Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which mainstream amp/guit brand/type do you just don't 'get'?

What's Hot

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Gibson guitars, to chunky, and everything feels like it's in the wrong place.

Fender amps, no chunk when heavy palm-muting downpicked riffs.

Pro-co Rats. Never worked for me.

Fuzz pedals (general) despite having (possibly) the largest collection of dirt pedals on the forum, there's no specific fuzz pedal. Because I've never found one that worked for me. Closest is the Ibanez Smash box, but even then it's not a specific fuzz, more a fuzzy distortion.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Feel like a bandwagon jumpee, but..

Marshalls - Willing to admit my experience of them goes as far as Rich Bitch rehearsal rooms 20+ years ago, but my god they put me off for life. Horrible, toneless balls of noise. Yeurch.

Strats - As per @meltedbuzzbox - they look like they were an early prototype for something good-to-come that for some weird reason has hung in there. Pickups are woeful compared to a JM or Jag, trems instantly need upgrading to make them work properly (and I know that is what people say about the offsets but they are great when theirs are set-up right, the Strat ones are still shit) and well, Hank Marvin, Bontempi bollocks. I just see Clapton in Armani and what dentists used to play until they discovered...

PRS - Sound sterile, look silly and I just can't get with the idea that a guitar should be perfectly engineered and yet still say nothing to me. 

Name one good song that has a definitive guitar part that was played on some bird vagazzled lump of the rain forest?
    Just one??

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12694
    Marshalls.

Rickenbackers.

Anything pointy.

Anything with a Floyd or Kahler.

Sunburst guitars.

Anything with a flamed maple top.

Dentist-spec PRS guitars.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Guitars that hinder play above the 15th fret. I mean it's so easily remedied yet Fender and Gibson refuse to do anything about it on their most popular models.

What's the point of having 22 frets if you have to struggle to reach them?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Amps - Marshall, Blackstar

Guitars - PRS, Jackson

Pedals - Mooer, Pete Cornish :-P
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9780
    Amps with a hundred voices of which three or four are useful. Amps with an effects section that has been parameterised into submission. Amps with menus. Amps with USB sockets. I won't mention makes - they know who they are.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I forgot:

Blackstar amps

• HAL9000 said:
    Amps with a hundred voices of which three or four are useful. Amps with an effects section that has been parameterised into submission. Amps with menus. Amps with USB sockets. I won't mention makes - they know who they are.
    sadly you have covered nearly every manufacturer of amplification. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    True dat

• Phillips Widenecks.  Ever since I lost the tip of my thumb in one of the nut grooves it's put me off of them altogether.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    For me it's a Strat, it's ugly, thin and feeble, like it was designed to do everything but in the end it's ok at most things and really good at nothing. I just don't like them, often I don't even have to be the one playing them to dislike them.
  • The only thing that springs to mind is left handed guitars - my brain just can not make the necessary calculations to flip the image round so that it looks normal. They all just look so strange to me.
  • With you on the Marshall front, but I also don't get the love for Mesa Boogie either - maybe they suit a type of music that isn't for me, or maybe I haven't had the chance to crank one, but for me they are always a bit urgh.

Guitarwise, I hate the SG. It often looks really badly made, cheap and I am yet to play one I enjoy.

I also hate the Parker Fly. I never got it when it was released, I still don't.

Pedals, Digitech and Zoom multifx, just horrible.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    With you on the Marshall front, but I also don't get the love for Mesa Boogie either - maybe they suit a type of music that isn't for me, or maybe I haven't had the chance to crank one, but for me they are always a bit urgh.

Guitarwise, I hate the SG. It often looks really badly made, cheap and I am yet to play one I enjoy.

I also hate the Parker Fly. I never got it when it was released, I still don't.

Pedals, Digitech and Zoom multifx, just horrible.
    I did love the Guitarist mock-up of Hendrix with a Parker Fly when they came out in a 'what would he be playing now' effort, mainly though because I knew it would piss off Strat players.

Can't agree on Digitech pedals though - the PDS8000 Echo, 8 second delay was the best delay ever, and the Dod Classic Tube, man that is a good thing too.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23332
    Rickenbacker and Gretsch.

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3846
    PRS and Boogie for me.

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Guitar wise for me it's any electric guitar with a single pickup, they just don't look balanced.

Marshall Amps do nothing for me.
    We are all Chameleons...
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Ibanez Jem guitars do not float my boat. Anything with fluorescent pink or green pickups.

Strat single coil in the bridge other people can make them sound great but I've never found one I liked.

Any amps by line 6 which includes the DT range. I borrowed one for a week and it was ok at volume but really fizzy at house levels. I had a Flextone II xl for a while and it sounded ok in the house and pathetic with a drummer. Very poor.

Orange micro terror horrible little wasp in a can.

Hmm tin hat on for this one and straight into a trench. Any guitar finished in sunburst.....

Incoming ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72808
    Anything made by Suhr.

Beautifully made perfection, character-free and utterly un-rock'n'roll.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM;514362" said:
    Anything made by Suhr.

Beautifully made perfection, character-free and utterly un-rock'n'roll.
    Could not agree more....