Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Mine is all packed up for gigging tonight or I'd have a play
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28381
    I don't know why not. That sounds like it'd work.

I think my three-in-series idea would have to be with separate wet and dry paths.

Probably easiest just to try it - I think your idea is more right than mine was. Ta. :)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24369
    Cabicular said:
    Why not 3 single shot delays all with different times

That has to be the key.

It's a bit Brian May in approach.

I will have a play tonight to see if I can work it out.

Apart from being a hugely fun bit of kit, I'm really loving the idea that it is also a puzzle, with challenges set by others. It's like audio chess but without the chance of being abused by bishops. Ish.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2453
    Just had the word. We are shipping a load more units on the 20th so if anyone is waiting for one, not too long to wait. ;-)

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    New firmware and editor updates on the Line 6 site
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Looks like the f/ware is mostly about improving the editor stuff - which is no bad thing, but a little unexciting. Sounds like the editor is pretty much full-feature now though which is ace.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Sporky said:
    I have had an idea for a patch that would be very useful for a writing project but my brain is refusing to work out how to do it.

Basically I would like to play in a note, and have that repeated exactly three times at the same volume.

Three 0% feedback delays in series all with the same delay time (probably tap tempo in practice)?

I essentially want to be able to create four-part harmonies where each part is a semibreve and they shift in turn. Almost like a round, but single notes.

Possibly if I could explain it better I'd be able to work out how to do it!
    Pattern delay??
    Two delays!

One set to 1 second, 0% feedback, 50% mix, the other to 2 seconds, 0% feedback, 50% mix.

So the first delay copies the note after a second. The second delay copies the note after 2 seconds, and then copies the 1 second delay at 3 seconds.

Then set the tap tempo to 120bpm so that the tap LED works like a metronome. Perfick. Now I just need to work out what it is I need to play for this to work.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    Two delays!

One set to 1 second, 0% feedback, 50% mix, the other to 2 seconds, 0% feedback, 50% mix.

So the first delay copies the note after a second. The second delay copies the note after 2 seconds, and then copies the 1 second delay at 3 seconds.

Then set the tap tempo to 120bpm so that the tap LED works like a metronome. Perfick. Now I just need to work out what it is I need to play for this to work.
    Aye, I used to do that a lot with regular forwards delay and a reversed delay. You can hear how it all congeals into a sexy mush in the middle of tracks like Black Iron Prison, Wake, and the intro to Calligraphy (plus volume pedal)

When they're actually in sync with each other, it provides worlds of inspiration!
    That sounds intriguing - I'll see what I can come up with.

Did you say something about always running everything into the front of the amp?
    Sporky said:
    That sounds intriguing - I'll see what I can come up with.

Did you say something about always running everything into the front of the amp?
    That's how I prefer it. I've got a video coming soon on that actually, but basically my vibe is this - delay and reverb in the FX loop don't get textural or gritty enough for me. So putting them up front gives me that. But if you approach it in the same way as you would the FX loop, things get pretty swampy fast. When going in front of the amp I kind of use the following guidelines:

The higher the repeats, the lower the mix
    The lower the repeats, the higher the mix
    The cleaner the amp tone, the more you can get away with modulation, grit, and filtering on the delay
    The dirtier the amp tone, the more straight-up the delay tone needs to be to allow the amp gain to take centre stage

I've heard people say things like "why spend £400 on a delay pedal just to put it in front of a high-gain amp sound. What's the point!?" but nothing could be further from the truth in my experience - getting the gain and mix correctly dialed in on the amp and the pedal can lead to loads of wonderful and unique sounds.

Generally unless I want something extra special, my mix wont go above 15% on the delays when I'm using any channel other than clean. But I have my repeats pretty high in those cases, and it depends what the song calls for too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Coolio. That's not how I've done it before but what's the point in not trying new ways?

I've been wondering about running the delay and reverb in a parallel path with a bit of dirt at the end, with the serious filth in a separate path.
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    rossyamaha;1071265" said:
    Just had the word. We are shipping a load more units on the 20th so if anyone is waiting for one, not too long to wait. ;-)
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    when are these Helix jobbies coming back into UK stores? Clearly all sold out everywhere apart from a few rack versions hogging the shelves....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Erm... quote in the post above yours, next lot shipping on the 20th.
    :)) how did I miss that? can't see what time we posted but was it close ie within a minute or 2, or maybe I'm just blind ha.
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    So... If they are shipping on the 20th.... How long do you think it will take GuitarGuitar to send me mine? :D
    siraxeman said:
    :)) how did I miss that? can't see what time we posted but was it close ie within a minute or 2, or maybe I'm just blind ha.
    About eleven hours before0

Maybe you were distracted by the seal?

If you hover over the date under the username then it'll tell you the time it was posted. :)
    Seal ?? I dunno lol....but yeah I can see the post time now right under the username. When did that happen ? :)) (yes I know its always been there....) Dunno, about the seal but something caused me to miss the obvious. Oh well...
    ...oh that seal!! :))