The Bailey BYOG opening offer closes TODAY

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27035
    @TTony, before I get my hopes up that it may solve some fundamental problems that have kept me from doing this in the past, I have to ask...is this course going to account for those of us who can't even saw a piece of wood in a straight line?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27858
    Will do @miserneil.

I've seen the course, and it *is* brilliant.  

Mark describes it as he's broken down the process of making a guitar into a series of small, explained tasks.  He then explains and demonstrates each task, so that you can easily follow what he does and replicate it.  

Complete each task, in the order that Mark does them, and you end up with your first guitar.

Do it properly - measure it right, cut it right, drill it right, glue it right (all that needs is a little attention and care) - and it's going to be a pretty good guitar too.

:)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    @TTony, before I get my hopes up that it may solve some fundamental problems that have kept me from doing this in the past, I have to ask...is this course going to account for those of us who can't even saw a piece of wood in a straight line?

TTony said:
    Do it properly - measure it right, cut it right, drill it right, glue it right (all that needs is a little attention and care) - and it's going to be a pretty good guitar too.
    I can't help feeling that's a bit of a politician's answer right there ;)
    <space for hire>
    LOLz.

You might not believe this, but ...

Before I did my first Bailey course - albeit in the workshop - I seriously couldn't saw a piece of wood in half without something going wrong.  It usually involved "language", generally involved flying tools and pieces of wood, and sometimes involved blood.  I was using the wrong tools, I had no appreciation of technique, and zero confidence/belief in being able to do it.

It took me about 12 months to jump in and commit to doing the course, because I really didn't believe that I could do it.  

Turns out that I could!

You'll use jigs & patterns to ensure that you cut stuff correctly.  You'll even learn how to make those jigs and patterns.  You'll see which tools to use where and why.   OK, so you'll not have Mark looking over your shoulder constantly, stopping you making mistakes or fixing those that do get made, so it might take a couple of attempts to do some of the tasks and a bit of head scratching (or some posts here) to work out how to fix stuff that goes wrong.

But for the price that it's going to be offered for, you'd be mad not to at least sign up for the course, watch it, watch it again, get your tools together, and - when you're ready - to give it a go.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16915
    not talking about the course here, but when i started building guitars i had never done any proper woodwork and had no-one to show me how to use the proper tools.   My only failing grade in my GCSE's was woodwork :)

I read everything I could and taught myself.  I purchased lots of books and found lots of stuff online.  If this course had been available back then I would have not hesitated to purchase it.

I made a few cockup's, but ended up with working guitars and they got better each time, i tended to reuse hardware fromt he first few builds on the next few.  I learned by building a lot of guitars and making a few less errors each time.  I know others get good guitars on the first attempt by practicing and planning each step but i was a bit more impatient than that.  I am better at this now and often take on other projects with transferable skills I need to learn

My tips for a successful first guitar would be to go for something simple and buy hardware you can easily reuse on a variety of builds.  You probably won't just build one so their is no need to go for your ideal guitar on the first attempt

there are also shortcuts you can take.   You can buy body blanks which are joined and fully prepped so only need cutting out and routing.  you can buy fretboards already slotted and radiused.  it will cost you more for those prepped parts, and reduce your options, but that's not a crime

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Most....interesting....

I guess the only question left to answer is, "What on earth would I build?", on the basis that I already have my three perfect guitars.

Still, that's at least an answerable question, with "Probably a Strat or a Tele". I fancy a Gilmour-alike Strat, actually...
    <space for hire>
    I should have mentioned ...

Anyone signing up for the Build course will also get access to the Design Your Own Guitar course (the forerunner to the Build course, for obvious reasons!).

As @WezV suggests, your first guitar might not be a "keeper", so I'd use the process to learn, to trial & error, and to refine your skills.  The second one will be better, the third one will be better still.  You get on-going access to the course, so you can do it time and time again as many times as you like.

Strats will generally involve trems, which are a little bit tricksier than a fixed bridge.
    Ah, yes - if I was going to make a Strat-alike, it wouldn't have a trem (mostly because I don't actually like the things, and much prefer hardtails).
    <space for hire>
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I'm very interested in this. All of the modding I've done in the last 5 years (thanks to the helpful people from here and MR) has only wet my appetite to try more. Like @TTony cutting wood usually involves about 3 times wood as I should need (mistakes) and lots of swearing.
    I've just sorted some more of the details with Mark.

The special opening offer will be available through theFB and *only* through theFB to fully paid-up members of theFB (so if you're reading this as a browse-by right now, get signed up!).  

The special opening offer will be available for 2 weeks only.

There will not be a better offer anywhere else for this course.

There are 72 video lessons in the Build course, and a further 32 in the Design course.  About 13 hours (I'm told) of step-by-step tuition that you can rewind and repeat as many times as you choose.

The course, and our very special theFB offer, will be launched next Saturday - 13th June

Mark will host a live streamcast to launch the show and do some Q&As.

edited June 2015

And a link to Mark's blog too - there will probably be some free previews of the course accessible from links in the blog, so keep a watch on it.

As part of the launch, Mark's going to do a livestream Q&A session on Saturday afternoon too.

Click the link for a reminder about that one, tune in and ask any Qs that you've got about the course.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Will you be able to store the videos and access them again and again?
    Deijavoo said:
    Will you be able to store the videos and access them again and again?
    Yes.

But you don't need to store them.

You can download from Udemy to a mobile device if you want to do that (I've got them all on my iPad).

But you can watch them online as many times as you want, for as long as Udemy and the internet continue to exist.  
    edited June 2015
    I was thinking along the lines of quiting my job, relocating to a fell somewhere, preferably with some woodland, maybe a shack with a generator for phone, pc and tools. Maybe a lamp too.

In which case the internet won't exist. Then again, I'd lose this place!

:-) 

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    TTony;656917" said:
    For anyone wondering / worrying about the tools required for the course ...

NB - those are the essentials if you're going to do all the work yourself.  There are plenty of other tools that can be useful in making the various tasks quicker or easier, but they're not essential.

Tha bandsaw is probably the only tool that wouldn't be found in most reasonably complete toolboxes, but a local woodworking shop might be able to help out with those tasks?
    Just one question ... how will those 1/2" router bits fit in the 1/4" router? :-)

Sounds like a great course, I can see myself signing up.
  • BrianCBrianC Frets: 16
    Just one question ... how will those 1/2" router bits fit in the 1/4" router? :-)
    With a 1/4" shank
    Live link to the workshop, Q&A session coming up later ...

The course is now live, PM me for links to the special prices available ONLY to theFretBoard members.

It's £90 for the BYOG course (which is half-normal-price), plus you get the Design course for free, gratis, and nothing.

Or, if you just want to try out the Design course, that's available to FretBoard members for £5.

Madness!
    Wowzers!

Great price, I thought it would be 25% off. Now, can I afford to buy that whole tool list and the course at payday?