Game of Thrones

What's Hot

Comments

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Another great episode. I'm sure at least one of those White Walkers were already dead though? Unless they all look the same apart from the King one?

I thought that, didn't Snow and Meera kill the same White Walker?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Boobies!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24687
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5181
    Garthy said:
    Another great episode. I'm sure at least one of those White Walkers were already dead though? Unless they all look the same apart from the King one?

I thought that, didn't Snow and Meera kill the same White Walker?

Bad news if they come back. Although if that one guy is so shit, why would they keep resurrecting him?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• tbmtbm Frets: 585
    I had avoided specifics, but noted how social media was going batshit about the episode. It was decent, but i was waiting for the real wrench folk were alluding to. It was a bit sad and all, but we hadn't seen Hodor - a peripheral character anyway - for ages, and I found it hard to care that much beyond "oh, thats how he got his name".

Sure i suppose we'll see, the incident could grow more important as characters continue to develop. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24687
    For me the sadness was that his death was arranged by Bran's powers, meaning that Hodor only had 1 task in life  - to die for Bran.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27336
    fretmeister;1083839" said:
    For me the sadness was that his death was arranged by Bran's powers, meaning that Hodor only had 1 task in life  - to die for Bran.
    this! It's not just that Hodor died, but the realisation that he was always going to, despite being one of the only genuinely kind heroic characters. It's pretty much the definition of Tragedy.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4668
    Not too much in this weeks episode, obviously setting up for something big and grand
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Yeah bit of a slow one, good to see uncle Stark back. The dragons still look shit mind.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7596
    Finally confirmation that Cold Hands is Benjen.
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7596
    Anyway I was wondering earlier:

Most noble death: Syrio Forel or Hodor?
    Red ones are better. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2943
    Was this the first episode were no one died? 

TimmyO said:
    Finally confirmation that Cold Hands is Benjen.
    Schrodinger's Coldhands- in the show he's Benjen, in the books he isn't.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27336
    Was this the first episode were no one died? 
    Good question. I feel like it shouldn't be, but not sure.

Google suggest a couple in the early seasons, but it's certainly not a common thing!

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3104
    The calm before the storm...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bit late to this thread because I only started watching game of thrones this year (borrowed some box sets) but I totally called Uncle Benjen coming to the rescue of Bran when Hodor died -they weren't going to get far by themselves but clearly weren't going to be killed off. As someone who hasn't read the books the whole cold hands character thing was entirely lost on me though.
    As someone who hasn't read the books the whole cold hands character thing was entirely lost on me though.

Basically, Sam and Gilly are attacked by wights on their journey south from Craster's Keep to the Wall and are rescued by a masked man in a Night's Watch cloak with black, cold hands (hence the name) who never gives his name or shows his face. They arrive at the Nightfort in time to meet Bran and his gang going north, so Coldhands (who can't pass the wall for some reason) basically turns around and guides Bran north. He's with them when they arrive at the Three-eyed Raven's cave but can't enter there either for some reason (guy can't get a break). He's never heard from again after that, but in the books Bran hasn't left the cave. Yet.

It's heavily implied that the Coldhands is dead and somehow reanimated, but clearly not one of the regular wights under the control of the White Walkers. There's been a fan theory around for quite a while that he's Benjen, but apparenly GRRM has shot this down (see my last post- the text is the original manuscript for A Dance With Dragons, the green pencil is GRRM's editor, the red pen is GRRM).

Apparently the show has decided to mash up the return of Benjen (which hasn't happened in the books but almost certainly will at some point given the number of times Jon and others conveniently wonder what happened to poor uncle Benjen, lost beyond the Wall...) with the Coldhands character, who would have been in series 4 if they were following the books faithfully.