Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which mainstream amp/guit brand/type do you just don't 'get'?

What's Hot

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited February 2015
    mrchi said:
    randomhandclaps;515319" said:
    mrchi said:

Really pathetic but, most Asian guitars( not Japanese their great) ,

Shit man, the second world war kind of went the wrong way for you didn't it?
    @randomhandclaps
    Why do you pick on me all the time,?? What have I done too you? Every comments I make its either a pic demeaning my beautiful self or "amusing" comments, If it didn't get me furiously turned on I would be deeply offended. :-D
    Aaaaaand, we're off.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 634
    Acoustics.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4065
    Jeremiah said:
    Acoustics.
    That sounded like you'd sneezed!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    edited February 2015
    JookyChap said:

PRS - Sound sterile, look silly and I just can't get with the idea that a guitar should be perfectly engineered and yet still say nothing to me. 

Nobody that has heard it has ever accused my PRS of sounding sterile and thats not just me being defensive i get alot of compliments about how it sounds at jam nights and rehearsals.

The hate for PRS and Marshall is a very interesting though as both have such wide and varied back catalogues, i know people who either don't like or don't get the core line PRSs but love the SE models and vice versa.
    I'm left wondering if when people say they don't like PRS if they are overlooking or forgetting the SE models and the acoustics which are all together different beasts.

I used to be on the anti marshall band wagon and then i played a YJM and since then i have discovered the joys of blues breakers, JTMs and JMPs again with such a large range is it really possible to just attack the brand?
    Say what you like about the JVMs and TSLs but the jcm 800s, JMP non master 100 watters and blues breakers all sound so radically different can you say that they are all crap?

I was going to say Ibanez but there non shredder guitars can actually be rather nice so i think the only brand i don't get id DBZ and that is purely based on the sheer utter fuglyness of them!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited February 2015
    mrchi said:
    randomhandclaps;515319" said:
    mrchi said:

Really pathetic but, most Asian guitars( not Japanese their great) ,

Shit man, the second world war kind of went the wrong way for you didn't it?
    @randomhandclaps
    Why do you pick on me all the time,?? What have I done too you? Every comments I make its either a pic demeaning my beautiful self or "amusing" comments, If it didn't get me furiously turned on I would be deeply offended. :-D
    @MrChi You love it!  Besides at least I save the really explicit and offensive shit for our PM exchanges!!  Which reminds me, that box you sent me, what was the brown smelly stuff inside?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    MattG said:Nobody that has heard it has ever accused my PRS of sounding sterile and thats not just me being defensive i get alot of compliments about how it sounds at jam nights and rehearsals.

The hate for PRS and Marshall is a very interesting though as both have such wide and varied back catalogues, i know people who either don't like or don't get the core line PRSs but love the SE models and vice versa.
    I'm left wondering if when people say they don't like PRS if they are overlooking or forgetting the SE models and the acoustics which are all together different beasts.

I used to be on the anti marshall band wagon and then i played a YJM and since then i have discovered the joys of blues breakers, JTMs and JMPs again with such a large range is it really possible to just attack the brand?
    Say what you like about the JVMs and TSLs but the jcm 800s, JMP non master 100 watters and blues breakers all sound so radically different can you say that they are all crap?

I was going to say Ibanez but there non shredder guitars can actually be rather nice so i think the only brand i don't get id DBZ and that is purely based on the sheer utter fuglyness of them!
    I think hate is a little strong - I don't think I really care about them enough for that. :)

Agreed on the PRS - I had a couple of SEs, a One which was OK once it had a better pickup in it, and a bespangled singlecut of some sort, which again lacked any kind of spark - so tbh neither lasted until morning. 

Despite this, I did want to give them a chance and although the full fat ones pretty much repulse me looks-wise, I forced myself to try a few in World Guitars iirc, and I just didn't get them. 

I should say though that the silk gloves they wanted me to wear may have had an impact.

As for Marshalls, I think I said my experience was in a handful of quite dodgy rehearsal rooms 20+ years ago, so I quite agree there may well be many that I would love, just haven't had any reason to try them.

p.s. I'm glad people love your PRS though, I bet you look pretty good on the dancefloor too ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    edited February 2015
    @randomhandclaps course I bloody do! Left field humour is the key to my happiness!

Oh that brown smelly stuff, it was just a small gift for you to remember our night of passion by,...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    hobbio;515385" said:
    Actually, whilst I'm here I pretty much loathe any Les Paul that isn't Gibson. Dunno why, and I don't get the same feelings for non-Fender strats or teles, or even non-Gibson (insert any non-LP Gibson model here).
    Because you've been brainwashed by the nothing else sounds like Gibson brigade and no longer have an opinion of your own ;)
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    edited February 2015
    Adam_MD said:
    hobbio;515385" said:
    Actually, whilst I'm here I pretty much loathe any Les Paul that isn't Gibson. Dunno why, and I don't get the same feelings for non-Fender strats or teles, or even non-Gibson (insert any non-LP Gibson model here).
    Because you've been brainwashed by the nothing else sounds like Gibson brigade and no longer have an opinion of your own ;)
    Lol. I think it's because when I was a teenager real Gibson Les Paul's were things of wonder. Neither I nor most of my mates had even seen one, let alone played one. I know the truth these days, and although I'd like one it's nowhere near the top of my list, but there's still that thing in my brain about the only real Les Paul is the one with Gibson on the headstock.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Christ, MattG, I see what you mean about those DBZ guitars. They're horrible, especially the Birds of Prey series.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    hobbio;515516" said:
    Adam_MD said:

hobbio;515385" said:Actually, whilst I'm here I pretty much loathe any Les Paul that isn't Gibson. Dunno why, and I don't get the same feelings for non-Fender strats or teles, or even non-Gibson (insert any non-LP Gibson model here).

Lol. I think it's because when I was a teenager real Gibson Les Paul's were things of wonder. Neither I nor most of my mates had even seen one, let alone played one. I know the truth these days, and although I'd like one it's nowhere near the top of my list, but there's still that thing in my brain about the only real Les Paul is the one with Gibson on the headstock.
    That's because you're right, the rest are love rocks, or Tremontis etc :D

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72922
    On that subject...

Tokai.

They're nice enough copies, but I've never played a single one that's the equal of a good Fender or Gibson, let alone better. I don't get the worship for them at all - now Fender especially and Gibson to an extent are making good cheaper ranges, I just feel they have outlived any real value they had.

I do very much understand the role they played in forcing the 'big two' to start making good guitars again at the time - there's no doubt that a decent '81 Tokai Strat is better than a typical '81 Fender Strat for example... but not so much now, they're just imitators.

I'd have a lot more respect for them if they made more things that weren't direct copies, like most of the big Japanese brands did in the 70s and 80s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

The Height of Tokai for me was the Aluminium Talbo, I played one and they were really special guitars. But for some reason they went back to pure immitation which is a shame.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72922
    mrchi said:

The Height of Tokai for me was the Aluminium Talbo, I played one and they were really special guitars.
    Didn't Tim Fariss play those at one time?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 31065
    ICBM said:
    On that subject...

Tokai.

They're nice enough copies, but I've never played a single one that's the equal of a good Fender or Gibson, let alone better. I don't get the worship for them at all - now Fender especially and Gibson to an extent are making good cheaper ranges, I just feel they have outlived any real value they had.

I do very much understand the role they played in forcing the 'big two' to start making good guitars again at the time - there's no doubt that a decent '81 Tokai Strat is better than a typical '81 Fender Strat for example... but not so much now, they're just imitators.

I'd have a lot more respect for them if they made more things that weren't direct copies, like most of the big Japanese brands did in the 70s and 80s.

I would honestly say, tonally, my old Tokai SEB LP special (admittedly Tok CS) was the equal of any Gibbo- save for the fact I didn't like the neck.

@randomhandclaps has a barely legal relationship with it now.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

@ICBM sure did talbos and teles almost exclusively if I recall!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3107
    edited February 2015

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3107
    edited February 2015
    mudslide73;515627" said:
    [quote="ICBM;515614"][quote=mrchi]
    The Height of Tokai for me was the Aluminium Talbo, I played one and they were really special guitars.
    Didn't Tim Fariss play those at one time?
    [/quote]

Yes.. he's a lover of Tokais in general. He mentioned Nile Rogers turning him onto them in a few interviews of the time.

[/quote]

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• ellwoodellwood Frets: 1116
    Brian May Guitars. Look like they were made from the left over bits of a fireplace and you need clogs to make them work. Ugh.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3515
    "How very few bands these days can't write a song "
    Double negative intentional or not?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom