Finished! Final Pics! Walnut re-body of Peavey EVH

What's Hot

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Megii said:
    Looks quite nice.... :D Tremendous work Andy, the look of the binding has been judged perfectly, just to pick one example. And actually, despite what I said earlier, I think the owner has probably made the right call staying with the flat top. One heck of a bit of walnut that is! :)
    Thanks, @Megii   :)

I'm just about to post a thread which is related to this which I think all the Fretboarders will think I've gone completely ga-ga ... but what's new :))
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Megii said:
    Looks quite nice.... :D Tremendous work Andy, the look of the binding has been judged perfectly, just to pick one example. And actually, despite what I said earlier, I think the owner has probably made the right call staying with the flat top. One heck of a bit of walnut that is! :)
    Thanks, @Megii   :)

I'm just about to post a thread which is related to this which I think all the Fretboarders will think I've gone completely ga-ga ... but what's new :))
    The weird thread is here if anyone needs proof that I am indeed two notes short of an octave...
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16735
    surely this pic is all the proof you need that leaving it "unfinished" is a bad idea!!!

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27631

Call me shallow.

Say I'm only interested in appearances.

I don't care.

I'll have it.  Thanks, Andy.

(Wow!)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1800
    I'm enjoying this thread a lot.  LOvely work you're doing and it's a great looking body.

I'm getting inspired to build my own but I know I wouldn't be able to match the super high skill levels
    WezV said:
    surely this pic is all the proof you need that leaving it "unfinished" is a bad idea!!!

Yes....I hope so
    edited July 2015
    TTony said:

Call me shallow.

Say I'm only interested in appearances.

I don't care.

I'll have it.  Thanks, Andy.

(Wow!)

:))
    edited July 2015
    the_jaffa said:
    I'm enjoying this thread a lot.  LOvely work you're doing and it's a great looking body.

I'm getting inspired to build my own but I know I wouldn't be able to match the super high skill levels
    Keep that inspiration!  I learn a little bit more with each one I do, then see some of the other members' mind-bogglingly good builds and think "how on earth did they do THAT?" But then I ask and then almost always the great folk round here share their secrets.

The other thing is that I also still make at least one cock-up per build (often more and sometimes big ones) but I'm getting better at finding a way out of them without confining the bits to the BBQ :)

So yes, build your skills progressively, but - whatever - do go for it!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27631
    The other thing is that I also still make at least one cock-up per build 
    Ahhhh ... the best learning opportunities!

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2425
    Andy this is mind bogglingly (a word) brilliant!
    And your man should be made aware that he'll miss out on that Tru Oil smell!
    Sarge said:
    Andy this is mind bogglingly (a word) brilliant!
    And your man should be made aware that he'll miss out on that Tru Oil smell!

Thanks, @Sarge. Flattery will get you everywhere :))
    edited July 2015
    Bit more progress before the squall hit the 'workshop' (erm...patio).

Having made an impression in paper of the control chamber external dimensions:

I then had a paper template for each of the covers:

Then traced with soft pencil to the joined slivers of walnut I'd cut and joined earlier:

Cut with a coping saw and sanded to fit.

Still a bit of tidying up to do but this is broadly how they will look:

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • nutboxnutbox Frets: 34
    Hi Andy , Did you just use normal plain paper for that,and how did you make the impression ? I need to make some covers for my ibanez,after I refinish it and the dean razorback. Cheers dazz
    nutbox said:
    Hi Andy , Did you just use normal plain paper for that,and how did you make the impression ? I need to make some covers for my ibanez,after I refinish it and the dean razorback. Cheers dazz
    Hi, Dazz
    Yes - just photocopy paper

Andy
    nutbox said:
    Just ran my thumb around the edge of the cavity...
  • nutboxnutbox Frets: 34
    Cool cheers Andy ,it never cross my mind to do it like that. Cheers dazz
    I did a mock-up prior to talking through final options with the owner this afternoon.  Still a huge number of things to do, but it really is now starting to look like a guitar!

This is broadly how the colour will look once it's been Tru-oiled - and YES, the owner AGREES :)  :

It's going to contrast nicely with the neck.

All the control chamber access has been done (the 3-way access was a scary one!) and the heel has been shaped and screw positions recessed:

Not much progress likely over the next 3 or 4 days, but hopefully next week should break the back of what's left - and hopefully not literally :))
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnBJohnB Frets: 121
    Can't believe you didn't grain match the cavity covers ;-) .  Seriously though, looks awesome :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

JohnB said:
    Can't believe you didn't grain match the cavity covers ;-) .  Seriously though, looks awesome :-)
    I know...shoddy job...heart not in it really... :))
    edited July 2015
    The tru-oil has started doing what it knows it does best...finishing off a nice bit of walnut!

The couple of base coats are on and set and I've done the first two slurry and buff coats on the top.  Already, it's starting to look great and feel great:

The owner wanted a particular style of knob, matching the 'proper' EVH he also plays...it turns out they are Fender Jazz Bass knobs, so I was able to source them quickly and easily:

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom