What's Hot

Comments

• SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Not enough. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    Not enough. 
    at least 30 short based on what the initial projected score was - Probably around 70/80 short on a potential score when Bairstow was still in - Stokes was poor today - The issue is not how many runs he scored it was the amount of dot balls and Morgan little better 

I think we have just batted ourselves out of the competition
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    cj73 said:
    Has someone changed the wicket - First 15/20 overs and great - last 10/15 overs poor - Might struggle to get 300 now , when 350-380 looked like par

It's not like the Kiwi's get a new wicket at the start of their innings......
    No but they can now ignore our first 15/20 over score and bat for a controlled 6 an over rate without taking any risks
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3496
    2 early wickets.  The game should be England's. 

Sensational catch for the second wicket. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    Don't like TMS talking about NZ and Pakistan net run rates.  That's asking for trouble.  Probably a 200 run stand between these two now.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11304
    Wicket seems to have changed somwhat. NZ need 180 off 23 overs. Not impossible but surely unlikely. 
  • Job done.  
    My jinx worked again. You’re welcome. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    cj73 said:
    Has someone changed the wicket - First 15/20 overs and great - last 10/15 overs poor - Might struggle to get 300 now , when 350-380 looked like par

It's not like the Kiwi's get a new wicket at the start of their innings......
    No but they can now ignore our first 15/20 over score and bat for a controlled 6 an over rate without taking any risks

I think they'd rather ignore their own first 15/20...   ;-)        
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited July 2019
    NZ look happy to poke and prod for singles, the wind has left their sails. Barring a sudden exceptional flurry of batting England should be through and face India, again at Edgbaston. I fear India will be harder to beat 2nd time around.

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    edited July 2019 tFB Trader
    What's happened to Jos Buttler?  He's had a relatively poor WC. 

For a guy who's held by some of the Sky pundits as the best player in the world he's not really looked up to it.  
    He’s that one of a kind type of player who will turn in on in the semis/final, ie when it really matters. A week ago I stated in this very thread that England didn’t deserve to reach the semis. If you beat India and NZ, then I guess you deserve it. Reaching the semis is an achievement, whoever we play, as long as we Play  to our potential, game on. But I’m waiting for The Ashes.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    tFB Trader
    Anderson is injured, but 4 weeks to recover. Should be fine.

my ashes lineup is: (for the first test, cos let’s be honest, the selectors won’t look past broad and Anderson, with good reason) 

1) Roy
    2) to be decided
    3) to be deicded
    4) Root
    5) stokes
    6) buttler
    7) bairstow
    8) woakes
    9) what was that off spinner who debuted last summer? Him. Forgot his name sorry...(if no spinner, then Curran) 
    10) broad
    11) Anderson 

for the second test, I expect archer willl come into play. 

the problem with the “to be decided spots” is there isn’t much to come. I’d give Ballance another go, decent average at test level.  Ballance at 3, it will never happen but I’d play Hameed at 2, yes he’s been shocking for 2 years but this is test cricket, not county. His test record is decent against a decent team.

id try and find a place for Curran. Left arm, and I HATE the word but he’s got the “spunk” which is rare. He’d Relish the occasion. And after last summer (and his IPL) he can feel hard done by if he is not selected. 

On on a side note, i feel that Tom Curran actually playing in the World Cup means England would have qualified for the semis last week. Loves the occasion. 

If Ballance gets ANOTHER chance then we really are in trouble. He got found out after a few matches in test cricket, and his  test average is still inflated from those early knocks, before bowlers worked out that he had a weakness against the straight ball. 
    tFB Trader
    ^true, but there ain’t much else! 

Also, Trescothick (circa 28) and Vaughan (30s) had bang average first class avaerages when they were selected for international duty, sometimes it takes bit of “spunk” (Christ I hate saying it) which is why I think Hameed should play. He’a as defensive as Cook.  

The other one is Vince, he might be at 3 for the first test 

• GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    edited July 2019
    Adil Rashid not singing the national anthem. Appalling. Are you not proud to be in that English shirt boy?
    How wittering on about saving an irrelevant but admittedly nice old woman from a fate as yet undetermined, thus ensuring her happiness, but who appears to in no danger whatsoever, is relevant to a team sport is beyond my comprehension.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    Adil Rashid not singing the national anthem. Appalling. Are you not proud to be in that English shirt boy?
    How wittering on about saving an irrelevant but admittedly nice old woman from a fate as yet undetermined, thus ensuring her happiness, but who appears to in no danger whatsoever, is relevant to a team sport is beyond my comprehension.

They should replace it with Jerusalem. 

^true, but there ain’t much else! 

Also, Trescothick (circa 28) and Vaughan (30s) had bang average first class avaerages when they were selected for international duty, sometimes it takes bit of “spunk” (Christ I hate saying it) which is why I think Hameed should play. He’a as defensive as Cook.  

The other one is Vince, he might be at 3 for the first test 
    The cupboard is bare. You’re right about Trescothick & Vaughan’s FC averages when they first got picked for England. However, they hit the ground running, and continued to play well. Ballance started well, got found out, got dropped, came back, continued to be found out, and got dropped again. I don’t think he’ll get a 3rd chance, but you never know with the wheelie bin and the chuckle brothers in charge of England cricket now. 
    Hameed is not a test player. Not in a million years. He plays with his hands far too low. He's averaging 30 in Div 2 which is barely club premier league standard.

Roy and Burns, make Root bat at 3. If you need an outsider, Dom Sibley is the one that's said pick me. Alternatively Bairstow bats top 3 and Foakes keeps.

If Archer isn't selected, the selectors need certifying. The Aussies would be delighted if England didn't pick him. Sam Curran, in August, will be effectively a long distance spinner.

You'd not want Woakes and Broad playing in the same side if Mark Wood is fit. It'll be August not May or June.

Re World Cup, England need to recall Mo for Rashid. We're a batter short at the moment- against India at Edgbaston I'd be inclined to go seam only in any case.

tFB Trader
    Not enough. 
    at least 30 short based on what the initial projected score was - Probably around 70/80 short on a potential score when Bairstow was still in - Stokes was poor today - The issue is not how many runs he scored it was the amount of dot balls and Morgan little better 

I think we have just batted ourselves out of the competition
    ye of little faith - good job done in the end

I still think we need to look at the last 20 overs - 2 matches on the trot, v India + NZ we have been in a great position at the 30 over mark and not taken further advantage of it - Last 20 overs today for around 100 runs with 8/9 wickets in hand - that might cost us one day
    On a personal level, I have the lovely 600 mile round trip to Berwick on Tweed on Sunday for MCC for Durham's 200th celebrations, MCC v Eastcote on 21/7 then 3 days of more MCC first week of August.

I am so unfit that switching to a 1.5mm plectrum constitutes a weight training regime.