Fuzz pedals!!

What's Hot
Everybody uses them, everyone has an opinion on them so lets find out what the most popular ones are that are out on the market!!
Im quite partial to the El Rey Mystic myself

Post what you use and what kind of music you play! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Everybody uses them,

Do they?

If you expand to overdrive and distortion then maybe......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Sounds_Great_MusicSounds_Great_Music Frets: 68
    edited March 2015
    mike_l ok.... some people use them :) 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Yeah I'm just being a picky f'ker

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    MK2 Fulltone 69 Fuzz

I've got a red one and if anyone wants to trade the shell for their pink/metallic shell we can talk :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Black Arts Toneworks all of 'em
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Velvet Fuzz, courtesy of Brian Wampler.

Like @mike_l said: "If you expand to overdrive and distortion then maybe..." and this pedal crosses those lines IMO.
    Check Harry Maes demo video to see it's more than a traditional fuzz.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    edited March 2015
    Generally I can't get on with them, but recently that changed:

The Skreddy lunar module is fantastic, just really really smooth lead tone and to get a Gilmour sound in a box, it's right up there.

Otherwise I'd love to try the Empress Yellow fuzz and that Fairfield four eye thing that @GavHaus is selling looks insane.

Also got a lot of love for the Bass big muff pie, sounds great on both guitar and bass :)

I tend to use fuzz for an alternative lead sound, normally into a dirty amp, sometimes before an od too.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7200
    edited March 2015
    yeah, the four eyes is very good. I absolutely love the Unpleasant Surprise too - probably my favourite Fuzz I've had. Yellow Empress looks tremendous also.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 672
    Was never really a fan, but loving the Paul Trombetta I got recently!
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Lew said:
    Black Arts Toneworks all of 'em
    ^ this...i wasnt aware there were any other fuzz pedals....
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    @juansolo fill your boots on this subject.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27219
    I don't like fuzz and I can't work it, so I only have 3 ;)

Fuzz Factory
    Fuzz Face
    Big Muff (ram's head)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3638
    Big Muff Pi.

I like retro type stuff and a lot of my guitar faves have used them over time.
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    edited March 2015
    Green muff is my favourite I've had others but I always come back to it, although I suppose it's almost as much a distortion as a fuzz. I'd like some thing fuzz face-esque as well though.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I'm wondering the same thing.

Is the EHX Graphic Fuzz any good ?
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Well, @Richardhomer is really the one to ask....... :D
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited March 2015
    shaunm said:

Oh hells bells. I've made more fuzzes than hot dinners... I tend to avoid anything germanium because they're such a massive pain in the arse as to how variable they all are. Not just in tone from each other, but from day to day. So everything below is silicon.

Of note:

- '76 Coloursound Jumbo Tonebender - My current favourite fuzz (and I've been very specific about which one as I've heard others that are decidedly meh). Somewhere between the girth of a muff and the raspiness of a tonebender with none of the drawbacks (it's based on 2/3 of a muff's topology). I utterly adore it.

- Muff derivatives - So, so many of them. Big fan of the '71 Triangle. Otherwise I obviously prefer my own creations based around this circuit as they're tuned to what I like (Ultrastoner/TSM680/DGM3).

- Mid-Fi Demo Tape Fuzz - Spectacular fuzz that's not actually a copy of anything. Has that edge of chaos about it, but just sounds so damned good.

- Frantone Peach Fuzz - Another modernish fuzz that just has something about it that sets it apart from everything else out there.

- Mosrite Silicon Fuzzrite - Nice thick stonery toanz .

- Roger Mayer Spitfire - This is borderline a distortion with fuzzy tendencies. A fuzzstortion if you like. Epic thing.

- Ibanez Standard Fuzz - This bad boy really divides opinion. Me and Matt @musteatbrain love it. Everyone else really doesn't. Complete scooped octavey chaos on one setting. More fullsome chaos on the other. Basically sounds like angry velcro.

- Roland BeeBaa - Oh I do like this, you can dial in a lot of different tones into it. Fuzz Face-a-like is doable. So is a massively hard, scooped rip your face of sort off tone. Capable of violence.

Just a few of my favourite things...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9608
    Velvet Fuzz, courtesy of Brian Wampler.

Like @mike_l said: "If you expand to overdrive and distortion then maybe..." and this pedal crosses those lines IMO.
    Check Harry Maes demo video to see it's more than a traditional fuzz.
    I'm a MASSIVE Paul Trombetta Design fan, but I've recently bought a used Velvet and it is an astonishing pedal. Very very powerful but also does that low gain/ volume clean up well (which is essential in any fuzz for me personally...)
  • juansolo;571985" said:
    shaunm said:

Oh hells bells. I've made more fuzzes than hot dinners... I tend to avoid anything germanium because they're such a massive pain in the arse as to how variable they all are. Not just in tone from each other, but from day to day. So everything below is silicon.

Of note:

- '76 Coloursound Jumbo Tonebender - My current favourite fuzz (and I've been very specific about which one as I've heard others that are decidedly meh). Somewhere between the girth of a muff and the raspiness of a tonebender with none of the drawbacks (it's based on 2/3 of a muff's topology). I utterly adore it.

- Muff derivatives - So, so many of them. Big fan of the '71 Triangle. Otherwise I obviously prefer my own creations based around this circuit as they're tuned to what I like (Ultrastoner/TSM680/DGM3).

- Mid-Fi Demo Tape Fuzz - Spectacular fuzz that's not actually a copy of anything. Has that edge of chaos about it, but just sounds so damned good.

- Frantone Peach Fuzz - Another modernish fuzz that just has something about it that sets it apart from everything else out there.

- Mosrite Silicon Fuzzrite - Nice thick stonery toanz .

- Roger Mayer Spitfire - This is borderline a distortion with fuzzy tendencies. A fuzzstortion if you like. Epic thing.

- Ibanez Standard Fuzz - This bad boy really divides opinion. Me and Matt @musteatbrain love it. Everyone else really doesn't. Complete scooped octavey chaos on one setting. More fullsome chaos on the other. Basically sounds like angry velcro.

- Roland BeeBaa - Oh I do like this, you can dial in a lot of different tones into it. Fuzz Face-a-like is doable. So is a massively hard, scooped rip your face of sort off tone. Capable of violence.

Just a few of my favourite things...
    I'd love to try one of your own fuzz creations sometime, @juansolo. Anything that'll sound great with a strat is something I'm interested in.

Should you have anything crop up, don't hesitate to send me a message :)

Agreed on the frantone peach fuzz (tried one in a shop, withdrew cash for it, gone when I got back. Not seen one since :( ) and the bee baa. Really want to try an Ibanez standard.

I love the axis fuzz. It's a silicon fuzz face that's so, so right. Cleans up to crystal clean then goes into full fuzz face saturation.

Another one I love the sound of, though haven't tried, is the boss fz-2. The fz-3 is supposed to be very good, too.

Lastly, the zoom ultra fuzz looks like fun. Again, not tried it...
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited March 2015
    I had the Ultra Fuzz years and years and years ago. It was ok but it gets far too much praise from what my memory of it is (which could mean its amazing).