Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should every guitar player own an acoustic?

What's Hot

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    I think acoustic playing IS radically different from electric playing.

Firstly a lot of the skill when playing electric at volume is in preventing unwanted sounds - ie damping, where often with an acoustic, it's about getting as much sound out if it as possible.

Electric playing is almost always within the context of a band, where acoustic playing is often solo - so the chord voicings you chose are different.

Open tunings tend to be much more a part of acoustic players' repertoires, than with electric players, etc.

Do you need to play both?

No - but each bring their own rewards.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8561
    I've always had an acoustic around, even though they get far less play time than the Electrics. My Taylor is the first one I've bonded with because, whilst there are probably better sounding acoustics, it still sounds very sweet and it's the first one I've had where I feel unhindered, it's very playable all the way up the neck and sustains for days.

If your predominately an electric player I think the neck and playability is a real consideration.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The neck on the Larrivee is definitely a bit fat fir me. Must try a taylor GS mini again
  • Played it a little bit tonight - it can be pretty satisfying ;D 
    Maybe I just need to set a "goal" - something to "do" with it... 
    I think my OM02 comes with 12 lights. I want to try 11s.
  • My acoustic is on a stand in the lounge and therefore probably gets played the most. Absolutely couldn't be without one.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15745
    Played it a little bit tonight - it can be pretty satisfying ;D 
    Maybe I just need to set a "goal" - something to "do" with it... 
    I think my OM02 comes with 12 lights. I want to try 11s.
    I play with 11's (couple of dodgy knuckles on my fretting hand), no discernable loss of either volume or tone.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72913
    It depends on the guitar. Some need heavier strings to 'drive' them properly, others don't. Unfortunately for me, my Gibson Dove does sound a lot better with 12s than 11s (which I prefer otherwise). Some can even sound too tight and constricted with too-heavy strings.

If I had to guess I'd say a Larivée will sound good with 11s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

some of the gibbos I've tried you need telegraph wires to get a decent tone out of them.

• ICBM said:
    It depends on the guitar. Some need heavier strings to 'drive' them properly, others don't. Unfortunately for me, my Gibson Dove does sound a lot better with 12s than 11s (which I prefer otherwise). Some can even sound too tight and constricted with too-heavy strings.

If I had to guess I'd say a Larivée will sound good with 11s.
    I use 12s on my Larrivee OM09; have tried 11s but just don't give nought projection

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I use 13s as they really drive the board.
  • Evilmags;503770" said:
    I use 13s as they really drive the board.
    Real men do....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    noisepolluter;502841" said:
    My acoustic is on a stand in the lounge therefore probably gets played the most. Absolutely couldn't be without one.
    Same here, I would like the electrics hanging on the wall, but not feasible at the moment.
  • I play about 70% of the time on a cheapo Yamaha classical.  I'm selling most of my electrics so I can get a new Alhambra classical cutaway, or possibly Burguet or Ramirez.  I still record and jam a fair bit with an electric but I like the fact with an acoustic guitar it's easier to play tunes that accompany themselves where with an electric I'm more inclined to mindlessly riff.  Plus it's the simplicity of not messing with amps, leads and pedals.  I don't play so much steel string acoustic anymore, I just find it easier with the wider sting spacing of a classical and it's easier on nails.  So yeah, depends what you like, I'll always have both acoustics and electrics around but if I had to choose I'd go acoustic.

• I was in a music store today and tried out another OM-02 (down to £700!!!) vs a Martin 000-15m. 
    Martin was great but I just couldn't turn away from the Larrivee! 
    HOWEVER, it's bridge was a little high. The guy at the shop said they sometimes put 11s on and file it down for customers if asked. 

The guy said the newer Larrivees are made in California (I think he said that, anyway) but still sell for "Canadian" prices. What does this mean? Are American acoustics meant to be superior to Candian ones? My one kicked the OM-02 in the shop's ass!! And that was Canadian made.
    Remember that it's technically impossible for any other country to make a guitar as good as an American one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    oddly enough my larry, which is at least 10 yrs old was made in californeia.

• VimFuego said:
    oddly enough my larry, which is at least 10 yrs old was made in californeia.
    Larrivee has moved all its manufacturing to California, closing down the Vancouver plant.  My C09 and OM09 were both made in Vancouver; my TSB SD50 was made in California.  I had a tour of the Vancouver site when I was there on hold nearly 10 years ago. It had one of the best working environments I have ever come across, seems to be dedicated staff genuinely enjoying their work and displaying a real sense of pride in what they were making.  Might go along way to explaining why Larrys are such good guitars
  • I was in a music store today and tried out another OM-02 (down to £700!!!) vs a Martin 000-15m. 
    Martin was great but I just couldn't turn away from the Larrivee! 
    HOWEVER, it's bridge was a little high. The guy at the shop said they sometimes put 11s on and file it down for customers if asked. 

The guy said the newer Larrivees are made in California (I think he said that, anyway) but still sell for "Canadian" prices. What does this mean? Are American acoustics meant to be superior to Candian ones? My one kicked the OM-02 in the shop's ass!! And that was Canadian made.
    There is no suggestion from Larrivee that they see their California plant making better guitars than they did in Vancouver.  Sounds like total and utter sales pish from the store in question who are probably struggling to see that brand 
    There is no suggestion from Larrivee that they see their California plant making better guitars than they did in Vancouver.  Sounds like total and utter sales pish from the store in question
    Exactly. In case anyone thought I was being serious above because I forgot the smiley…

:)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23507
    All this talk about Larrivee has got me interested in their electrics, which wasn't really the point of tthis thread but... anyone know a UK dealer which actually stocks them?