustic is if I build a large fingerstyle repertoire and will play it live. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Another Gibson fan.
    I used to play an old Humminbird  and an SJ200 that belonged to a friend and they were both glorious. Especially the Hummingbird. I was hoping to buy it off him but he moved to Malibu and that was that.
  • Never played a Gibbo acoustic - it's on my to-do list now!
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Gibson here as well, I have had a few high end acoustics, and my hummingbird honestly beats them all. I will never want another acoustic again.
    mrchi said:
    Gibson here as well, I have had a few high end acoustics, and my hummingbird honestly beats them all. I will never want another acoustic again.
    I thought that too, about my Dove…

… until I played my CJ-165 :)).

They're really very different, it would be extremely hard to choose between them because each does things the other can't - which is remarkable really considering they're both all-maple Gibsons.

So I decided to sell my PRS instead.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@ICBM you have a book about u2, any further comments you make here on it will be null and void , you should be shamed :D
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Am I perverted for finding that CJ-165 shape almost sexy?
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4298
    mrchi said:

Aye, there is something about Gibson acoustics. That really thumpy bass on a J45 is so different to the Martin sound, although love that too. Great acoustics to sing with, just blend perfectly with your voice. And they are really versatile, usually good strummers, pickers whatever. Not too lush sounding, just nice and percussive and don't overpower everything else.

This is a J45 Legend. Apparently an exact copy of a 1942 Guitar, down to the last detail, roughly cut braces, bits of glue squeezed out etc. etc.. Really does feel and sound like a very old guitar. Monster neck, about a Nocaster and a half again.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What a lovely looking guitar!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I was very disappointed with my mate's Taylor, when I played it. His J200, and his Martins are very nice, though!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited February 2015
    Must admit I like the Martin Performing Artist series - very nice and good electronics. 

But again, listen to how sweet Larrivee's are!

• Please forgive me. I went to a shop today to try out a bunch of Martins, including the OMCPA4. None of them could touch my Larrivee with a bargepole! Last time I go looking for acoustics. I already have my perfect one!!
    Please forgive me. I went to a shop today to try out a bunch of Martins, including the OMCPA4. None of them could touch my Larrivee with a bargepole! Last time I go looking for acoustics. I already have my perfect one!!
    You also know to never sell it now :). Even Larrivées vary.

So this was not a waste of time at all.

Martins were once the 'gold standard' of acoustics - although even back then, Gibsons were an alternative - but nowadays there are so many more great guitars than that, and above a certain quality it just comes down to personal taste.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited February 2015
    Personal taste, definitely,. 
    I tried the same guitar as mine in another shop and it wasn't the same. Some just have "the magic"
    Also - I don't think I care about cutaway on an acoustic. On an electric, definitely!
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2618
    edited February 2015
    Never owned a "proper" acoustic.  My first two guitars were acoustics but the first was a swap for a slightly scratched copy of Led Zeppelin 1 and the second, a conspicuous upgrade, cost £8.  I mainly practised electric blues licks on them using ultra-light strings and when I got an electric they were forgotten about.

Since then I've owned a couple of (very cheap) classical guitars but they haven't been given a lot of attention.

I've toyed with buying a good quality acoustic but my fingers have always struggled with the heavier strings/higher action of a steel acoustic and now I've got a bit of arthritis which won't make that any easier.  There's also so much I want to work on with my electric playing I'm not sure I could find time to progress on what would be virtually a new instrument in terms of technique.

If I were to buy an acoustic it would need to have very close to electric levels of playability or I suspect I'd be wasting my time.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”