Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What planet is Gibson on exactly?

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8554
    It must be a nostalgia thing, as I seem to like anything from the early 90's, and I like that too. I think it's quite cohesive design that still looks pretty good. Like the lurid colours too. Shan't be buying one though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72778
    These were actually pretty cool when they came out - I never liked the headstock (especially as the Gibson logo looks like it's just tacked on at any old angle) and I'm not a big fan of Floyds personally - but they were well-made and a proper, sensible attempt to make something more radical.

But I agree, 'reissuing' them seems like a strange thing to do when the originals don't seem to be particularly desirable or valuable.

And ironically, reissuing them is a much less radical idea than making them in the first place! I think the reissues actually look much nicer though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    I played a few of these first time around and they were terrible for the money they cost back then.

Sorry, but it is not worth anywhere near what Gibson are selling it for now.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72778
    stonevibe said:
    I played a few of these first time around and they were terrible for the money they cost back then.

Sorry, but it is not worth anywhere near what Gibson are selling it for now.
    Actually now you mention it, I do remember that I played a couple of them, and one was very good and the other one wasn't... how typical of Gibson!

And I agree they were overpriced both then and now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Doing a quick conversion, the $ price on the Gibson site makes these around Midtown money, so maybe a grand at the most. Now, if (it's a big if), they get the build right, and the neck profile etc, then this is a good alternative to a far eastern made superstrat I reckon. That's pretty much all you would get for similar money.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Hideous, just completely hideous. 
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    dindude said:
    Doing a quick conversion, the $ price on the Gibson site makes these around Midtown money, so maybe a grand at the most. Now, if (it's a big if), they get the build right, and the neck profile etc, then this is a good alternative to a far eastern made superstrat I reckon. That's pretty much all you would get for similar money.
    I'd agree with this.

No better or worse looking than yer average superstrat if you ask me.

I'm not sure they'll sell - for the same reason they didn't sell last time, and the same reason Fender's HM Strats didn't sell. On the other hand, it would just take one high profile user ...
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Not so much "timeless" as time warp. Lurid colours also make them look cheap IMHO.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5079
    'Timeless looks' my @rse. That look is firmly rooted in the 1980s, where in my humble opinion it should have firmly remained.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2751
    I really like them!    I would have liked one of the originals and these look a nice revamp - the red and orange ones look great.

I'm curious about the neck shape too - I would love it to have had a shorter scale length though but I can see why they've gone for a strat length to match the rest of the superstrats out there.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Another bit of silliness from HJ at Gibson.

For this to make any sense it needs to be massively cheaper.

A friend had one back in the day and although it wasn't bad it is not worth what they are asking by a long chalk.
    I think Gibson are really out of touch and it only seems to be getting worse.

I have no idea what they were thinking asking 2K plus for one of these. Honestly its in direct competition with ESP/Ibanez and they would both floor these atrocities.

I remember the Fender HM Strat (then the Talon) and then these things a few years later. Both the 'giants' got it wrong and now one of them thinks it can do it again in a market place that has moved on lightyears since the first time.

What the hell are they playing at?
    You can see why they bombed the first time around. Gibson release a superstrat style rock machine in '91 just as the world is waking up to the sound of Nevermind. 

Boat. 

Missed. 

Seriously though, the web price is $2,082. The midtown custom had a website price of $2,299, so it's not going to be a several K guitar, it's going to compete in the sub £1k bracket. Which if they build it right it should be able to do.
    As an alternative to a bore-off, all-made-in-the-same-factory-with-different-headstock-shapes superstrat, it has merit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I'd put my money into a Charvel or an Ibanez.

Both have a proven track record and you know you'll be able to get spares forever. 

This is another Gibson 'losing it' guitar.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2751
    dindude said:
    You can see why they bombed the first time around. Gibson release a superstrat style rock machine in '91 just as the world is waking up to the sound of Nevermind. 

Boat. 

Missed. 

Seriously though, the web price is $2,082. The midtown custom had a website price of $2,299, so it's not going to be a several K guitar, it's going to compete in the sub £1k bracket. Which if they build it right it should be able to do.
    As an alternative to a bore-off, all-made-in-the-same-factory-with-different-headstock-shapes superstrat, it has merit.
    Wisdom awarded -   the first time around, I quite liked them but I can see how they didn't fit the guitar fashions at the time.
    If it's priced around £1K then i'd say it competes pretty well with far eastern metal guitar that imho have become a bit generic...

I also think it looks better than the originals without the scratchplate.
    Ahem...

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33864
    Not for me- they are pretty ugly.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2382
    I like them. Admittedly I'm an 80s fanboy, but still, I'm guessing that might be who they're aimed at.

Whether I'd buy one over a more well-established superstrat company is another thing- but this is far from the craziest Gibson reissue/new model I've seen in recent times (IMO).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    edited October 2013
    Didn't the original ones come with Steinberger Trems & tuners , at least for a while anyway, I notice the one in the pic has standard Floyd/tuners
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I like them.  But I'd much rather have one of these:

Sadly, they're probably more expensive than the Gibson, but are a top quality USA made (I think?) shred machine...