Creating guitar storage in the man cave

What's Hot

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited February 2015
    It's also been agreed that I will get a man cave specifically for guitars (and a little work!) as they take up so much space!
    So I'll be watching this thread with great interest!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12681
    Make sure whatever foam you use (or covering) doesn't react with your paint finishes. Pipe lagging can react with some finishes - ask me how I know...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2468
    UnclePsychosis;531873" said:
    Looks nice :)

My only thought is that dimmer switches in a guitar room is a brave an interesting move!! 
    As Sam says, dimmer switches may not be the best idea, as they tend to add a LOT of hum through amplifiers.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • @impmann - how do you know?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So would everyone who's come on this thread with helpful advice about dimmer switches and amps please bugger off. Sensible input like that ruins my plans :-)

In all seriousness, thanks for the heads up. I might be changing that switch!

@Felineguitars - thanks Jonathan. Sounds like it could be just what I needed, (said in 'The Cars' stylee)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12681
    I just do mate... its how I roll. :D
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Hubobulos I've got a dimmer switches in my flat, it makes my Kay Les Paul copy hum like an angry bee, but doesn't seem to effect my Fender Tele at all. 

The room looks great, colour me jealous.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11637
    tFB Trader
    Dimmer switches and rheostats are a big source of noise interference
    Same goes for low voltage lighting with all the extra transformers etc
    Lighting in studios does need a lot of thinking through.

I'll bugger off with that kind of talk though.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• @FelineGuitars - I hadn't considered Optimus Prime and his effect on noise interference. Better ask Megan Fox what she thinks.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2371
    ^ LOL

Nice work so far. :)
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I did a little more on the guitar storage today. First thing was to create the lower level since this would dictate a few other things that come later.

The second level is pretty much a copy of the upper one. First step was to put in the two cross struts that the bodies will rest on, making sure that there would be space to get the guitars in any out:

imageimage
    Its quite tight when seen like this, but the guitars will be put in and taken out at an angel, so they fit fine.

Then, the 3rd cross strut went in for the neck:

• I'd stack my amp heads in between them two shelves ..... And reinforce it lol
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    edited March 2015
    The big question has always been what to put on the front of the storage - doors or another idea. I decided that doors would be too difficult to get straight and the correct width, given the unevenness of the walls, so something else needed to work that would be easier, but still look good.

Having just put up a roller blind in the soon-to-be nursery room, it crossed my mind that this could also work here. The gap is 99cm wide, but just having a blind would not look particular 'finished' to me and the straight edges of the blind would expose the imperfections in the wall. So I chose to have batons running down both sides, which will solve a number of problems - they give me vertical edges, they allow me to work around the picture rail and coving and they could also act as guides for the blind to go behind.

I didn't need the spaces/angles for the picture rail and coving to be perfect since I can use wood filler when it comes to the painting. I started with rough outlines.........

imageimage

....and the it was just a case of spending quite a lot of time chamfering away so that the baton was flush to the wall. What I'll do next is to put some small baton pieces in the wall at about 3 or 4 places to attach this to and ensure that its perfectly vertical when drilling the holes for the screws. I'm not the most dexterous person and DIY isn't a particular strength, so I've got to say that I'm quite happy how this came out. I've just got to repeat it all for the other side!!

imageimage
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    This is looking really good. Some good DIY skills happening there.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    What are you planning to use to prevent the guitars from banging together and damaging the finish/snapping the headstock?  You have some expensive guitars, one leaning against the chimney breast is ok but a second might cause problems......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Hey @Rocker - I'm doing two things:

1) the mini batons that are in the second post I made on page 1 are going to be used to separate the bodies

2) the dowling surrounded by foam will be used to guide the necks

So each guitar will effectively stand upright with the bodies and necks held in place.

Not sure if I've described that very well but once ive chatted to Jonathan @Felineguitars about his offer of material to cover the wood, all this stuff will come next :-)
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Looking great so far!       Are you going to have some kind of foot stool to help reach up and grab the higher tier guitars?   I'm very clumsy and can predict and expensive accident if that was my house.
    @John_P - I've been trying it with no steps etc and it's manageable, but like you, I can see accidents happening if I'm not careful. I've got to get a chair/stool for playing on, so might see what I can buy that works for accessing the top level too
  • It looks like it's really coming together. I need to sort out my music room. Guitars take up such a lot of floor space. I used to have them on the wall in my previous house, however the new one I bought is a modern build so the internal walls need to be dealt with more carefully. I'll probably need to install a slat board along the top of one wall with one below (or sell some guitars).

I wish I had a little nook like yours. It seems perfect.
  • Be really careful what foam you use with this, you don;t want your guitar finish being melted!! :)