The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11304
    Good performace, we need to do the same on ?Wednesday? against NZ.

Adil bowling a bit like Adele at the moment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    scrumhalf said:
    Good performace, we need to do the same on ?Wednesday? against NZ.

Adil bowling a bit like Adele at the moment.
    I bet Adele would sing the national anthem

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    Well England won, now to beat NZ.
    Easy....ha we will see. I’m confident. One always is after several beers by the swimming pool. I think PAK will beat Bangladesh which means England have to win, or an extremely unlikely tie. 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    Easy....ha we will see. I’m confident. One always is after several beers by the swimming pool. I think PAK will beat Bangladesh which means England have to win, or an extremely unlikely tie. 
    You never know with Pakistan.

I'm nervous about NZ.  It's up in Durham.  If there is any grass on the pitch, and NZ win the toss and put us in, I could easily see Boult reducing us to 40 for 5.
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    You never know with Pakistan.

I'm nervous about NZ.  It's up in Durham.  If there is any grass on the pitch, and NZ win the toss and put us in, I could easily see Boult reducing us to 40 for 5.
    It goes both ways though. Woakes could reduce NZ to 40-5. Twill be a close game regardless. And if England win and qualify, having beaten two of the most likely semi finalists and losing to Australia, it’s any ones tournament. 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Kohli whining about the short boundary... were India not allowed to target it too? Pretty pathetic excuse. If he’s looking for a reason for the loss, he could start by asking why Dhoni played for his average, rather than hit out in an attempt to win. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    Kohli whining about the short boundary... were India not allowed to target it too? Pretty pathetic excuse. If he’s looking for a reason for the loss, he could start by asking why Dhoni played for his average, rather than hit out in an attempt to win. 
    fantastic batsman - No 2 ways about it - But IMO he is far to arrogant - Above comments just don't do him any favours - Surprised he did not moan about Roy okay to bat but don't believe he fielded at all (didn't Vince field throughout ?)

I thought that after such a great start, from around overs 25-35 we missed out - Credit to India to pull it back - With 200 on the board and 30 overs bowled, we had a chance to hit 370 +, so always  a bit worried we might have not achieved enough - I'm a big Root fan, but with such a good score already posted, not sure we needed Root to 'glue the innings together' at that stage - Would we have been better bringing in a more aggressive hitter like Butler, to keep the momentum going ? - We could always have gone back to Root if we had have lost 2 quick wickets - Hindsight eh ? - But great result in the end 

Bairstow's fielding was immense - But a good effort by all
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
     Surprised he did not moan about Roy okay to bat but don't believe he fielded at all (didn't Vince field throughout ?)

Possibly because Jadeja fielded throughout our innings despite not being in India's starting XI?
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    So who are going to be the quicks, come the ashes?

• SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    So who are going to be the quicks, come the ashes?

Probably 3 from Archer, Broad, Anderson, Wood & Woakes, with Stokes being the 4th seamer.

England really need a left armer, as their pace attack is all a bit samey. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Anderson and Woakes for sure. Archer seems to be nursing a side injury and Wood is injury prone too so I doubt either will play all the Tests. Broad hasn't been tearing up any trees for Notts this season (whereas Anderson's average is ridiculous, albeit in div 2).
    tFB Trader
    India just scored a 6 early on at Edgbaston - on the short boundary - Is Kohli smiling now or still moaning ??
    Stuckfast said:
    Anderson and Woakes for sure. Archer seems to be nursing a side injury and Wood is injury prone too so I doubt either will play all the Tests. Broad hasn't been tearing up any trees for Notts this season (whereas Anderson's average is ridiculous, albeit in div 2).

As far as I know, Woakes's knees are a bit iffy, and they are having to manage his workload.  He's ok for ten overs in a ODI every few days, but I'm not sure if he would be capable of bowling 20 overs in a day, and coming back and bowling another 15 the next day.

Anderson is a certainty, as is Stokes.  You need two more quick bowlers, unless it's a raging Bunsen where you play two spinners.  I think Archer will be one of those two.

That probably leaves the last place between Broad, Woakes, and Wood.  Playing Archer and Wood together would be a gamble.  They won't want to overload Archer by making him bowl too many overs, they don't want Stokes bowling 20 overs a day, and Wood hasn't been durable.  Given Woakes's knee issues, I suspect they will go with Broad.

Personally, I wouldn't pick Broad.  I think he's past his best.  If he plays, he'll probably end up like Gillespie in 2005.  Personally I'd pick Wood and go with Leach as the spinner.  I think he could have the capability to tie up an end and keep it tight, and reduce the workload on the quicks.  Moeen and Rashid can't do that.  They are attacking options but they can't bowl dry in unfavourable conditions.

Meanwhile, India are off to a flyer against Bangladesh.  Looks like Pakistan might be the only side we need to worry about now, as Sri Lanka's net run rate is much worse than ours.

I shouldn't have said Anderson is a certainty!  He's just hobbled off mid-over in a Lancashire match.  Potential calamity.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941

Back to the CWC:

From BBC cricket commentary:

"England need India to win today. If Bangladesh win today, they join Pakistan on 9 points. Combine that with an England defeat tomorrow, and fourth place would go to the winner of the Pakistan/Bangladesh tie. Just in case any of us were feeling re-assured after Sunday...."

It looks like Bangladesh haven't turned up against India so far as India romp to 135-0 after 20 over, so Bangladesh may well fall out.

tFB Trader
    Has someone changed the wicket - First 15/20 overs and great - last 10/15 overs poor - Might struggle to get 300 now , when 350-380 looked like par
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11304
    We're making very hard work of this. 
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Has someone changed the wicket - First 15/20 overs and great - last 10/15 overs poor - Might struggle to get 300 now , when 350-380 looked like par

It's not like the Kiwi's get a new wicket at the start of their innings......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3496
    What's happened to Jos Buttler?  He's had a relatively poor WC. 

For a guy who's held by some of the Sky pundits as the best player in the world he's not really looked up to it.  
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4703

Reasonable end to the innings, should have scored more but gives us a decent chance.