Evenlode Guitars.

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    octatonic said:
    Back joined:

glad to see you found a sensible use for those weights ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    Ha- I had to buy those ones in.

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6148
    tFB Trader
    I'm well chuffed to follow this thread, loving the workshop,too!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    ThorpyFX said:
    Thanks Thorpy.
    octatonic said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    Thanks Thorpy.
    very jealous of your house and workshop - you are living the dream
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi 
    I have really enjoyed following this thread and wish you all the best, the new workshop looks great. 

I also like that you have decided from the off to build in batches as so often solo luthiers are only about one off's.
    Which to me is very risky as you can never be sure of what yours will be and their are many great wood workers who make extraordinary guitars that sound like planks. 

Thanks Jez.
    Hi 
    I have really enjoyed following this thread and wish you all the best, the new workshop looks great. 

I also like that you have decided from the off to build in batches as so often solo luthiers are only about one off's.
    Which to me is very risky as you can never be sure of what yours will be and their are many great wood workers who make extraordinary guitars that sound like planks. 

exactly, I've never had the courage to customer order a one-off acoustic - how would I know I'd like it?
    Hi 

exactly, I've never had the courage to customer order a one-off acoustic - how would I know I'd like it?
    This is why I am building in batches- building instruments that are broadly similar but have differences in some of the woods are more likely to find a home somewhere.
    Also, if I wait for orders before I build anything I could be waiting for a while.

Finally, it simplifies the build process- it is faster to build 5 necks, then 5 bodies, then join them etc, than it is to build guitars singly but sequentially.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    Subscribed to this thread.........would love to see these first few take shape. 000's are terribly attractive guitars and occupy a lovely band of tones generally. What type of necks are you sizing them as? Soft V by any chance?

Well done on your enterprise so far James and getting out into t'country.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    Been ages since I updated because I've had stuff to sort in the house- garden was severely neglected and I've been ripping ivy roots out of drains and generally not building guitars.

Managed to do a bit of sorting today and do the back strip.
    Hoping to brace the back up tomorrow.
    I have a lot of sharpening that I need to do as well.

edited March 2016
    Update:

I've spend the last couple of weeks doing non-making stuff but still in the workshop- making various jigs, doing some maintenance on the machinery, some processing of wood, some deflections tests.

I'm trying to be scientific about my wood choices and build up a bit of knowledge about how stiffness/elasticity is related to tone- if indeed it is.

I'm doing this but taking some measurements and calculating the Young's Modulus of my soundboards (and other woods).
    I won't go into the specifics of it (because I'm still working through it) but it is pretty dry and I've spent a couple of days scratching my head and trying different ways to work through this.

I have done a bit of building- most of the brace materials have been processed and ready to glue on the Mahogany 000.
    I am doing the rosette later this week.
    Here I am hard at work:

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    octatonic said:
    Update:

I've spend the last couple of weeks doing non-making stuff but still in the workshop- making various jigs, doing some maintenance on the machinery, some processing of wood, some deflections tests.

I'm trying to be scientific about my wood choices and build up a bit of knowledge about how stiffness/elasticity is related to tone- if indeed it is.

I'm doing this but taking some measurements and calculating the Young's Modulus of my soundboards (and other woods).
    I won't go into the specifics of it (because I'm still working through it) but it is pretty dry and I've spent a couple of days scratching my head and trying different ways to work through this.

I have done a bit of building- most of the brace materials have been processed and ready to glue on the Mahogany 000.
    Here I am hard at work:

Please tell me your bulldog took this photo.  That would warm my dog-loving cockles.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

Er.. yes, she did.
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    octatonic said:
    Update:

Here I am hard at work:

Not nearly enough dust!
    I vacuum. A lot.
    If you look around, you may find a University that wants to run research projects on vibration analysis

e.g.

In the past, Unis used to have to team up with non-unis (companies, makers) to get research grants. Quite a few companies used this as a gravy train, either to get money for nothing, or to finance their genuine research.

I worked on 2 EU-funded projects like this, and one UK-funded one
    Cheers, that is an interesting idea.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28247
    octatonic said:

I read an interesting paper a while back that made convincing arguments for the relationship between stiffness and the speed of sound through the material revealing much about the tonal characteristics. I'll see if I can find the reference.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."