Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Cabicular;1106371" said:
    I never liked that effect anyway
    Not in my repertoire so I don't know what a good one sounds like
    It always sounds like a dying valve amp to me
    I'll be honest I only ever use that effect late at night with a beer. Not much call for it anywhere else! But it's one of my musical escapes

It should sound like Bridge Of Sighs by Robin Trower and don't let anyone ever tell you differently
    I can get pretty close to Trowers "Bridge of Sighs" using it. It isn't quite as extreme as the Roger Mayer VoodooVibe but even so I matches my old Univibe. You need the mix on 50% to get the sound you're after. Rate of 3 or so, intensity 10.0, and play around with the lamp bias a bit.
    :)
    Also put your compressor and drive pedals before it in the classic Hendrix pedalboard config.
    If you've tried all of that and it still ain't sounding right are you using the fx in stereo? Because I'll have to come back to you with that one. :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    johnny9fingers;1107646" said:
    johnonguitar said:

Cabicular;1106371" said:I never liked that effect anyway

Not in my repertoire so I don't know what a good one sounds like

It always sounds like a dying valve amp to me

I'll be honest I only ever use that effect late at night with a beer. Not much call for it anywhere else! But it's one of my musical escapes

It should sound like Bridge Of Sighs by Robin Trower and don't let anyone ever tell you differently

I can get pretty close to Trowers "Bridge of Sighs" using it. It isn't quite as extreme as the Roger Mayer VoodooVibe but even so I matches my old Univibe. You need the mix on 50% to get the sound you're after. Rate of 3 or so, intensity 10.0, and play around with the lamp bias a bit.:)Also put your compressor and drive pedals before it in the classic Hendrix pedalboard config.If you've tried all of that and it still ain't sounding right are you using the fx in stereo? Because I'll have to come back to you with that one. :)
    Nah was just in mono!

I went back and tried that again and I dunno.... It just misses that weird phasing/on the verge of screaming/feedbacky thingy that makes me go ooooooooh inside. Plus I find it kinda blankets the guitar a bit???

To late now I just ordered a board that would fit my Vibronaut too :')
    Just order a Swan Flightcase Sise 3 pedalboard. I was going to get a custom order made but it gets quite expenibe compared to some of their "offers" so I said fuck it, get the bigger one and stick more pedals on it John.

I took their "flight panel" option which apparently "reduces weight by 27%" so we will see if it's just a ridiculously enormous beast that's heavier Han the moon or not when it comes.

Also, I can't use the Line 6 expression pedal. I feel like I'm standing on a toy that's about to break. Going to grab a Boss FV-500L as mine is the H and doesn't quite work it.

Or... I could just put mine before the Helix seeing as it will probably only ever be used for volume anyway
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I wouldn't mind seeing pics of that
    I only use the exp for volume
    I have my own budda wah I can't bring myself to sell
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2416
    Couple of quick questions:

1. Does the Helix colour your tone when you use it in the FX loop of an amp? I have a BOSS GT-100, and that does colour the tone a bit, so looking for the Helix to be transparent

2. .......anyone selling one? ;)
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    It acts as an interface, right? Will it interface with an iPad (with the right cables, obviously)?

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7807
    FarleyUK said:

1. Does the Helix colour your tone when you use it in the FX loop of an amp? I have a BOSS GT-100, and that does colour the tone a bit, so looking for the Helix to be transparent

There's one in the classifieds right now I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    Cabicular;1107264" said:
    I've got the high pass at 4.5k and still got the presence at 0 on the power amps
    Maybe it's my ears I have a Blackstar Artisan which I find ice pick bright but either it's faulty or I'm the only one in the world :(
    Have you done a narrow Q high boost frequency sweep with EQ to see if there's a peak somewhere? Hit a chord and sweep a narrow EQ boost - you will know when you find it. The fact you're still finding it too much with a low pass at 4.5khz might mean it is a peak lower than that. A narrow peak around 2-4khz can still sound very bright on a guitar.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24422
    hobbio said:
    It acts as an interface, right? Will it interface with an iPad (with the right cables, obviously)?
    Never done it - but the Helix facebook group chaps seem to like doing that.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Cabicular;1107264" said:
    I've got the high pass at 4.5k and still got the presence at 0 on the power amps
    Maybe it's my ears I have a Blackstar Artisan which I find ice pick bright but either it's faulty or I'm the only one in the world :(
    Have you done a narrow Q high boost frequency sweep with EQ to see if there's a peak somewhere? Hit a chord and sweep a narrow EQ boost - you will know when you find it. The fact you're still finding it too much with a low pass at 4.5khz might mean it is a peak lower than that. A narrow peak around 2-4khz can still sound very bright on a guitar.
    No I haven't 
    But I'm going to :)
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    hey just thinking - does the Helix have a ceiling fan simulator effect built into it ? This is a biggie for me since I hast not a ceiling fan of multiple. one or any speed options. Bugger.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    FarleyUK;1108680" said:

Do you mean does the Helix colour your tone when the signal is just passing through it or do the effects colour your tone?
    FarleyUK;1108680" said:

Do you mean does the Helix colour your tone when the signal is just passing through it or do the effects colour your tone?
    Sorry - I mean does the Helix, with all FX off, colour or suck the tone to or from the amp in any way?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    FarleyUK;1108723" said:
    johnonguitar said:

FarleyUK;1108680" said:Couple of quick questions:

Sorry - I mean does the Helix, with all FX off, colour or suck the tone to or from the amp in any way?
    Not through my setup and I haven't adjusted anything.

When people say "tone suck" they are usually referring to a slight loss of high end and that's usually caused by gain problems. You end up hearing a drop in high frequencies before you actually hear a drop in volume so check with the Boss that your output gain isn't causing the problem!
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4142
    edited June 2016
    @FarleyUK - mine's for sale, give me a shout if you're interested.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    siraxeman said:
    hey just thinking - does the Helix have a ceiling fan simulator effect built into it ? This is a biggie for me since I hast not a ceiling fan of multiple. one or any speed options. Bugger.
    I've copyrighted that!!! Line 6 can pay me for the magic formula if they want :)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24422
    siraxeman;1108706" said:
    I feel cool when I use it. Does that count?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    no
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    OK, so looks like I'm actually getting a real life genuine Helix (after having been on the initial waiting list for 6 months and then cancelling my preorder!). Very exciting!

Just wondered if someone can clear this up for me though.... I'd like to have the majority of the switches in stomp mode (i.e. they are all dedicated to turning on or off a certain effect), but I want some of them to do multiple things when pressed - change the channel on my JVM410HJS via midi, add more delay etc.

Is it possible to have this combination of pedals / changes in a preset?
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7807
    FarleyUK said:
    OK, so looks like I'm actually getting a real life genuine Helix (after having been on the initial waiting list for 6 months and then cancelling my preorder!). Very exciting!

Just wondered if someone can clear this up for me though.... I'd like to have the majority of the switches in stomp mode (i.e. they are all dedicated to turning on or off a certain effect), but I want some of them to do multiple things when pressed - change the channel on my JVM410HJS via midi, add more delay etc.

Is it possible to have this combination of pedals / changes in a preset?
    I've not tried that exact setup.  but I do have one footswitch turning one delay and a reverb on, and a 2nd external reverb off... so multiple assignment is definitely possible.