Has the Bluguitar Amp 1 died before it got going? Nah!

What's Hot
15678911»

Comments

• MadNadMadNad Frets: 0
    Does anyone use an external midi controller through midi1 to control volume and power soak?
    I can use midi-learn to change channels, boost and reverb, but I can't get the CC commands to work.
    Can anyone help pls?
    As for the Amp, it's pretty good. The clean sound is great and works well for a pedalboard. I don't like the vintage sound at all which is too fuzzy and synthetic, but the other distorsion channel are ok. I still prefer puttin my distorsion pedals in front.
    The reverb is very weak, so i still use my reverb pedal.
    I haven't had a gig with it yet. Will update when I do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MadNad said:
    Does anyone use an external midi controller through midi1 to control volume and power soak?
    I can use midi-learn to change channels, boost and reverb, but I can't get the CC commands to work.
    Can anyone help pls?
    As for the Amp, it's pretty good. The clean sound is great and works well for a pedalboard. I don't like the vintage sound at all which is too fuzzy and synthetic, but the other distorsion channel are ok. I still prefer puttin my distorsion pedals in front.
    The reverb is very weak, so i still use my reverb pedal.
    I haven't had a gig with it yet. Will update when I do.
    Me. 

I've got the later "MIDI Learn" version of AMP1, too. I've had some communication with Bluguitar about MIDI and think I now understand what does and doesn't work. There were times where I thought I was teaching them, mind... 

Using MIDI Learn to recall your channel/reverb/boost combination works absolutely fine - as you have already found. 

Using Control Change commands to control the Power Soak, 2nd Volume and Gain also work fine. HOWEVER, if you use a CC command to set something at, say 50%, and then subsequently issue a PC command to change channels, that CC value is reset to 127 and lost. You'll need to also issue a CC command after the PC command to keep things at the same volume settings. Bluguitar are adamant that this is just how MIDI works and won't accept it as a bug. I don't know enough about MIDI standards to be able to argue further. My MIDI controller, FYI, is just an M-Audio keyboard that sends MIDI commands via the MIDI1 cable. I don't have an FCB or anything like that. 

There is some older AMP1 documentation flying around the Internet that suggests you can use specific PC commands to toggle specific functions on or off. For example, putting the effects loop into your signal path or not. Those PC commands don't work. I think it only ever applied to the first version of MIDI support in the first AMP1s, which didn't have MIDI Learn and needed you to send pre-defined PC commands for everything. The problem for the current AMP1 (as I've deduced, anyway) is that you need to be able to set the amp to a particular state (such as Effects Loop off) before you can get it to learn what PC command makes it put itself into that state next time. Without a REMOTE1, you can't do it, because the controls for that aren't on the amp, they're on the REMOTE1. You can't have REMOTE1 and MIDI1 connected at the same time, so... 

For live use I was going to just set up some presets using a standard 2-button footswitch and the AMP1 switches. I expect you've already tried that. That worked really well, but then I stumbled across and bought a REMOTE1 via eBay for half price and I'm rather taken by it now I have it. I was going to spend similar money for a MIDI Mouse. Everything works as described. I'd recommend them now I've got one. However, like many pedal switchers, its ability to send MIDI to other MIDI devices is limited. Preset 1 sends PC#1 on all channels, preset 2 sends PC#2, etc. It's not programmable in the way something more expensive might be. 

Still a fan. 

I think there are enough of us out there with AMP1s who might benefit from a hints & tips thread just for us, so I'm going to start one in a minute. It's not something Bluguitar (understandably) seem to have the bandwidth for. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Post a link please, @TheBigDipper ;
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • It's in the Amps section, "Bluguitar AMP1 Hints & Tips". 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MadNadMadNad Frets: 0
    Excellent idea. We can continue the midi discussion on the new thread.
    Regarding midi PC commands, I've succeeded to make the midi learn work. However, when I program a CC command, it doesn't work.
    I've tried sending a CC alone or after a PC or before a PC and it just doesn't do anything. I must be doing somethinmg wrong. I send the following sequence for master volume: CC, channel 01, parameter 07 and value 64 (for 50%).

Just out of curiosity, is your midi1 cable a mono or stereo jack?
  • Seems like a cool setup but way out of my reach. I guess I'll have to stick wifh my heavy amps:)
  • andyp4andyp4 Frets: 0
    If anyone with a midi1 adapter out there could put a multimeter over the terminals and help me draw up a schematic that would be fantastic. I am interested to play around with the midi soak but dont want to fork out $99 for a tiny TS jack to 5 Pin DIN cable.
    cheers, :)
  • andyp4 said:
    If anyone with a midi1 adapter out there could put a multimeter over the terminals and help me draw up a schematic that would be fantastic. I am interested to play around with the midi soak but dont want to fork out $99 for a tiny TS jack to 5 Pin DIN cable.
    cheers, :)
    I'm guessing, but MIDI is 5V pulses (a stream of 1s and 0s), not an analogue constantly varying signal, surely? If you measure your output pins from a MIDI out then you'd be able to read which pins have voltage pulses when you send a MDI signal from your controller and work it out from there yourself, perhaps? 

I don't think the MIDI1 connector can be used for MIDI out, just MIDI in. 
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I get the impression that it's more than just a 5pin DIN to 1/4 inch plug. Having said that if it is just that, connect pins 4&5 to the jack. I would guess that 4 goes to the tip.