Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which mainstream amp/guit brand/type do you just don't 'get'?

What's Hot

Comments

• llewllew Frets: 78
    Could never get on with a Les Paul.I can't get up the dusty end due to the heel.And there's too many damn switches and kknobs which are all in the wrong places For God's sake! Think I'm just too used to tele's and strats? Aways wanted to like boogies too but we never clicked.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    MatthewShreddery;514319" said:
    The only thing that springs to mind is left handed guitars - my brain just can not make the necessary calculations to flip the image round so that it looks normal. They all just look so strange to me.
    Oh well at least you're honest.

Some of us need to use em though so cut us a bit of slack eh?

:)

In a similar vein I'd love to join in the PRS bashing but getting hold of a lefty PRS to try is like finding rocking horse do-do.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6224
    Dean.. especially  those pointy monstrosities with that ridiculous winged headstock.
    B.C Rich are also responsible for crimes against sanity with some of their creations.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    @gassage i was with you on the Marshall thing, until i got my Super Bass...you should try it...

as far as amps go...i never got Vox and Fender amps

guitars...strats and super strats...dont understand the big deal. I've owned both and found them to be completely uninspiring and boring
  • All pointy stuff not even worth comment for me.

I've hated every Marshall amp I've ever used.

The two Rickenbackers I bought new felt like £400 guitars, not a grands worth. Not bad, but all tits and teeth with no real substance.

All gibsons, with the exception of a Firebird, which I'd still like to try at some point, however silly it may look.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5199
    I thought we were supposed to like guitars and related bobbins? ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Another thing I'll add is 8 and 9 string guitars - they look like parodies of a 6 string guitar that some kid has drawn.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gretsch.   I don't like the shape, size, feel or sound.  They have far too much bling.

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Much like everyone else...

- Anything with a AAA flamed quilted Berol-colouring-pen-stained top. Especially PRSeses. Suhrs and their fun-barren boutique strat ilk which are the guitar equivalent of a sign saying "careful now". 
     - Any guitars which, through no fault of their own, have been specifically designed for musical genres I have no emotional connection with and so are all pointy and covered in Floyd Roses and EMGs and things. 

That's about it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I missed out PRS guitars. I have a special dislike reserved for them, entirely based upon judgements I have made without ever picking one up. I don't even care what that says about me. They're garish and ugly.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    GavHaus;514442" said:
    I missed out PRS guitars. I have a special dislike reserved for them, entirely based upon judgements I have made without ever picking one up. I don't even care what that says about me. They're garish and ugly.
    Im the same never played one but hate them. Guitars should look cool, PRS's are not cool.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• Strats & PRS... I guess I'm neither middle aged, nor a lawyer/dentist/accountant!

(Runs away and hides)
  • Anything with a baseball bat neck. Which is a shame as there are some amazing guitars which I've passed on because I couldn't manage the neck. I wouldn't want to buy one and sand the neck down either because that opens up a whole other can of worms - when to stop shaping it, will I still like it, not to mention trashing the resale value.
  • JookyChap;514233" said:
    Feel like a bandwagon jumpee, but..

Marshalls - Willing to admit my experience of them goes as far as Rich Bitch rehearsal rooms 20+ years ago, but my god they put me off for life. Horrible, toneless balls of noise. Yeurch.

Strats - As per @meltedbuzzbox - they look like they were an early prototype for something good-to-come that for some weird reason has hung in there. Pickups are woeful compared to a JM or Jag, trems instantly need upgrading to make them work properly (and I know that is what people say about the offsets but they are great when theirs are set-up right, the Strat ones are still shit) and well, Hank Marvin, Bontempi bollocks. I just see Clapton in Armani and what dentists used to play until they discovered...

PRS - Sound sterile, look silly and I just can't get with the idea that a guitar should be perfectly engineered and yet still say nothing to me. 

Name one good song that has a definitive guitar part that was played on some bird vagazzled lump of the rain forest?Just one??
    Anything by David Grissom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    samldr1984;514462" said:
    [quote="JookyChap;514233"]Feel like a bandwagon jumpee, but..
    (
    Marshalls - Willing to admit my experience of them goes as far as Rich Bitch rehearsal rooms 20+ years ago, but my god they put me off for life. Horrible, toneless balls of noise. Yeurch.

Strats - As per @meltedbuzzbox - they look like they were an early prototype for something good-to-come that for some weird reason has hung in there. Pickups are woeful compared to a JM or Jag, trems instantly need upgrading to make them work properly (and I know that is what people say about the offsets but they are great when theirs are set-up right, the Strat ones are still shit) and well, Hank Marvin, Bontempi bollocks. I just see Clapton in Armani and what dentists used to play until they discovered...

PRS - Sound sterile, look silly and I just can't get with the idea that a guitar should be perfectly engineered and yet still say nothing to me. 

Name one good song that has a definitive guitar part that was played on some bird vagazzled lump of the rain forest?Just one??
    [/quote]

I'd add All Different Meola, John Mclauglin, Dave Navarro.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited February 2015
    PRS are some of the coolest guitars I've ever seen, I guess it's just a taste thing. And mine play and sound great, too! It's not a money thing, is it? Let's face it, they're expensive...

ICBM - I can see what you're saying about Suhr's - some I've played haven't floated my boat at all - in fact the only one I've loved has been the Pro Series. 

I never got Gibsons. They look amazing but to play? Not for me. Also never got on with Tele's - those metallic bridges make me shiver lol.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    'Super-strat' type guitars. Only muzak is ever played on them, they look shit and no one out of their teens should be seen with one. If you want humbuckers get a frigging Les Paul.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Evilmags said:
    samldr1984;514462" said:
    [/quote]

Hmm, think you are making my point. Navarro frinstance hasn't  done anything decent since he got a PRS - he sounded better on a Hello Kitty Squier...and doesn't he play an Ibby copy of his PRS these days?

Interesting you name players rather than songs though ;)

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7965
    edited February 2015
    Evilmags said:
    samldr1984;514462" said:
    [quote="JookyChap;514233"]Feel like a bandwagon jumpee, but..
    (

[/quote]

IIRC Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish album was recorded on a PRS and that sold 20 million+ copies worldwide. Like it or not it is a pretty iconic album from that era. 
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited February 2015
    Evilmags;514466" said:
    [quote="samldr1984;514462"][quote="JookyChap;514233"]Feel like a bandwagon jumpee, but..
    (

[/quote]

I'd add All Different Meola, John Mclauglin, Dave Navarro. [/quote]

Im not exactly an Alter Bridge fan but I need to add Blackbird to that list. Absolutely epic track.