Creating guitar storage in the man cave

What's Hot

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    so disappointed this won't be finished for Christmas....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    edited December 2015
    BigMonka said:
    Looking good @hubobulous are you using magnets to keep the bottom panel in place? And a huge padlock on the door to keep your littlun out once they start crawling/walking/destroying!
    Hey thanks. I bought some magnetic tape for that very purpose, but the panel fits so snugly that it holds itself in place. I might shave a bit of wood off the panel and still use the magnetic tape, but I'll see how it all fits once I've painted it.

@57deluxe - yeah, I'm with you on that. Would have been great to have this complete, if for nothing else than a retreat from the in laws on Christmas Day ;-)
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I still love this thread, after all this time
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    With the added bonus of DaLefty on page 4 and his ginger girlfriend
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @capo4th - I miss his insight into dancing poles. Too late now for me to add one in, but the opportunity was there if only he'd been more dedicated to the cause!!
  • @joeyowen - thanks for that. Its now onto building a desk and a storage area for DVDs, tools and strings so quite a lot yet to build and report on!!
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    hubobulous;906585" said:
    @capo4th - I miss his insight into dancing poles. Too late now for me to add one in, but the opportunity was there if only he'd been more dedicated to the cause!!
    Or if he'd been a real person

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Right, so here's the work that I've done on the other rack. The design is pretty much the same as the first one, but with just one level of guitar storage to allow for the desk underneath.

Starting with the cross struts, I needed to be sure that there was enough space for the desk and eventual PC monitor. The clearing of the corner also identified a shit-tonne of damp. Rather know that now than later...!!

image  image

I then had to put in the level batons for the desk:
    image  image

The area beneath the the body struts seemed to be a little wasted, so I decided to put a piece of wood across to create a shelf. I knew that I wanted to put the DVDs on a shelf lower down, but this seemed to make sense, that if for nothing else, it gave me somewhere to put the straps for the guitars.

Then the batons went in for the lower shelf.

edited February 2016
    I knew I wanted to have some containers for strings, plectrums, tools and stuff as well as the DVDs and didn't want any of the items on the shelf sliding to the back, so mapped out where it would all go on the shelf with a view to using small batons to keep things in place:

I screwed this in place to make sure that everything fit - which obviously it bloody well didn't by about 3mm, so had to reposition the batons on the wall to give the gap for the DVDs a little more height. Once sorted, it looked like this along with the desk in place:

Then, @Felineguitars kindly sourced me some more of the felt material, so I wrapped the cross struts and neck/body dividers and cut the side batons. Once this was all screwed back in place, I needed to build the blind panel. Finally, it was all assembled and the acoustic foam was glued to the walls;
    image  image

The final thing was to add a small piece of dowling on the cross bar to hold the blind in place when pulled down. And that's that for the storage. Next is to clear the crap out of the room and start thinking about playing some guitar. There will be more work with guitar hangers, wood filling, painting, etc, so that will be added to this thread as and when the next work is done.

So looking back, this all began a year ago as I was spending evenings wondering when the bump would materialise into a baby girl. Time flies, but its been a great project - with more to come - but I've learned a bucket load about my own skills and ideas, and I'm glad I've almost done it before my daughter hits her first birthday. Hopefully now I can compose a song for her :-)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Really great, I'm looking at doing similar in my basement alcove. I'd like to make have the guitars angled so they are slight off completely side on, and a pull out "setup" table under the rack.

The material you cover the battons with seems to be fairly difficult to know if the one you're buying is going to effect nitro finishes though. Any advice?
  • Hey @underdog - the material I used came with guitar cases as packing material as far as I know. I asked Jonathan @Felineguitars if it affected Nitro and it doesn't. Don't think any of mine are nitro sprayed anyway, but you never know for the future.

So not much help I'm afraid. Others here might be able to pitch in regarding safe materials to use.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11637
    tFB Trader
    Hey @underdog - the material I used came with guitar cases as packing material as far as I know. I asked Jonathan @Felineguitars if it affected Nitro and it doesn't. Don't think any of mine are nitro sprayed anyway, but you never know for the future.

So not much help I'm afraid. Others here might be able to pitch in regarding safe materials to use.
    It is actually the fabric that Hiscox use to line their cases and it's assured to be ok for Nitro
    They use left over scraps to pack out the cases they ship in the cartons, and by chance we had some pieces large enough to let @hubobulous use or this project. The other bonus is that the fabric is backed with a polythene liner that stops glue seeping through.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

FelineGuitars;984067" said:
    hubobulous said:

Hey @underdog - the material I used came with guitar cases as packing material as far as I know. I asked Jonathan @Felineguitars if it affected Nitro and it doesn't. Don't think any of mine are nitro sprayed anyway, but you never know for the future.

It is actually the fabric that Hiscox use to line their cases and it's assured to be ok for NitroThey use left over scraps to pack out the cases they ship in the cartons, and by chance we had some pieces large enough to let @hubobulous use or this project. The other bonus is that the fabric is backed with a polythene liner that stops glue seeping through.
    Don't suppose there's anywhere I can purchase it that you know of mate?

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11637
    edited February 2016 tFB Trader
    Don't know - you could try Hiscox but it's not something they usually sell.
    We were just using scraps - albeit we got lucky with the size of the offcuts we had.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• But... But... But what about the acoustics?! Back to the drawing board for you me laddo.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Strangefan - they will be on either floor or wall stands/hangers with their amp on a stand. Fear not
  • Good man the proper guitars are clearly not being stored away :D :D : D
    edited May 2016
    Both of the storage areas are now finished, the walls are painted and the picture of Satriani is up.

I commissioned the artwork having seen an exhibition at a local gallery. Not normally a thing I would do, but I'd wanted to have some sort of picture in the man cave depicting my influence(s) and it was either Satch, Mark Knopfler or Gary Moore. I asked for the guitar in the picture to represent one that Satriani auctioned for his friend Cliff Cultreri. He adorned it with his personal artwork and was the precursor to the recent JS25ART series:

The artist who created the picture, Ben Riley, (http://benrileyart.com/), forms dust by snapping up old records and putting them into a coffee grinder. He then uses this, along with other pieces of vinyl to create the artwork. The additional personal touch was the white labelled single to the right of his head which is 'Always with Me, Always with You', (which is what the artwork was named). I learned this song, along with a 3 minute additional solo like his live version and played it with the band at our wedding for my wife. After 2 false starts I eventually played through the nerves and finished, so this is also a great reminder of that experience.
    The next step is to create some storage/shelving for the amps and rack gear that I have. I think then I'll be able to plug everything in and contemplate buying a new PC at some point.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @hubobulous are your walls & floor really curved, or is it just your lens?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself