Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What planet is Gibson on exactly?

What's Hot

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2382
    ^ Japan
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    DrBob said:
    Didn't the original ones come with Steinberger Trems & tuners , at least for a while anyway, I notice the one in the pic has standard Floyd/tuners
    Yes, they did :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33867
    I like them.  But I'd much rather have one of these:

Sadly, they're probably more expensive than the Gibson, but are a top quality USA made (I think?) shred machine...
    The Formula is made in Japan.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17716
    tFB Trader
    I remember those. 

It seems weird reissuing something no one liked in the first place. 
    Fender I think have got it absolutely right in acquiring a brand with a good reputation in the field (Charvel) and then producing some great guitars.

If you have a grand to spend on a widdle stick you could have one of these:

That doesn't make the Gibson seem all that appealing!
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    Exactly.

These Miii guitars had a bit of a loyal following, but only really a handful of fans worldwide. 

So why re-tool a section of a factory to make such a forgotten model? Doesn't make any financial sense at all. 

It'll be sold off cheap within a year of release (sound familiar) and it is just not something I ever thought I would see again. It was bad enough first time around.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    octatonic said:

Indeed it is, but that isn't a Formula :D

It's a Horizon III, also made in Japan.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72783
    miserneil said:
    Looks like a Nighthawk crossed with a Marauder.

I'm just waiting for the Corvus reissue...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Otherwise known as the tin-opener...
    Yep - "Flying Can-Opener" :).

Actually I think that one might be the early version called a Futura, looking at it more closely - gold hardware, separate bridge and tailpiece, multi-ply pickguard and possibly (though obviously very hard to be sure) glued-in neck.

The actual Corvuses were really poorly-made, with very cheap-looking single-ply pickguards, bolt-on necks with a tendency to crack at the neck pocket, and a one-piece Schaller bridge/tailpiece. They also came in nasty colors of badly-applied paint. They gave the impression the production line at Gibson had given up caring.

A shop in Edinburgh had three of them for years and years, unsold from new - in natural, orange and blue. I'm pretty sure the blue one turned up with Calvin Harris' live guitarist at T in the Park a few years ago - I'd be amazed if there was more than one in Scotland.

Given the low production values I'm sure they could knock up a reissue without too much trouble...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33867
    I remember those. 

It seems weird reissuing something no one liked in the first place. 
    Fender I think have got it absolutely right in acquiring a brand with a good reputation in the field (Charvel) and then producing some great guitars.

If you have a grand to spend on a widdle stick you could have one of these:

That doesn't make the Gibson seem all that appealing!
    Tasty.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8554
    miserneil said:
    Good lord, it's gonna take years to erase that image from my mind.
  • jimmydjimmyd Frets: 60
    I don't actually mind that b bender thingy all that much - I was a fan of the Taylor singlecut that came out a few years ago, and that to me looks very similar.

Surely the worst thing they've done recently is that plywood zoot suit thing, which was just mental...
    edited October 2013
    jimmyd said:
    I don't actually mind that b bender thingy all that much - I was a fan of the Taylor singlecut that came out a few years ago, and that to me looks very similar.

Surely the worst thing they've done recently is that plywood zoot suit thing, which was just mental...
    Thats the thing with Gibson you see.

So may F*** ups that its hard to keep up with them all.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bucket;49954" said:
    octatonic said:

Indeed it is, but that isn't a Formula :D

It's a Horizon III, also made in Japan.
    Yup, it is. Beasty guitar.

Esp only do USA custom shop. Must be bloody insanely expensive... For that money, I'd have to commission a UK build.
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    I've seen better looking syphillitic fannies.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27384
    How about a list of all the daft new things Gibson have done in the last few years...

Firebird X
    LP-X
    Dark Fire
    Dusk Tiger
    B-Bender LP Jr
    Reverse Flying V
    Reverse Explorer
    Holey V
    Holey Explorer
    ES-335 Studio
    NS-225 
    M-III reissue
    Moderne Reissue
    Midtown Kalamazoo
    The whole "Hendrix" debacle

er.. endless Joe Bonamassa LPs (Only joking! (Maybe...) but I'm sure I've missed some.

And the good:

CS-336/356
    ES-339/359
    Midtown (335 shape)
    Firebird Studio

er.. any more? Hmm :s

Yet they're still the company I'd pick if I could only use one brand of guitar. Bah!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16824
    edited October 2013
    ICBM said:
    miserneil said:
    Looks like a Nighthawk crossed with a Marauder.

I'm just waiting for the Corvus reissue...

I have a soft spot for corvii.   I just wish Gibson had made it headless, It always looks to me like that was the intention but they chickened out due to the cost of hardware.  I mentioned this over at PG a few times and even went as far as designing my own version.   I have never got around to building one but there are now a few headless corvus in existence

anyway, my headless, curvier more carved versions - Bass:

Guitar:

they would have tuners in the cutaway

it looses a bit of the "bird in flight" look the originals are supposed to have (if you really really squint)

WezV said:
    I have a soft spot for corvii.   I just wish Gibson had made it headless, It always looks to me like that was the intention but they chickened out due to the cost of hardware.  I mentioned this over at PG a few times and even went as far as designing my own version.   I have never got around to building one but there are now a few headless corvus in existence

anyway, my headless, curvier more carved versions

they would have tuners in the cutaway

it looses a bit of the "bird in flight" look the originals are supposed to have (if you really really squint)
    It's definitely got more of an air of Klingon battleaxe to it, that has.

:)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    The in-imitable Scott Grove review of the Corvus III - he likes them.  Good QC on finishing Gibson.  (only 10 mins)

What about a reissue of the LP Studio Lite MIII  (maybe up next for reissue ?)  (only 9 mins)