The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    Sri Lankan batsman Angelo Mathews timed out against Bangladesh today. Never seen that before. Controversial ... he had a problem with his helmet and obviously Bangladesh appealed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pigface said:
    Sri Lankan batsman Angelo Mathews timed out against Bangladesh today. Never seen that before. Controversial ... he had a problem with his helmet and obviously Bangladesh appealed.
    I saw this and I'm not sure whether I think the dismissal was just, or not.  There is seemingly a bit of confusion as to whether the helmet broke after the 2 minutes, or just before.  But then part of me thinks:

1. There is no excuse for it to be that close; and
    2. How did he not check his equipment before going out.

It also seems as though a second helmet was brought out that also broke.  Absolutely laughable.  The end result is that they were standing around for nearly 5 minutes.

My gut says the decision was correct... but I'm not sure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14309
    tFB Trader
    Is that the greatest ODI - Maxwell 201 not out - a 202 run partnership with Cummins who only scored 12 - Incredible
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Quite a game. I tested positive for Covid this morning so it was just what I needed. Fair passed the time. ;)
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    What channel are the highlights on? 
    tFB Trader
    camf said:
    Quite a game. I tested positive for Covid this morning so it was just what I needed. Fair passed the time. ;)
    Only seen the highlights 
    coming out at 91-7 and facing a hat trick delivery 

think the win % was down to 1% at that stage 

hope all okay with Covid 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    camf said:
    Only seen the highlights 
    coming out at 91-7 and facing a hat trick delivery 

think the win % was down to 1% at that stage 

hope all okay with Covid 
    Cheers @guitars4you. I’ve had a bit of a run of relatively mild illness so this was the last thing I needed, but other than feeling a bit flat and the usual cold/flu type symptoms, I’m okay. It was a spectacular knock. It’s bound to be on YouTube before long… worth seeing. 
  • pigface said:
    I saw this and I'm not sure whether I think the dismissal was just, or not.  There is seemingly a bit of confusion as to whether the helmet broke after the 2 minutes, or just before.  But then part of me thinks:

1. There is no excuse for it to be that close; and
    2. How did he not check his equipment before going out.

It also seems as though a second helmet was brought out that also broke.  Absolutely laughable.  The end result is that they were standing around for nearly 5 minutes.

My gut says the decision was correct... but I'm not sure.
    Yeah, I'm a bit torn on this one.

On the one hand, it seems harsh because "his helmet broke" but the reality is even if his helmet hadn't broken, he wouldn't have been ready facing inside the two minutes, so tough cheese really. 

I think on reflection I'm fine with it being given out, even if it does seem harsh. It does strike me that Cricket does seem to be a bit of an oddity in that there's a whole bunch of laws that really, really upset people if they're enforced. You don't get that in other sports and whilst on paper the whole "spirit of cricket" thing is nice I'm not convinced its compatible with a sport played by professionals instead of amateurs like in the old days.
    The procession seems to have had a bit of a stutter. I never thought I’d find myself saying “Go Australia!” Game on. 
  • India started so well against the Australians but it’s not to be  .
    Bloody Australians have won the world championship again .
    tFB Trader
    You have to hand it to them, they know how to win a tournament 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9346
    Honestly, I’m delighted Australia beat India.
    I really can’t stand the Indian fans. They’re constantly trolling the England pages on twitter/x and they’d have been unbearable if they’d won.
    They’ve spent the last 4 years saying we only won because it was in our backyard etc so this feels sweet, even though the old enemy have taken it
  • I don't really find Indian fans any more (or less) insufferable than English or Australian ones tbh but there is something glorious about watching India get pumped in a (home) World Cup final in front of a half empty stadium. 

Speaking as a neutral, for me the best team won it overall. Australia were the centre of all the best bits of this world cup - specifically that game vs new zealand and then maxwells double century so you won't hear me complain at all. 

• TanninTannin Frets: 5497
    I'm just happy that someone beat the pitch doctorers. I don't much care about limited overs cricket - well, let's be honest, I care about it so little I didn't even know the World Cup was on until the other day - but this caper of doctoring a pitch during an international tournament is very, very low. They should give the cup to New Zealand, who were the victims of it.
  • The Pitch Doctorors would be a good name for a covers band if you ask me 
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4558
    Hope you're listening to/watching this.  Three wickets needed for victory in India.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

tFB Trader
    Gave up on this test after day 2 - Yee of little faith - I’m not religious, but Jesus Christ, Pope is the saviour 
    Top quality ebb-and-flow test cricket. 
    tFB Trader
    When you are in a jam then call on Hartley
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    Wow.

Just...wow.